CIDERSPACE The Independent Yeovil Town FC Website
Season 2006-2007 : Yeovil Town vs Chesterfield : Saturday 24th March 2007
Coca Cola League One : Yeovil Town vs Chesterfield

Vote for your YTFC Man of the Match by clicking here

Venue: Huish Park
Saturday 24th March 2007, 3.00pm kick-off.

Scorers: Nathan Jones (89 mins, 1-0)

Attendance: 4,735 (including 153 Chesterfield supporters)

Referee: Trevor Kettle (Rutland)
Assistants: James Cox (Worcestershire) and Simon Knapp (Gloucestershire).
Fourth official: Andrew Turner (Devon).

Yeovil: Lee Morris (foul, 21 mins), Jean-Paul Kalala (retaliation, 73 mins), Nathan Jones (excessive celebration, 90 mins)
Chesterfield: Kyle Critchell (foul, 45 mins), Phil Picken (foul, 73 mins), Reuben Hazell (foul, 79 mins)

Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town : (4-1-2-1-2)
1. Steve Mildenhall
28. Martin Cranie 6. Terrell Forbes 4. Terry Skiverton 3. Nathan Jones
14. Jean-Paul Kalala
9. Arron Davies 11. Chris Cohen
29. Marcus Stewart
25. Lee Morris 10. Wayne Gray

Subs: 5. Scott Guyett 15. Peter Sweeney (81 mins for Marcus Stewart) 31. Nicholas Law 32. Matthew Rose 33. Adam Rooney (66 mins for Wayne Gray)

Chesterfield (4-4-2) :
1. Barry Roche
26. Kyle Critchell 15. Aaron Downes 19. Reuben Hazell 4. Phil Picken
11. Paul Hall 6. Derek Niven 8. Mark Allott 23. Paul Boertien
7. Paul Shaw 10. Colin Larkin

Subs: 2. Alex Bailey (68 mins for Paul Boertien) 9. Wayne Allison (86 mins for Paul Shaw) 20. Jamie Jackson 21. Jamie Lowry (39 mins for Mark Allott) 27. Sebastien Grimaldi

Match Report

Following last week's poor showing by the Glovers against Blackpool, manager Russell Slade made a number of changes to his side for the second home match in a week. Nathan Jones was recalled to the side just 2.5 weeks after being on a hospital table having a groin operation, and that saw Martin Cranie switch across to a right-back position with Terrell Forbes able to resume his partnership with Terry Skiverton at the back. At the other end of the park, Lee Morris was restored to the starting line-up with Marcus Stewart occupying a deeper role.

Early play saw a fourth minute mix-up between Terry Skiverton and Nathan Jones let Paul Shaw through the middle, but keeper Steve Mildenhall came sharply off his line to block Shaw's attempt on goal and Paul Hall couldn't get hold of the rebound. Then Mark Allott's shot from the edge of the box was deflected off the body of Marcus Stewart for a corner as the visitors got the better of the early stages, forcing several additional corners during the early play.

On the whole this was a poor start by the Glovers, and they didn't really apply any pressure on the Chesterfield defence until 15 minutes into the game, with a Lee Morris cross into the box striking the hand of a Chesterfield defender, but referee Trevor Kettle presumably deepming it to be ball to hand.

Lee Morris was booked for a late tackle on Paul Hall as Chesterfield played the ball down the channel - Morris sliding in on the winger for a fairly obvious card. Bar that early pressure from Chesterfield not even the visitors were looking as if they were going to trouble the keeper. The end result was that the ball was mainly bobbling around the middle third without any great end output with again the Huish Park pitch not up to its usual standard and the sharp wind not helping matters with the Glovers largely kicking into the elements. Chesterfield had the majority of the possession and that lulled the home crowd into near silence at times. Thankfully as the half wore on, they seemed to have less and less of a clue of what to do with the ball.

Chesterfield suffered a blow in the lead up to the half time break when central midfielder Mark Allott had to limp off with an injury, forcing the Spireites into a reshuffle as central defender Jamie Lowry was introduced into the game with a significant rotation of players necessary within their ranks.

Right-back Kyle Critchell was booked for a pretty awful tackle on Arron Davies - his former team-mate at Southampton as the half closed out in anonymous fashion with neither side really showing anything to threaten the goalmouths. Yeovil had managed to complete 45 minutes worth of football without a single shot on the Chesterfield goal - whether on or off target. To say there have been better halves played by Yeovil teams in the past would be the understatement of the year.

