Weymouth (home)
November 1999

Go back to the Ciderspace Home Page
News, gossip, and speculation around the club
Results and fixtures frenzy!
The Ciderspace Message Board
Read our Player Profiles and Stats
Individual Articles, Opinion and Photo Galleries
The Players and Officials tell us what they think
Anorak's Corner!
Features on those sides we love to beat
News and Information from around the Nationwide Conference
Where to go next
Yeovil Town 2 Weymouth 1

Patmore (76, 1-0)
Tisdale (84, 2-0)
Laws (pen 87, 2-1)

Attendance : 3,196 Officials

Mr D Spicer (Totton)
R Greenwood(red trim)
I Ibbeson(yellow trim)

Line-Up & Formation

Tony Pennock

David Piper

Terry Skiverton

Kevan Brown

Dean Chandler

Jamie Pitman

Ben Smith

Rob Cousins

Paul Tisdale

Matt Hayfield

Warren Patmore
Substitutes :
David Norton (for Smith, 86)
Jason Eaton (for Hayfield, 70)
Steve Thompson (not used)
Tony Pounder (for Pitman, 87)
Glen Poole (not used)

Opposition Line-Up :
1. Danny Potter, 2. Mark Gammon, 3. Matthew Hale, 4. Alex Browne, 5. John Waldock, 6. Matty Hare, 7. Mark Robinson, 8. Ian Hutchinson, 9. Peter Knox, 10. David Laws, 11. Anthony Tilley.

Substitutes :
Lee Bradford, Simon Browne, Andy Mason, Paul Adcock, Dan Claxton.
Bookings :
Yeovil : Brown (52, foul)
Weymouth : Laws (31, foul), Robinson (69, foul), Gammon (73, foul)
Team Selection :
No change in either side's starting XI from Sunday's game, the solitary difference coming on Yeovil's bench with Glen Poole coming in for Paul Steele.

First Half :

A smaller crowd than on Sunday, with only around 3-400 Weymouth fans travelling, but there was no reduction in atmosphere: Huish Park was bouncing right from the start. Proceedings began where they had finished from the weekend, with Yeovil having the lions share of the possession. It was backs-to the-wall stuff from the Terras right from the start, but they defended bravely throughout, always making it difficult for the home team to have a clear shot on goal.

The first chance fell the Glovers way as early as the 2nd minute but Patmore and Tisdale got in each others way as each tried to burst through on goal. Dean Chandler showed a lovely touch immediately afterwards but his low drive was well saved by Danny Potter, the first of many fine saves by the Terras keeper tonight.

Yeovil could have had a penalty in the 19th minute when the ball appeared to be handled by a Weymouth defender but referee Mr Spicer - having a much better game than he enjoyed on Sunday - was having none of it. Yeovil were peppering the visitors goal, or rather attempting to, unfortunately rather too many efforts were going high, wide and handsome; Patmore and Chandler in particular being guilty of profligacy. Still, as the saying goes - if you don't buy a ticket you can't win the raffle - at least chances were being created.

Such was the dominance of the home side that it wasn't until the half-hour mark that Weymouth had their first attempt on goal, and a fine effort it was. After yet another Yeovil attack fizzled out Ian Hutchinson broke down the left before finding David Laws on the edge of the box. His volley looked a goal all the way until Tony Pennock flung himself to his left and tipped the ball around the post - a truly magnificent save.

That was as good as it got for the visitors in the first half though. Yeovil dominated the rest of the half with Potter denying Ben Smith in particular with another good save, and the crowd witnessed a succession of Glovers queueing up to waste chances - Patmore, Piper, Hayfield and Chandler all failing to hit the target and make the keeper save. All square at half-time, but it really should have been over as a contest bar the shouting.

Half Time : Yeovil Town 0 Weymouth 0
Second Half :

And more of the same in the second half. Weymouth were trying to play on the break but Yeovil's defence looked supremely comfortable and the midfield was winning all the 50/50 balls. It was just where it mattered in the visitors penalty box that the home team weren't quite getting the run of the ball, though it must be said the Weymouth team were working their socks off closing down shots and blocking off attacks.

