CIDERSPACE The Independent Yeovil Town FC Website
Season 2003-2004 : Plymouth Argyle reserves v Yeovil Town reserves : Tues 24th February 2004
Pontins Holiday Combination Wales & West Division : Plymouth Argyle reserves 4 - 2 Yeovil Town reserves

Venue: Home Park
Tues 24th January 2004, 7pm kick-off.

Scorers: Ryan Dickson (6, 1-0), Kevin Gall (36, 1-1), Lee Hodges (80, 2-1), Jason Bent (81, 3-1), Ian Stonebridge (87, 4-1), Adam Stansfield (88, 4-2)

Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town :
1. Stephen Collis, 2. Andy Lindegaard, 3. Charlie Welch, 4. Paul Terry, 5. Sam Croft, 6. Stephen Reed, 7. Adam Stansfield, 8. Jamie Gosling, 9. Andy Bishop, 10. Lee Elam, 11. Dale Williams,

Kevin Gall for Andy Bishop (30 mins), Steve Thompson for Paul Terry (60 mins), Greg Squibb for Dale Williams (75 mins)

James Cuff's View Of The Game

The two teams were very different, Yeovil fielding a relatively young side with Paul Terry, Lee Elam and hopefully Andy Bishop really being the only first team players to start, although Lindy, Gosling and Stansfield all regular visitors of the bench. Whereas Plymouth fielded 7 known first team players. Much of the game was very forgettable, due to a lack of fluent passing and decent amounts of possession by either team, although it is fair to say Plymouth played the better passing game.

Plymouth were the stronger side in the first half, their first real chance came after Yeovil had been presurising in the first few minutes, and the ball was knocked on to Ryan DICKSON just inside the area where he was not picked up by any defenders, he had time to turn on the ball and slot it cooly under Collis's left hand side (6 mins). The game was pretty scrappy from then on in for long periods with Steven Reed being the main man who stood out in the Yeovil defence.

Stansfield missed a golden opportunity to equalise around the quarter of an hour mark when he hassled a Plymouth defender until he came away with the ball. Stansfield ran towards the 18 yard box with no one to beat but the goalie, but seemed to slow down before he took the shot which gave the defence just enough time to get back and put a decent challenge in. It seemed to be just a lack of confidence from Stano.

Although Bishop was only on for 30 mins he did not do anything to contribute to the game greatly. Plymouth had 2 great opportunities and Yeovil only had the crossbar to thank. On 30 mins Collis was said to have held on to the ball too long in the area and gave a free kick to Plymouth on the edge of the area, with which Lee hodges stepped up and almost broke the crossbar in two with his attempt at goal. A minute later Wayne O'Sullivan picked up the ball on the half way line and from 30 yards out on the right hand side of the pitch thought he would have a go at goal, and clipped the crossbar. Shortly after that Bishop limped off to be replaced by Gall (33 mins).

Having only been on the pitch a few minutes Kevin GALL made his presence felt when he ran to the back post to hit the equaliser from a Dale Williams cross.

Half-time: Plymouth Argyle reserves 1 - 1 Yeovil Town reserves

In the second half Gall, Elam and Collis where the players to stand out, although Collis let in another 3 goals he did make some great reaction saves against some powerful shots. A ball fell to Dickson from a lucky deflection just inside the 18 yard line and spun and hit the ball to Collis's left but Collis got down quick to deny. He made a similar save from a longer range effort down to his left hand side but again Collis was equal to it. Paul Terry was substituted for Steve Thompson on 70 mins as Terry had failed to make any real impact in the game.

None of the 3 Plymouth second-half goals were anything spectacular. On 80 mins, against the run of play, Lee HODGES just poked the ball in the net from a pass to the back post. Unfortunatly the Yeovil defence didn't close down the Plymouth attack quickly enough. Straight after the goal Paul Wotton was substituted for Darren Parrish. Argyle's third goal came from a quick Plymouth attack a minute later, again with the defence not fast enough closing down a Plymouth player entering the box on the left hand side and headed towards goal. Collis got down well to smoother the ball when it came to him but unfortunatly couldn't hold on and the ball fell kindly for Jason BENT who from 3 yards out hit the ball into the net.

On 87 mins Ian STONEBRIDGE hit a good ball from about 15 yards out which looked like it might have taken a slight deflection to beat Collis to make it 4-1. Adam STANSFIELD got a late consolation a minute later when Roman Larrieu and the Plymouth defence failed to clear their lines and from inside the 6 yard box hit the ball into the back of the net.

Yeovil had the last say in the game when Gall with his blistering pace ran down the right hand side as he had been doing all night causing problems for the Plymouth defence. The striker tried a cheeky shot near the edge of the area on the right hand side, with a defender on him he turned on the ball to create enough space to lob the ball, which looked to be goal bound and had beaten the big man between the stickas only to be denied by the crossbar.

In the second half Gall ran everywhere and made several well timed runs to the right hand corner of the field but unfortunately there were never enough Yeovil players in the attacking box to convert any of the chances. Elam also played well in the second half making some good passes and good runs down the right hand side. Stansfield's game got better as the game progressed. Sam Croft at centre back alongside Reedy made some good defensive headers to get rid of the ball and even had one header in the other box but with no luck.

James Cuff

Full-time: Plymouth Argyle reserves 4 - 2 Yeovil Town Reserves
Match reports are welcomed by Ciderspace for publication - they can be as long or short as you like, humourous or serious as you prefer; and we welcome more than one viewpoint - the more the merrier! Send them to us as soon as possible after the game to, or simply post them to the Ciderspace Mailing-List or Fans Forum and we will pick them up from there.

Back to Top of Page

© Ciderspace 2004
Last Updated : 27th February 2004
design by siteshape