CIDERSPACE The Independent Yeovil Town FC Website
Season 2006-2007 : Yeovil Town vs Nottingham Forest : Saturday 9th September 2006
Coca Cola League One : Yeovil Town vs Nottingham Forest

Vote for your YTFC Man of the Match by clicking here

Venue: Huish Park
Saturday 9th September 2006, 3.00pm kick-off.

Scorers: Grant Holt (88 mins, 0-1)

Attendance: 6,925 (including 1,500 Nottingham Forest fans)

Referee: Mike Russell (Hertfordshire)
Assistants: Andrew Rodda (Devon), Stephen Tomlinson (Hampshire)
Fourth official: Richard Palmer (Somerset)

Yeovil: None.
Nottingham Forest: John Curtis (30 mins, foul), Julien Bennett (84 mins, foul)

Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town : (4-2-3-1)
1. Steve Mildenhall
24. Mark Lynch, 4. Terry Skiverton, 6. Terrell Forbes, 3. Nathan Jones
7. Paul Terry 14. Jean-Paul Kamudimba
10. Wayne Gray 11. Chris Cohen 25. Lee Morris
29. Marcus Stewart

Subs: 5. Scott Guyett 8. Anthony Barry 9. Arron Davies (90 mins for Daniel Webb) 18. Daniel Webb (83 mins for Wayne Gray) 27. Ishmael Welsh (74 mins for Lee Morris)

Nottingham Forest :
1. Paul Smith 6. Ian Breckin 21. John Curtis 22. Danny Cullip 7. Nicky Southall 4. Gary Holt 17. James Perch 29. Julian Bennett 14. Jack Lester 15. Neil Harris 11. Grant Holt

Subs: 20. Rune Pedersen (GK) 5. Wes Morgan (23 mins for Danny Cullip) 16. Sammy Clingan (30 mins for John Curtis) 18. John Thompson 23. Junior Agogo (64 mins for Jack Lester)

Match Report

No changes for manager Russell Slade as he kept his faith in the side that had drawn 1-1 at Swansea eight days ago, helped by Terrell Forbes coming through a late fitness test following an ankle injury sustained during that Swansea match. Arron Davies was recalled into the sixteen following his Welsh Under 21s international call-up. Forest arrived having dropped only two points all season, and for the second home match running the Glovers would be coming up against League One's league leaders. Could they topple the top dogs for the second time this season?

The game started well for Yeovil with a half chance for Wayne Gray which he couldn't quite get onto the end of which was followed up by a clearcut chance at the other end with Grant Holt heading goalbound, but Glovers keeper Steve Mildenhall managed to push the ball around the post for a corner. Terry Skiverton headed the ball away from the resultant set play.

Yeovil settled down though and began to spread the ball around nicely and almost got into a great position when the pace and trickery of Wayne Gray upset the Forest defence, with the striker whipping in a superb ball that Nicky Southall was forced to head out for a corner. A minute later Chris Cohen skipped over a wild Forest challenge to cut in from the wing but the ball fizzed across the face of the box. Overall Forest were looking weak on their left flank and the Glovers were exposing it well.

Forest had their best chance of the game so far when Grant Holt won a free kick 30 yards out, 20 minutes into the game. The deadball was touched sideways and the Yeovil defence were slow to respond to the danger, allowing Nicky Southall a free strike on goal with the ball going inches wide of the target. Slightly reminiscient of one of Southampton's goals at St Mary's Stadium and manager Russell Slade was not too impressed by the similarity, if his barks from the touchline were anything to go by.

But overall the Glovers were in a confident mood, and Chris Cohen started off a fantastic multiman move that saw him feed Marcus Stewart. The on-loan striker got the Forest defence severely on the backfoot with the League leaders not quite knowing how to deal with him. Just when it looked as though Stewart might go all the way, he slipped the ball through to Lee Morris in a manner that belied how many hours both players have spent together, and it took a good save by keeper Paul Smith to deny Morris an opening goal.

An awful tackle on Chris Cohen by Forest defender John Curtis saw the latter booked, and immediately substituted, although the reason for Forest's second change of the first half had probably more due to the defender's pre-match hamstring injury than the tackle itself. Forest had spent most of the first half suffering with shape problems with their back line, and used the change to move James Perch into the back four. Northern Ireland hero Sammy Clingan moved into midfield having come off the bench. Marcus Stewart headed over, whilst Wayne Gray headed wide as the Glovers continued to build up chances, but without too many of them directly troubling keeper Paul Smith.

