CIDERSPACE The Independent Yeovil Town FC Website
Season 2006-2007 : Bodmin Town vs Yeovil Town : Wednesday 12th July 2006
Pre-Season Friendly : Bodmin Town vs Yeovil Town

Vote for your YTFC Man of the Match by clicking here

Venue: Priory Park
Wed 12th July 2006, 7.30pm kick-off.

Scorers: Matt Harrold (11 mins, 0-1), Matt Harrold (21 mins, 0-2), Wayne Gray (31 mins, 0-3), Daniel Webb (87 mins, 0-4), Daniel Webb (90 mins, 0-5)


Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town : (4-4-2)
Steve Mildenhall
Kevin Amankwaah, Terrell Forbes, Terry Skiverton, Nathan Jones
David Poole, Paul Terry, Chris Cohen, Arron Davies
Wayne Gray, Matt Harrold

Subs: Andy Lindegaard (59 mins for Amankwaah),
Bradley Thomas (60 mins for Forbes),
Scott Guyett (60 mins for Skiverton),
Gavin McCallum (60 mins for Jones),
Lee Morris (60 mins for Gray),
JP Kalala (60 mins for Cohen),
Anthony Barry (60 mins for Terry),
Ishmael Welsh (60 mins for Davies),
Michele Di Piedi (60 mins for Harrold),
Maz (60 mins for Poole),
Daniel Webb (66 mins for Lee Morris)

Match Report

Yeovil Town's mini-tour of Cornwall - two matches spread over three days preceded by a day of training in Lanhydrock - commenced on a Wednesday night against the South Western League Champions of Bodmin Town - a potentially deceptive opposition given how difficult clubs in the Cornwall area find it to rise up through the football pyramid as a result of the high travelling costs. Assistant manager Steve Thompson would know all about that, having once played for another Cornish side Saltash at the height of their success.

The line-up against Bodmin had all the air of a manager who was setting his stall out to declare a candidate starting XI for August 5th at Millwall and that it was up to others outside that eleven to try and dislodge the Chosen Ones. That may or may not have been Slade's thinking but certainly there was no reason why the side that took the field at Bodmin couldn't be one that could travel to East London.

The Glovers got off to a strong start and forced a succession of corners. From the third such set piece, Chris Cohen sent across a low one, and when Bodmin's defence failed to clear, Matt HARROLD was on hand to force the ball home from close range.

David Poole and Chris Cohen both had early chances, and Wayne Gray should have made it 2-0 when Matt Harrold put the ball across the face of the area for him but he shot wide of the target. Matt HARROLD had also put an ball over the crossbar that he probably should have put on target, but that mattered little to him when 10 minutes after his first goal, he converted a Kevin Amankwaah cross to double Yeovil's lead.

It didn't take long before Wayne GRAY also made up for his earlier miss and once again Matt Harrold was involved. Bodmin got caught on an increasingly rare foray into the Yeovil half, and when Harrold broke out of defence, Gray joined him and the result was a simple but effective breakaway goal and a 3-0 scoreline with just 31 minutes gone.

Bodmin really couldn't trouble the Yeovil back line. Probably the closest they came was early on in the half when Terry Skiverton tried to swap shirts with a Bodmin attacker, conceding a free kick on the edge of the box. But the attempt went well wide of goal. On the whole though, this was a one-sided match and half time came feeling that Russell Slade might be tempted to even things up by introducing a few new faces.

Half-time: Bodmin Town 0 - 3 Yeovil Town

As it happened, the second half began in a slightly more disjoined manner, and things got all the more disjointed when on the hour mark, the substitutions began. Andy Lindegaard's replacement of Kevin Amankwaah was done singularly but was quickly followed by the other nine outfield players being replaced.

The team stayed with a 4-4-2 formation with the only radical look to it being Gavin McCallum's position at left-back. A trialist going simply under the name of 'Maz' joined proceedings at right-wing whilst all other players coming on were accommodated in their natural positions. One of those players was Lee Morris, who had not been expected to enter the field of play due to a backstrain. Hindsight being a wonderful thing Morris probably shouldn't have entered the field of play - he lasted around six minutes and withdrew, replaced by Daniel Webb.

The disruption meant that it took a little longer for the Glovers to get going again, although they did finish the match eventually in a spot of style, albeit initially with a false start. Michele Di Piedi failed to make first impressions count when he intercepted a Bodmin backpass, but his shot when round the keeper was badly scuffed and easily cleared off the line.

Daniel WEBB had different ideas on how to round the goalkeeper. Chris Cohen put him through with three minutes remaining and he took the ball round Bodmin's No.1 and calmly slotted the ball into the net. Then as the game reached it's final minute, Daniel WEBB notched his 4th goal in pre-season by accepting a pass from right-winger Maz and giving a final 5-0 scoreline for the visitors.

Full-time: Bodmin Town 0 - 5 Yeovil Town
Match reports are welcomed by Ciderspace for publication - they can be as long or short as you like, humourous or serious as you prefer; and we welcome more than one viewpoint - the more the merrier! Send them to us as soon as possible after the game to, or simply post them to the Ciderspace Mailing-List and we will pick them up from there.

Back to Top of Page

© Ciderspace 2006
Last Updated : 12th July 2006
design by siteshape