CIDERSPACE The Independent Yeovil Town FC Website
Season 2005-2006 : Staines Town v Yeovil Town : Wednesday 20th July 2005
Pre-Season Friendly : Staines Town 1 - 3 Yeovil Town

Venue: Leyland Park
Wed 20th July 2005, 7.45pm kick-off.

Conditions: Excellent warm summer's evening.
Pitch: Stunning - would come close to rivalling Huish Park

Scorers: Paul Terry (10, 0-1), 'Paul Bastin' (16, 0-2), Tariq Nabil (46, pen, 1-2), Matt Harrold (68, 1-3)

Attendance: 308 (including around 80 Glovers fans)

Referee: Andy McDermott (Aldershot)
Assistants: Gary Young (Dunstable), Liam Walshe (Pinner, Middlesex). Fourth Official: Lee Collins (Ash, Hants)

Yeovil: None
Staines: Matt Flitter (61 mins, dissent)

Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town :
1. Chris Weale 5. Colin Miles 6. Darren Way 7. Paul Terry 8. Lee Johnson 10. Phil Jevons 11. 'Paul Bastin' 14. Andy Lindegaard 16. Efe Sodje 17. Scott Guyett 18. David Poole

Second half team
1. Chris Weale 2. Adam Lockwood 3. Michael Rose 4. Terry Skiverton 9. Kevin Gall 11. 'Paul Bastin' 15. Steve Reed 20. Matt Harrold 21. Luke Oliver 26. Nuno Santoz 25. Arron Davies

Further subs: 12. Kevin Amankwaah (49, for Nuno Santos), 27. Lubo Blaha (65, for 'Bastin')

Subs not used: 13. Stephen Collis 19. Dale Williams, 28. Steve Thompson

Staines Town :
1. James Courtnage, 2. Mark McGiven 3. Michael Murphy 4. Danny Gordon 5. Matt Flitter (Captain), 6. Jamie Palmer 7. Andre De Lisser 8. Ryan Spencer 9. Tariq Nabil 10. Michael Curry 11. Clement James

Subs: 12. Jake Newton (60, for Palmer) 14. Guy Millington, 15. Billy Sentence, 16. Junior Thomas, 17. Craig Maskell (75, for Nabil)

Match Report

This was only Yeovil's second ever visit to Wheatsheaf Park and certainly their first in it's newly rebuilt form as the Glovers took on a side that will compete in the Ryman Premier League this coming season. They included in their line-up two new trialists. The first going under the name of Paul Bastin had only just arrived in the camp whilst Nuno Santos had been training with the club for some time but had not played due to injury. Paul Weerman had already been shown the door after the morning training session and did not travel, whilst Lubomir Blaha prepared to make his third appearance from the substitute's bench.

Right from the off, it was pretty obvious which was the League One side and which was the Ryman Premier side. The pitch at Wheatsheaf Park has to be one of the best outside the Football League and the lush green grass was ideal for the Glovers to play their passing game. New boy Paul Bastin ensured that Yeovil got off to a flying start as early as the 10th minute when he weaved past two or three Staines defenders, forcing James Courtnage into a flying save, but with the loose ball popping out to Paul TERRY the rebound gave Yeovil the lead from eight yards out.

Five minutes later Yeovil almost doubled their lead when Bastin provided Phil Jevons with a header that he put back across the face of goal. Only a goal-line header by Mark McGiven spared Staines. A minute later though Yeovil doubled their lead after Darren Way won the ball on the left wing. Despite being grounded by a defender, Way got to his feet and slipped the ball through to Paul BASTIN who fired from a narrow angle to make the scoreline 2-0 with just 16 minutes gone.

Staines got their first chance midway through the first half when Michael Curry hooked the ball wide of the target whilst Chris Weale had been drawn to one side of his goal by some earlier action. However down at the other end Courtnage again had to rescue Staines when an Andy Lindegaard piledriver was tipped over the crossbar for a corner. Ten minutes later and Paul Terry shot just over the bar after a corner was only half cleared.