As the half wore on and the chances came and went it was starting to feel like one of those nights - it seemed that whatever Yeovil did there was always a defender on hand to block a shot or clear the ball where danger threatened. Weymouth were showing virtually nothing up front, but they were soaking up the pressure superbly. Jason Eaton replaced the tiring Matt Hayfield in the 70th minute however and his fresh legs seemed to add a new dimension up front and 5 minutes later the breakthrough finally came.

In the end the goal was simple: Yeovil were awarded a free kick wide on the right, David Piper flighted the ball into the back post and Warren PATMORE was at hand to head down and across the stranded Potter and into the corner of the net. How often have we seen him do that? Can't happen often enough for my liking! Huish Park erupted in relief and celebration and the noise was turned up a couple of notches.

Weymouth now had to chase the game and inevitably began to leave gaps at the back for Yeovil to exploit. Ben Smith tried one of his trademark 30-yard chips which cleared the crossbar by inches. Jason Eaton then came close after a flick on from Patmore, but yet again Potter produced an excellent save to deny the Yeovil forward. However in the 85th minute the Glovers got the 2nd goal which was the least their efforts deserved. A free kick was awarded on the edge of the D after a foul on Patmore and Paul TISDALE stepped up to crown another classy performance by placing the ball wide of both the Weymouth wall and the diving Potter. 2-0 and the game was safe.

Or was it? Referee Mr Spicer stunned the home crowd and delighted Weymouth's small band of travelling supporters when he awarded a penalty after a melee in the Yeovil area. Presumably it was for handball, but it was hard to be certain from my position. David LAWS made no mistake with the spot-kick to give the visitors hope of salvaging extra-time. However, although the visitors forced 2 corners in quick succession Tony Pennock's goal remained free from danger and indeed it was Jason Eaton who came closest to scoring in the time remaining, again forcing the excellent Potter into a diving save. In all honesty, if Weymouth had somehow snatched an equaliser it would have been a travesty of justice.

Final Score : Yeovil Town 2 Weymouth 1
Web Site Verdict :

Yeovil will play much worse than this this season and win games comfortably. They were completely dominant from start to finish with the midfield and defence in particular looking in no discomfort at all with the exception of one first half raid by the visitors. Where we struggled slightly was in front of goal and were guilty of some poor finishing at times. However, it's surely impossible to be so dominant and exert that much pressure without it eventually paying off and so it proved in the end. Credit to Weymouth - they were gutsy and brave (one could almost say plucky) and defended heroically at times but in the end were very limited. The winning margin could and perhaps should have been much greater.

Thommo's Verdict :
Steve Thompson Their goalkeeper was fantastic, and he made three world class saves. The one where Rob Cousins hit it, I was right behind it, and as soon as he hit it I thought it was in, and I don't know how he got to it. Apparently Ben's shot was the same in the first half.

When it was 0-0 after 60-odd minutes, I thought it was going to go into extra time. We completely dominated the game, there's no question about it. They've had just one chance in the whole game in the first half where Tony Pennock made a good save. The only other time he had to do anything was for the penalty, which was for pushing by Terry Skiverton I'm told. That made it an uncomfortable last seven minutes.

Warren played very well, especially in the last half hour of the game, he held everything up. With the second goal, I was warming up at the time, and so I didn't see the ball travelling, and I just saw it land in the back of the net.

I was going to bring Ben off, as he started tiring in the last five minutes. If it had stayed 0-0 I was probably going to come on myself, but when we went 2-0 up I decided to put on Dave Norton instead.

It would be great to have a few more local games. I wish Weymouth and Dorchester were both in the Conference. I thought overall it was a good team performance. I thought that Jamie Pitman had a great first half, but I thought that Warren was the pick of the second half. But it was a great team performance throughout. Skiverton, Brown and Chandler all looked solid again, and like I said, Weymouth only had one chance in the whole game.

Man of the Match :

The result, as voted for by YTFC fans across the internet, is as follows :


1. Ben Smith 27%

2. Jamie Pitman 22%

3. Warren Patmore 18%

4. Terry Skiverton 8%

5. Paul Tisdale 7%

45 votes received.

Back To Fixtures Index

This Page Written By Jon Morgan & Martin Baker
Match Report By Jon Morgan
Shirt Images By Rory Gallagher
Photography © Martin Baker
© Ciderspace 1999
Last Updated : 30th November 1999

Sends Mail To Ciderspace