CIDERSPACE The Independent Yeovil Town FC Website
Season 2005-2006 : Yeovil Town v Huddersfield Town : Saturday 12th November 2005
Football League One : Yeovil Town 1 - 2 Huddersfield Town

Venue: Huish Park
Sat 12th Nov 2005, 2pm kick-off.

Conditions: hazy sun, cool
Pitch: Mainly good but soggy in patches

Scorers: Andy Booth (0-1, 11 mins), Mark Hudson (0-2, 39 mins), Lee Johnson (1-2, 47 mins).

Attendance: 6,742 (including 700 Huddersfield fans)

Referee: Steve Dorr (Worcester)
Assistants: Michael Hawkin, Steve Tomlinson
Fourth official: Andrew Rodda

Yeovil: None
Huddersfield: Mark Hudson (57, foul), Worthington (71, foul), Nathan Clarke (84, timewasting), Booth (90, timewasting). Red card: Mark Hudson (90, second bookable offence)

Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town : (4-4-2)
1. Chris Weale
12. Kevin Amankwaah 4. Terry Skiverton 27. Liam Fontaine 11. Nathan Jones
7. Paul Terry 8. Lee Johnson 29. Chris Cohen 10. Phil Jevons
20. Matt Harrold 22. Pablo Bastianini

Subs: 5. Colin Miles (46 mins for Fontaine) 9. Kevin Gall (46 mins for Harrold) 13. Steven Collis (GK) 17. Scott Guyett 25. Arron Davies (79 mins for Bastianini)

Huddersfield Town :
1. Paul Rachubka
2. Andy Holdsworth 5. David Mirfin 6. Nathan Clarke 3. Danny Adams
10. Gary Taylor-Fletcher 4. Mark Hudson 18. Jonathan Worthington 11. Danny Schofield
9. Pawel Abbott 23. Andy Booth

Subs: 22. Phillip Senior (GK) 8. Tony Carss (79 mins for Abbott) 17. John McCombe 24. Michael Collins 25. Matthew Young

Jeremy Gear's Match Report

Yeovil battle back but the climb is too steep

Huddersfield went joint top after defeating Yeovil at Huish Park 2-1 in a well fought entertaining match. The high flying Terriers took the honours in the first half, although Yeovil gifted them two soft goals, but the Glovers battled back bravely in the second half and will no doubt feel a little disappointed not to have got a point from the game after pushing forward with intent for the final 45 minutes.

The game, like the weather started brightly with both sides testing each other with long range shots, but it was Pablo Bastianini who went the closest as early as the 4th minute. Terry Skiverton played a piercing ball into the South Americans path, his shot was struck well but saved by Paul Rachubka in the Yorkshire teams goal.

It wasn’t long though before the goal came, and it was a rare mistake from Phil Jevons that led to Huddersfield taking the lead. Jevons pass was off cue and Hudson wriggled well but unchallenged into the Yeovil box and Andy BOOTH was on hand to convert the cross from close range into the Yeovil net after just 8 minutes. Yeovil were looking a little behind the pace as Huddersfield looked like a team who could go the whole way this season. They were certainly quicker to the loose ball, looked sharper up front and seemed to be winning most of the 50-50’s, although there was one great moment on 18 minutes – Kevin Amankwaah tore down the right flank but like most Yeovil attacks there was no incision with the final ball and the move broke down on the edge, as Huddersfield quickly turned defence into attack, Amankwaah raced back and a full 70 yards and caught up with and made a great tackle on the edge of his box to avert the danger, terrific energy and speed from the right back.

Midway through the first half Yeovil began to threaten, Chris Cohen making his debut following his loan move from West Ham knocked a useful ball through to Pablo, but Pablo’s right peg is not as good as his left and he could not get the ball down quick enough to get a shot in. Bastianini a few moments later actually did prove he had a right foot when a fierce drive from 20 yards following some great close control smashed against the visitors post with the keeper well beaten, seconds later it was Matt Harrolds’ turn to equalise and he will be disappointed that he didn’t, clean through with just the keeper to beat he smashed a shot from inside the box, it beat Rachukba but grazed the bar. In hindsight maybe composure rather than power would have been the preferred option.

At the other end Andy Booth almost doubled his and his teams goal tally, a short and well worked corner saw a cross knocked towards the far post and Andy Booth rose the highest but his powering header this time hit the Yeovil woodwork with Weale well beaten. Amankwaah then roared forward again and his low cross into the box was pulled back perfectly for Skipper Terry Skiverton whose first time shot was met with perfect timing but flew narrowly over the bar, Johnson then released Matt Harrold but just as he pulled the trigger Centre back Mirfin dived in and blocked his shot bravely.

