CIDERSPACE The Independent Yeovil Town FC Website
Season 2005-2006 : Yeovil Town v Doncaster Rovers : Saturday 8th April 2006
Football League One : Yeovil Town 3 - 0 Doncaster Rovers

Venue: Huish Park
Sat 8th April 2006, 3pm kick-off.

Conditions: Sunny, breezy
Pitch: Good

Scorers: Terry Skiverton (8, 1-0), Phil Jevons (57, 2-0), Arron Davies (86, 3-0)

Attendance: 5,456 (including 378 Donny fans)

Referee: Tony Bates
Assistants: Mike Hawken (Cornwall), Simon Hollick (Devon)
Fourth official: Andrew Turner (Devon)

Yeovil: None
Doncaster: Graeme Lee (37, foul)

Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town : (3-4-1-2)
1. Chris Weale
2. Adam Lockwood 4. Terry Skiverton 17. Scott Guyett
14. Andy Lindegaard 7. Paul Terry 29. Chris Cohen 11. Nathan Jones
10. Phil Jevons
25. Arron Davies 20. Matt Harrold

Subs: 5. Colin Miles (88, for Lindegaard) 9. Kevin Gall (73, for Harrold) 18. David Poole 22. Craig Rocastle (81, for Terry) 31. Michael Jordan (GK)

Doncaster Rovers :
36. Alan Blayney 2. Simon Marples 4. Stephen Roberts 24. Graeme Lee 18. Sean McDaid 26. James Coppinger 8. Sean Thornton 3. Kevin Horlock 25. Michael Timlin 7. Lewis Guy 9. Neil Roberts

Subs: 10. Alun Armstrong (79, for Guy) 12. Jan Budtz (GK) 16. David Wheater 20. Paul Green (52, for Timlin) 27. Ross McCormack (13, for Roberts)

Jeremy Gear's Match Report

Captain Marvel inspires a home win

Three years ago this very weekend Yeovil Town played Doncaster and secured one of their most important victories of all time as they clinched promotion to the Football League with an emphatic win. This time around, and at an equally sunny Huish Park, the team, led by the outstanding Terry Skiverton, convincingly beat their Yorkshire counterparts again, this time by 3 goals to nil. Who knows, that three goal margin could be worth an extra point at the end of the season, and be just as important considering the "squeaky bum" tightness of League One!

Yeovil made a couple of changes to the starting line up that faced Bristol City last week. Steve Collis was forced to withdraw due to illness and Chris Weale was recalled to the starting line up following his recent injury. Kevin Amankwaah was also missing from the squad, presumably due to his ankle knock, but fortunately Skiverton was passed fit, recovering from his latest knee injury sustained against Tranmere, and the Londoner looked in no trouble whatsoever as he turned in one of the most impressive performances of his Huish Park career. From start to finish the central defender, playing in the heart of the back three, was immense, positively massive. In fact it was he, after a shaky opening period where Yeovil looked dishevelled, who settled the home crowd and the players with a thunderous strike on 8 minutes that calmed the nerves and paved the way for a display that had the home crowd singing like they havenít sung for quite some time at home - what a difference a goal makes!

After a short corner, where Yeovil contrived to lose possession, the ball quickly found its way back into the box where Skiverton was lurking. Bringing the ball down on his chest, he teed himself up a treat and took a huge huge swipe, the sort of swipe that a heavyweight boxer would relish, and the sort of jump that the winner of the grand national put in at the last fence, such was its beauty, and such was its determination, and with it Yeovilís luck changed as the rocket shot cannoned off the inside of the post, and flew across the goal line before finding the inside netting on the opposite side of the goal. Cue the celebrations and feel the relief - Huish Park had awoken!

The home side began to play with a bit more fluency than previous games, and a fine move down the centre of the pitch involving Davies, Harrold and Jones almost resulted in Chris Cohen, overshadowed for once by his skipper, opening his goalscoring account for the club. Although itís difficult to criticize the youngster, on this occasion heíll probably hold his hands up and say he should have done better with only the keeper to beat, shooting tamely, albeit on target, with the inside of his foot.

A few moments later it was Jevons, back in the starting line up at the expense of Rocastle, who shot narrowly over following a good inswinging cross from the dependable Scott Guyett. As the ball was cleared by a Doncaster head it fell to Jevons just outside the box and his first time shot was well struck. On 25 minutes Yeovil should have gone 2 ahead when that man Skiverton found himself in space in the box, from a corner taken by Cohen. The skipper got to it first, but probably surprised at the space he mistimed his touch and the ball ballooned over the crossbar, appearing to come off Skivoís knee.

Although Yeovil were in command, as recent performances have shown, it was vital to keep their noses in front. Luckily they did that just, as Sean Thorntonís terrific shot bounced off the bar after he received a cheeky but clever flick from Timlin; who later had a penalty appeal turned down following a pretty blatant dive, although in his defence, he did leave the pitch later after not recovering from an injury sustained in that clash.

