CIDERSPACE The Independent Yeovil Town FC Website
Season 2005-2006 : Yeovil Town v Southampton : Tuesday 26th July 2005
Pre-Season Friendly : Yeovil Town 1 - 3 Southampton

Venue: Huish Park
Tues 26th July 2005, 7.30pm kick-off.

Conditions: Mild, overcast, damp, some drizzle.
Pitch: Excellent, but greasy on top

Scorers: Marian Pahars (23, 0-1), Matt Oakley (38, 0-2), Matt Oakley (42, 0-3), Darren Way (80, 1-3)

Attendance: 5,761 (including approx 500 Saints fans)

Referee: Ian Williamson
Assistants: Bernard Baker, Adrian Matthews. 4th Official: Andrew Sainsbury.

Yeovil: Colin Pluck (53 mins, dissent)
Southampton: Danny Prutton (54 mins, foul)

Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town : (4-4-2)
13. Steve Collis
12. Kevin Amankwaah, 4. Terry Skiverton, 16. Efe Sodje, 5. Colin Miles,
9. Kevin Gall, 8. Lee Johnson, 7. Paul Terry, 6. Darren Way,
10. Phil Jevons, 18. Pablo Bastianini

Subs: 1 Chris Weale, 2 Adam Lockwood (79, for Skiverton), 3 Michael Rose (63, for Miles), 11 Arron Davies (63, for Terry), 14 Andy Lindegaard, 15 Steve Reed, 17 Scott Guyett, 18 David Poole (63, for Gall), 20 Matt Harold (79, for Jevons), Luke Oliver (no number) (79, for Bastianini), Luciano Alvares (no number)

Southampton :
1 Antti Niemi
6 Tomas Hajto, 5 Claus Lundekvam, 10 Darren Kenton, 3 Danny Higginbotham
2 Rory Delap, 4 Dennis Wise, 8 Matt Oakley, 7 David Prutton
11 Kenwyne Jones, 9 Marian Pahars

Subs: 12 Brett Omerod (34, for Pahars), 13 Kyle Critchell, 14 Johan Folly (46, for Wise), 15 Andrew Surman 40, for Lundekvam, and wearing a number 16 shirt), 16 Nathan Dyer (76, for Oakley), 17 Theo Walcott (46, for Jones), 18 Valery Mezague, Paul Smith (goal keeper, no number) (46, for Niemi)

Match Report

The initial stir before kick off centred on the appearance of Sir Clive Woodward in the stands, a man who attracted interest as he has very recently changed the shape of his balls.

The first effort at goal, just a couple of minutes in, was for the home side, with Pablo Bastianini shooting wide from long distance after a Southampton mistake. Another good Yeovil move after five minutes saw good crosses from Colin Miles on the left and Kevin Gall on the right, but just a minute later it was Southampton who very nearly took the lead. David Prutton looked odds on to score from point blank range, but an instinctive block from Steve Collis thwarted him.

The visitors began to show their class, and earned a corner from the right following an Efe Sodje tackle, and then one from the other side after a Kevin Amankwaah header. The first quarter of an hour remained goalless, but neither side was really able to get into their stride on a slippery pitch, and the referee did not help by blowing his whistle for every minor touch allowing no flow to the game

The Southampton bench briefly resembled the corner of a boxing ring with Kenwyne Jones receiving treatment for what looked like a cut above his eye. On twenty minutes good work between Phil Jevons and Kevin Gall saw the latter produce a good cross, which was headed out for a corner. Lee Johnsonís corner kick was met powerfully by Terry Skiverton, but his header went just wide. Jevons then received a good long pass from Johnson, and cut inside to shoot low and hard but just the wrong side of the post.

A superb long pass cut through the Yeovil defence and Jones looked clear for Southampton, but an excellent tackle by Sodje in the penalty area saved the Glovers. In the next Saints attack Amankwaah blocked a goal bound shot, but the rebound fell to Marian PAHARS who was able to fire through a crowd of players and into the net. 0 - 1.

Yeovil almost replied straight away with a Johnson cross reaching Jevons, who volleyed across goal from the left of the area after a good break. A Johnson chip nearly put Gall away, but an unfortunate first touch lost control and ultimately possession.