At the other end though, Nathan Jones had to clear the ball off the line on the back post as Forest captain Ian Brechin showed how dangerous he is from set pieces, with the defender heading goalbound from a corner. Brechin had weighed in with his fair share of goals last season and even scored at the City ground against Yeovil in last season's fixture, so the Yeovil defence could have no excuse for not knowing of the defender's talents. As Forest finally began to find their feet following the second substitution, with both new players having a strong effect upon Forest's game, Steve Mildenhall was forced into his second big save of the game as he palmed the ball away from a Jack Lester shot from close range to force yet another Forest corner. Overall though, this was Yeovil's half and they would have been disappointed to have gone into the break with the scores still tied, even if Forest's late resurgence following their substitutions suggested they may have a few tricks up their sleeves.

Half-time: Yeovil Town 0 - 0 Nottingham Forest

The second half opened up with neither manager making any significant changes - not surprisingly given that Forest had only one substitution they could make. After five minutes of cat'n'mouse, the Glovers opened up kicking towards the Westland Stand end, and had their best chance of the match when Marcus Stewart brilliantly found Wayne Gray, who skipped past Ian Brechin as if he wasn't there, but with the goal gaping, he shot straight at keeper Paul Smith who gratefully saved the shot, which ironically was probably hit too cleanly for the Yeovil striker's own good.

Some frantic tackling by both sides with the boot being firmly put in all over the place. Mark Lynch bundled over Grant Holt, whilst Holt himself was lucky to escape without a booking after a blatant dive when he battled with Terry Skiverton, whilst the Yeovil captain was the last man. But referee Mr Russell decided not to bring out his book. It was just as heated off the pitch as Glovers keeper Steve Mildenhall was struck by an object thrown from the away end - calmly handed over to the match referee for his own keeping. Russell Slade got into his own shouting match with the Main Stand linesman after a series of decisions given against the Glovers that looked as though it might boil over when Slade refused to back down. Amidst the tackling and the passion, James Perch could have netted when he followed up a parried save from a Forest player, but he shot into the side netting, with the Yeovil defence somewhat guilty of standing still on the rebound.

Former Bristol Rovers striker Junior Agogo came on just past the hour mark to a chorus of boos as Forest played their final card, replacing Jack Lester as Forest went for all three points. Overall, Forest had experienced a far better open period than they had during the first half, in what was a game on a knife-edge, with both sides threatening but with both back fours holding very firm indeed.

Midway through the second half, Glovers keeper Steve Mildenhall made an utterly outstanding save from Neil Harris, pushing out a single arm to stop a header sneaking in by the bottom right post. From that save, Yeovil immediately broke up field, almost catching Forest on the break, with Lynch and Morris combining well up the flank. That was to be the last seen of Lee Morris though, as he made way for Ishmael Welsh, with the tactic of catching Forest with counter-attacking Yeovil's main method of trying to undo their opponents.

Daniel Webb was introduced in the dying minutes as the Glovers tried to introduce a bit of chaos into the Forest back line, replacing Wayne Gray. As the clock ticked down, Ishmael Welsh managed a series of stepovers down the left wing before delivering an excellent cross into the box, with Chris Cohen's header going narrowly wide for a goal kick - so near yet so far as Cohen looked to the heavens, knowing how close he'd come to winning the game.

But Forest are a side with a top-class strike force, and despite the Glovers having competed so well, they were made to pay from a late corner with just three minutes remaining. Nicky Southall sent the ball over to the backpost and what you don't do is leave Grant HOLT unmarked at close range. The Glovers did just that and the end result was Forest taking the points right at the end to kill of what had been a gutsy Yeovil performance.

Daniel Webb's brief appearance at the tail end of the game was made even more brief as he caught a stray Forest arm in his face in the final minute, and with blood coming from his face, he was replaced by Arron Davies. That saw more time added to the three that were put up on the board by the fourth official, but Forest ran the ball into the corners and played out time without too much danger to the single goal scoreline.

As the final whistle blew, the Glovers could find themselves a little hard done by, having competed well against the League leaders for pretty much the whole of the match. Had they converted one of several chances that came their way, it could have easily been them sending Forest home unhappy. But whilst Russell Slade has to wheel'n'deal with free transfers and loans, Forest can command players like Grant Holt - a man who Gary Johnson once tried to sign from Rochdale - and sometimes that ability to get that extra inch out of such players can be the difference between a 1-0 win and a 1-0 defeat. Nice if you can afford it mind!

MOTM Vote Result:

Pos Player
1 Steve Mildenhall
2 Chris Cohen
3 Marcus Stewart

Overall match rating: 8.3 / 10
Performance: 8.3
Entertainment: 8.3

47 votes received.

Any comments/questions please email

Full-time: Yeovil Town 0 - 0 Nottingham Forest
Match reports are welcomed by Ciderspace for publication - they can be as long or short as you like, humourous or serious as you prefer; and we welcome more than one viewpoint - the more the merrier! Send them to us as soon as possible after the game to, or simply post them to the Ciderspace Mailing-List and we will pick them up from there.

Back to Top of Page

© Ciderspace 2006
Last Updated : 9th September 2006
design by siteshape