Half-time: Yeovil Town 1 - 0 Chesterfield

Rather surprisingly Russell Slade chose not to make any half time changes. However there was a more subtle change made, with Yeovil readjusting to an orthodox 4-4-2 with Lee Morris and Arron Davies going wide right and wide left respectively, allowing Marcus Stewart to push into the forward line. That may have contributed to Yeovil making a slightly more positive start, with Arron Davies managing Yeovil's first shot of the entire game 50 minutes into the match. Even if it did go comfortably wide, at least the Glovers had finally broken that duck.

A few minutes later, an Arron Davies free kick was deflected off the corner of the Chesterfield wall after Wayne Gray had been fouled by Reuben Hazell 20 yards from goal - the deflected shot leaving Spireites keeper Barry Roche badly flatfooted as it pinged out for a corner.

Adam Rooney replaced Wayne Gray midway through the half with the Glovers showing an improvement on their first half display, but still lacking a bit of know-how in terms of causing visiting keeper Barry Roche serious headaches in defending his goal. Chesterfield were on the back foot for the first time in the match, but without looking truly threatened.

Phil Picken was booked for a high boot on Jean-Paul Kalala, leaving the Glovers midfielder angry, reacting by pushing him in the chest. Both players were rightly booked, although Picken's histrionics by clutching his face were somewhat laughable - clearly trying to get Kalala sent off by faking where Kalala had made contact. Thankfully referee Trevor Kettle wasn't fooled.

Marcus Stewart almost took advantage of a bit of sloppy keeping from Barry Roche after the keeper dropped the ball in a crowded goalmouth, but as the ball fell loose, Stewart's outstretched boot couldn't get in there before Roche worked out where the ball was - stuck inside the six yard box - and managed to reclaim at the second attempt.

With 15 minutes remaining, Yeovil finally got in behind the Chesterfield defence in emphatic fashion as they broke from deep in their own half. Arron Davies appeared to have outpaced the Chesterfield defence on his route to goal, but he was brought down cynically by Reuben Hazell as he powered through past his man. It could so easily have been a straight red but referee Trevor Kettle only brought out a yellow, deeming that Hazell had covering defenders along side him. It is rather doubtful that any of them would have caught Davies though.

Another Yeovil substitution saw Marcus Stewart withdrawn for Peter Sweeney with time running rapidly out and the match heading for a 0-0 draw. The move allowed Lee Morris to push back up front again, with Sweeney slotting in on the wing.

A rare moment for Chesterfield came in the last five minutes when Colin Larkin screwed the ball across the face of the Yeovil goal as he got in behind the Yeovil defence, evading the linesman's offside flag. It was probably their first serious attack of the second period. The visitors introduced veteran Wayne Allison as a late substitute hoping to get their own late winner despite having had to keep their men behind the ball for most of the second half.

But with one minute of normal time remaining a frustrating game suddenly showed a huge chunk of daylight from an unlikely outlet. A free kick on the right flank was played across the park to Lee Morris. His ball into the box was nodded down by substitute Adam Rooney, and as it bounced once in the 'D' outside the penalty area, Nathan JONES unleashed a right-footed - yes a RIGHT-footed - 20 yard volley from the edge of the box, looping over the reach of Barry Roche and it flew into the net off the underside of the crossbar to give him his first ever Yeovil Town goal. Not too surprisingly Jones went wild, his team-mates went wild and all bar 153 supporters in the ground went wild! A game that looked to be ending disappointingly was now going to end with a wonder goal, and even though Jones was booked for his celebrations, there was no wiping the smile off his face.

Not even four minutes of injury time could provide a demoralised Chesterfield back into the game - time was played out without any incident to worry the Yeovil back line, and three extremely valuable points were secured. It wasn't pretty and for most of the first half it wasn't good either, but the end result will read Yeovil Town 1, Chesterfield 0 and at the end of the season that is the only statistic that will stick in anyone's head.

Full-time: Yeovil Town 1 - 0 Chesterfield
Match reports are welcomed by Ciderspace for publication - they can be as long or short as you like, humourous or serious as you prefer; and we welcome more than one viewpoint - the more the merrier! Send them to us as soon as possible after the game to, or simply post them to the Ciderspace Mailing-List and we will pick them up from there.

Back to Top of Page

© Ciderspace 2007
Last Updated : 24th March 2007
design by siteshape