A good attack by Southampton saw a cross from Matt Oakley put well wide by Danny Higginbotham. Scorer Marian Pahars, who had earlier received treatment from the Southampton physio, was replaced by Brett Omerod. Five minutes later it was a cross from the substitute which was initially miskicked by a Saints forward (to hoots of derision from Yeovil fans) before the ball fell to Matt OAKLEY who calmly slotted the ball into the left hand corner. 0 - 2.

A minute later Yeovil nearly gifted the visitors a third when a suicidal back pass from Johnson played in Omerod, who would otherwise have been yards offside, with only Collis to beat. As he tried to round the Yeovil keeper, Collis bravely dived to claim the ball from his feet.

A second substitution saw Claus Lundekvam replaced by Andrew Surman, who wore number 16 (although listed as 15), which may explain the later confusion when two number 16ís finished the game for Southampton.

Yeovil tried to reduce the deficit, with a classy Amankwaah run and cross, and then a Johnson free kick which earned a corner. However, it was Southampton who broke away after defending the corner and Prutton found only Paul Terry defending, before slipping the ball across for Matt OAKLEY to repeat his earlier effort into the same corner. 0 - 3.

Half-time: Yeovil Town 0 - 3 Southampton

Having taught the Glovers a bit of a lesson in the first forty five minutes Southampton made three further changes at half time, with Walcott, Folly and Smith coming on for Jones, Wise and Niemi respectively.

Omerod started brightly, forcing a great tackle from Skiverton when racing toward goal, but he then blasted over after being set up by Theo Walcott. Mr Williamson insisted on remaining the centre of attention by firstly booking Colin Miles for dissent, and then showing a yellow card to David Prutton for a challenge on Amankwaah which would have impressed Sir Clive in his previous job.

A Phil Jevons shot/cross drifted across goal after a good Yeovil move, and a fine run by Walcott was ended by a good challenge from Terry. Just before the hour mark Jevons was back defending to head away a Southampton free kick, and a couple of minutes later a good flowing Yeovil attack ended with a push on him just outside the area. Lee Johnson took the free kick from about 25 yards out, and his excellent effort thundered back off of the right hand post.

The Glovers made three changes with David Poole and Michael Rose taking over from Gall and Miles respectively, while Arron Davies took over the left wing allowing Darren Way to move into central midfield instead of Paul Terry who was withdrawn.

David Poole made an immediate impact with a good run at the Southampton defence, earning a corner. Although Yeovil had been under the cosh for much of the contest they enjoyed a brief spell of sustained pressure in the Saints half, earning a couple of corners and free kicks. When Southampton did break it was the turn of Rose to tackle Omerod, and Yeovil returned to attack with another good run and shot from Poole, and then Paul Smith was forced to run out from goal to kick the ball away just before the advancing Jevons reached it. The visitors defended well, and still continued to look very dangerous on the break.

Inside the last quarter of an hour Southampton withdrew double goalscorer Oakley and brought on their second number 16 - presumably Nathan Dyer - and this no doubt confused Dave Linney as no announcement was made. A few minutes later Skiverton, Jevons and Bastianini left the field to be replaced by Adam Lockwood, Matt Harold and Luke Oliver.

Following the substitutions the game had pretty much petered out and was fairly subdued. Inside the last ten minutes it looked as if the Glovers would not better Lee Johnson striking the woodwork, but an incisive long ball from him was perfectly timed for the run of Darren WAY, and the man who probably made Dennis Wise feel tall rose to head over Smith and into the net. 1 - 3, and a large dose of Somerset pride restored.

In the final minutes announcer Dave Linneyís blushes were spared when Collis saved a shot from one of the Southampton number 16ís, who could have been Surman, or possibly Dyer, or maybe even someone else.

Robin Evans

Full-time: Yeovil Town 1 - 3 Southampton
Match reports are welcomed by Ciderspace for publication - they can be as long or short as you like, humourous or serious as you prefer; and we welcome more than one viewpoint - the more the merrier! Send them to us as soon as possible after the game to, or simply post them to the Ciderspace Mailing-List or Fans Forum and we will pick them up from there.

Back to Top of Page

© Ciderspace 2005
Last Updated : 26th July 2005
design by siteshape