The chances for the home side were few and far between although with half an hour gone, Andre De Lisser got in behind the Yeovil back line when the right winger went on a run, but Chris Weale was equal to his somewhat weak shot, diving to his left to make a comfortable save.

The Staines back line were caught completely static by a long ball over the top that was picked up by Phil Jevons who for one minute almost stopped embarrassed that none of the home defenders were chasing him. However, he didn't allow for the excellent performance of goalkeeper Courtnage who plucked the ball off the feet of Jevons as he attempted to round the Staines No.1.

Right on half time Darren Way had rather loud appeals for a penalty at half time when Staines full-back Mark McGiven appeared to clip him in the box as he ran through but referee Andy McDermott waved Yeovil's protests away. It was a highly impressive half from the Glovers but you really were left feeling that if it were not for Courtnage that a cricket score could have been looming by now, with the Staines back line unable to deal with the likes of David Poole, Phil Jevons and Paul Bastin by fair or foul means.

Half-time: Staines Town 0 - 2 Yeovil Town

Half time saw nine substitutions made with only Weale and Bastin surviving the cull, and trialist Nuno Santos taking to the field. If the Glovers were frustrated at the lack of a penalty award at the end of the first have they won't have been happy with referee Andy McDermott's decision to award Staines a penalty less than a minute after the restart. Tariq NABIL's swan-like dive over Terry Skiverton's leg got him what he wanted, and his penalty, executed using a dubious stop-start-stop run-up got him a goal for Staines.

McDermott - who had awarded Staines two penalties on his previous visit to Wheatsheaf Park denied Yeovil a second penalty appeal when defender Danny Gordon appeared to palm down the ball after a Stephen Reed shot had been half cleared, following a Kevin Gall cross. You'd think that with such matters going their way Staines captain Matt Flitter would have been happy with the match official, but persistent mouthing off made him a rare booking in a pre-season friendly.

This was Yeovil's poorest and most disjointed part of the game, probably not helped by Nuno Santos lasting only four minutes of his Yeovil debut - limping off after deciding his heavily bandaged knee was not ready for the rigours of football. That meant a complete shuffle around, with Adam Lockwood finding himself suddenly classed as a central midfielder! Lubomir Blaha got his chance when Bastin showed signs of running out of steam, and the new line-up gradually started to take shape again.

Yeovil were denied yet another penalty claim when Staines captain Matt Flitter rugby tackled Adam Lockwood to the ground as the makeshift midfielder tried to shield the ball. McDermott's unwillingness to award Yeovil such an obvious decision led to words being exchanged between an angry Lockwood and Flitter and the referee had to step in and do his job for a change.

It didn't take long though before Yeovil grabbed their third goal of the evening. Arron Davies pumped in a corner, Terry Skiverton met it on the back post, and Matt HARROLD directed the ball back across goal again and into the back of the net evading a completely wrong-footed Courtnage.

Harrold almost got a second when a knockdown by Adam Lockwood saw the former Brentford man flash the ball across the face of goal. A strong run by Kevin Gall down the right wing saw Lubomir Blaha released down that flank and when he crossed the ball in, it was wonderfully timed for the incoing Gall, but the Welshman's shot on the volley went just over the bar.

And so Yeovil finished the game well on top, and about the only criticism worthy of the match was that they failed to convert more of the many chances they created during the game. That said, there were some impressive performances there, particularly from Paul Bastin, who is certainly worth another look. Next up though will be a packed Huish Park for the return of Gavin Williams and his new West Ham United team and there is little doubt that such a match will test Yeovil's abilities more than the Staines Town side managed to.


Full-time: Staines Town 1 - 3 Yeovil Town
Match reports are welcomed by Ciderspace for publication - they can be as long or short as you like, humourous or serious as you prefer; and we welcome more than one viewpoint - the more the merrier! Send them to us as soon as possible after the game to, or simply post them to the Ciderspace Mailing-List or Fans Forum and we will pick them up from there.

Back to Top of Page

© Ciderspace 2005
Last Updated : 20th July 2005
design by siteshape