Arron Davies was then sent sprawling on the edge of the opposite box. This time it was a foul and the Rovers captain Graeme Lee was booked for his misdemeanour. Unfortunately the Glovers couldnít capitalize, only putting themselves in danger. As the ball was cleared, Ross McCormack, on as an early sub, was given the freedom of the Yeovil half, and as he bore down on goal Chris Cohen once again produced an outstanding tackle as he burst back to defend. What a fantastic asset this boy would be next season! Let's hope we can keep hold of Phil Jevons too. As the first half drew to a close it was he who looked like extending the home side's lead again, but this time his self made chance from the edge of the box nestled amongst the 378 Donny fans - and the home supporters, buoyed by the performance, knew that one goal would not be enough to enjoy the second half, comfortably at least!

Half-time: Yeovil Town 1 - 0 Doncaster Rovers

The second half started as the first ended with Jevons firing in a low shot from 30 yards or so, but the visiting keeper Alan Blayney saved low down to his near post. Cohen then went on another powerful surge forward. Evading several tackles, he slipped the ball out wide to the right where Lindegaard was waiting and his clever ball into the box only needed the deftest of touches from Matt Harrold, but he couldnít connect.

Nathan Jones then came close to doubling the lead. Arron Davies, who was becoming more influential as the game wore on, jinked his way towards the box. Losing possession the ball found its way into the path of Jones whose rasping left foot shot had Blayney diving low to his right to save a certain goal. However, the goal that was required, and that was coming, didnít take long to materialise, and it was Jones who can claim the assist. A quick throw down the left found its way to the wing back, and as he burst into the box he squared the ball with pace low to the far post. Harrold got the knockdown and Jevons got the goal heíd been threatening, shooting low and with accuracy from 12 yards or so to put the game firmly into Yeovilís hands.

As the game now began to look safe, the home side had a scare when Lockwood brought down Lewis Guy in the box for what looked like a cast iron penalty. Thankfully, the referee Tony Bates, who had an excellent game it should be said, waved away the appeal, and the two goal margin was still in place. It was however nearly extended when Davies again drove his way goalwards, his ball to Jevons was a good one, but Jevo took too long to pick his spot and was dispossessed.

On 76 minutes Steve Thompson opted to change, replacing the ineffective Matt Harrold with the pace of Kevin Gall, and it was Gall who set up Davies for another attempt at goal, but his long range powerful shot flew over the bar. 5 minutes later Thommo made his second change, replacing Paul Terry, who had another steady game, with Craig Rocastle. Doncaster were still not dead and buried, and it was Phil Jevons of all people who came back into his own box to superbly tackle the dangerous Sean Thornton as he was about to pull the trigger.

It wasnít until the 86th minute that all Yeovil fans could finally relax, Kevin Gall was released down the left and as he sprinted towards the danger area he let fly with a curling right foot shot that was goalbound but cruelly handled by centre-half Lee. Such was the refereeís terrific use of the advantage rule he allowed play to continue as Davies, gambling in the box, picked up the deflection and rifled home to put his team deservedly three up and get a goal his own performance warranted. The ref too should take credit, who knows whether he would have called play back if Davies had missed, but he would have had to send Lee off for a second caution. Good common sense. They donít come down here very often, but when they do, they are welcome back - remember the name - Tony Bates!

So Yeovil eventually secured the first home win for what seemed like an age, not only playing with confidence but also playing with a bit more freedom, although that comes naturally when you get your noses in front. No player went missing today, they all did their bit, and at the final whistle it was Captain Marvel, still thumping that big powerful chest, that led the rallying call. Cometh the hour, cometh the man. And now cometh Scunthorpe. Let's hope that Good Friday becometh a very very good Friday when three points would maybe, just maybe, secure League One football for one more season at least!

Jeremy Gear

MOTM Vote Result:

Player MOTM Score
Terry Skiverton 30 753
Phil Jevons 7 383
Chris Cohen 5 277
Arron Davies 3 140
Scott Guyett 1 89
Nathan Jones - 68
Andy Lindegaard 1 30

Overall match rating: 8.5 / 10
Performance: 8.4
Entertainment: 8.6

47 votes received.

Any comments/questions please email

Full-time: Yeovil Town 3 - 0 Doncaster Rovers
Match reports are welcomed by Ciderspace for publication - they can be as long or short as you like, humourous or serious as you prefer; and we welcome more than one viewpoint - the more the merrier! Send them to us as soon as possible after the game to, or simply post them to the Ciderspace Mailing-List or Fans Forum and we will pick them up from there.

Back to Top of Page

© Ciderspace 2006
Last Updated : 8th April 2006
design by siteshape