Shortly afterwards the killer blow came, and again Yeovil really gifted their opponents with a soft goal. Huddersfield were awarded a throw in that looked like it should have gone to Yeovil, even so they should have dealt with the threat a lot better, indecisiveness and failure to clear the loose ball resulted in Mark HUDSON putting his side two up five minutes before the break when he tapped in from close range - leaving Steve Thompson to throw teacups at half time.

Half-time: Yeovil Town 0 - 2 Huddersfield Town

Teacups, or hand grenades were obviously exchanged during the break because the Glovers came out looking like a different side, and slightly different they were too as Matt Harrold had been replaced up front by Kevin Gall, and at the back Liam Fontaine who looked a little out of sorts today made way for Colin Miles – and it worked!

In the 47th minute Yeovil signalled their intent, and it was Gall who made the goal, he picked up the ball down the left channel and picked out Lee JOHNSON who "rose" above the Huddersfield defence to score with his head. Kevin Gall said afterwards "The gaffer just wanted me to go on and run in behind the defence and cause a bit of a threat, and I did that, I think it was Nath (Jones) who played me in , I turned and Johno had made a great run, I spotted him quite early and put the ball in the danger area trying to pick him out and he nodded home. The last time he did that was also against Huddersfield on their last visit to Somerset."

Yeovil now looked a different team, a ball into the box found Bastianini and Jevons going for the same ball but the two got in each others way, Nathan “stepover” Jones began to find space down the left and his telling crosses into the box were not finding a hooped shirt and Huddersfield were clearing with ease. Pablo then squared to Gall who was slow to react and the chance was gone. Another high ball into the box missed everyone but Skiverton picked up the looseball wide on the left, his first time cross found the head of Bastianini but his header was straight at the keeper.

By now Yeovil were having the better of the half, although they were getting the ball into the box quickly Huddersfield were mopping up most of the threat, with the ability we have on the ball you really wanted Yeovil to be a bit patient in the build up and vary the tactics slightly. We were, to be pedantic a little bit predictable, even the corners could have done with a bit of variation. You really felt, and to pinch a phrase from an old manager, that we needed to be a little more clever in and around the box to really test the opposition.

For all their possession Yeovil still looked vulnerable to the Huddersfield attack. On one occasion we saw the best and the worst of Chris Weale, following his nasty injury last week he made a terrific brave save as he rushed out at the feet of an attacker, but then moments later it was heart in your mouth time as he received a short backpass from Skiverton, he did the hard bit and collected the ball, but failed to clear and as it bounced around an attacker almost latched on and embarrassed the Yeovil no 1.

As the game reached its final 15 minutes, Bastianini, who blew hot and cold was replaced by Arron Davis. The Welshman blew hot straight away and a great run and shot from 20 or so yards made the keeper work hard to keep his effort out.

Terry Skiverton, bandaged up again, pushed up front to lend his support, although such was Huddersfield’s organisation Andy Booth tracked back to mark him. Booth, if and when his legs go will make a great central defender as he gave Skivvo no room at all.

The equaliser never came and Yeovil lost their second league game on the trot, in a highly entertaining game though, a draw would have been a fair result and was the least Yeovil deserved. With Sodje coming back, and Colin Miles looking assured at the back in the second half, the defence is ok, the only worrying bit that Steve Thompson will have tonight is his front line, full of promise but not quite clicking!

Jeremy Gear

MOTM Vote Result:

Player MOTM Score
Lee Johnson 16 522
Nathan Jones 10 410
Kevin Amankwaah 5 195
Kevin Gall 2 146
Phil Jevons 2 132
Chris Cohen 4 122
Pablo Bastianini 1 98
Paul Terry 1 54

Overall match rating: 7.5 / 10
Performance: 6.7
Entertainment: 8.2

41 votes received.

Any comments/questions please email

Full-time: Yeovil Town 1 - 2 Huddersfield Town
Match reports are welcomed by Ciderspace for publication - they can be as long or short as you like, humourous or serious as you prefer; and we welcome more than one viewpoint - the more the merrier! Send them to us as soon as possible after the game to, or simply post them to the Ciderspace Mailing-List or Fans Forum and we will pick them up from there.

Back to Top of Page

© Ciderspace 2005
Last Updated : 12th November 2005
design by siteshape