CIDERSPACE The Independent Yeovil Town FC Website
Season 2006-2007 : Yeovil Town vs Huddersfield Town : Friday 5th January 2007
Coca Cola League One : Yeovil Town vs Huddersfield Town

Vote for your YTFC Man of the Match by clicking here

Venue: Huish Park
Friday 5th January 2007, 7.45pm kick-off.

Scorers: None.

Attendance: 5,554 (including approx 150 Huddersfield supporters)

Referee: Mike Russell (Hertfordshire)
Assistants: Steve Creighton (Berkshire), Brendan Malone (Wiltshire)
Fourth official: Keith Stroud (Hampshire)

Yeovil: None
Huddersfield: None

Team Line-Ups

Yeovil Town : (4-3-1-2)
1. Steve Mildenhall
16. Andy Lindegaard 5. Scott Guyett 6. Terrell Forbes 3. Nathan Jones
9. Arron Davies 14. Jean-Paul Kalala 11. Chris Cohen
29. Marcus Stewart
30. Leon Best 25. Lee Morris

Subs: 13. Darren Behcet (GK) 2. Anthony Tonkin 8. Anthony Barry (73 mins for Marcus Stewart) 10. Wayne Gray (87 mins for Leon Best) 27. Ishmael Welsh

Huddersfield Town :
27. Matthew Glennon 2. Andy Holdsworth 5. David Mirfin 17. John McCombe 3. Danny Adams 22. Matthew Young 19. Michael Collins 4. Mark Hudson 7. Chris Brandon 10. Gary Taylor-Fletcher 23. Andy Booth

Subs: 15. John McAliskey 18. Luke Beckett (71 mins for Andy Booth) 21. Aaron Hardy (22 mins for John McCombe) 26. Simon Eastwood 31. Joe Skarz

Match Report

With Russell Slade having lost both of his wide right players during the week, with Martin Cranie and Martin Brittain returning to Southampton and Ipswich Town respectively, a number of changes were essential for the visit of Huddersfield Town, which was being shown live on Sky Sports - the first time Yeovil had been shown in a League match since their promotion to the Football League. In came Andy Lindegaard, making his first appearance for the club since his groin injury at Tranmere in August, whilst Marcus Stewart also made his first appearance for the club for six weeks having signed permanently for the Glovers, tucking himself just behind front pairing Leon Best and Lee Morris in a 4-3-1-2 formation. Jean-Paul Kalala came in, positioning himself as the most deep of the midfield trio, displacing Anthony Barry to the bench, whilst Terry Skiverton's failed fitness test earlier in the day meant that Scott Guyett continued at the heart of the defence.

Rather like the match at Crewe Alexandra, Yeovil got off to a real flyer with a goal on their first attacking play. Andy Lindegaard showed that he was in no way rusty after his four month layoff by getting forward and laying on a pass to Lee Morris with his back to goal. Lindy continued his run and a pair of Huddersfield defenders followed him, expecting Morris to attempt a one-two. The effect was to part the Huddersfield defence like the red sea and Lee MORRIS was able to take the ball on his own, curling the ball from the edge of the area to land the ball just inside the left hand post to put Yeovil 1-0 up. Three minutes gone and the perfect start!

The Glovers were dominant and the Huddersfield defence were looking obviously stretched by the three-man attack for Yeovil with all three players getting plenty of space right from the start. A couple of times passes from Morris and Stewart were a little unlucky in catching Leon Best offside, although on one occasion the Cowlin Stand linesman had clearly committed a howler - Best's run was timed to perfection and had left him clear through on goal only for the official's flag to be incorrectly lifted. With Stewart tucked in behind the two strikers, the Huddersfield defence just couldn't pick him up, gaining him plenty of space against his former club.

Lee Morris went close when Arron Davies chested the ball down into his path allowing Morris the chance to play for a replica of his opening goal, but this time the shot didn't curl and it went just wide of the target. Huddersfield's opening malaise continued with another injury for their troubled side with John McCombe forced out just 20 minutes into the match with Aaron Hardy forced to make an early appearance on the field of play.

Within a minute of the changeover though, Huddersfield were ripped apart by a stunning goal. Moving from end to end inside seconds, Lee Morris received the ball out of his own penalty box, quickly fed Chris Cohen who was sprinting out of defence. Making a 20 yard run, Cohen fed Leon BEST with a wonderful defence splitting pass, and Best ran on, drew the keeper out and then slammed the ball into the roof of the net with a rising drive that would have even been drooled about on Sky's usual Premiership coverage. An awesome move and an awesome goal, with Yeovil now 2-0 up wih just 23 minutes gone!

David Mirfin almost gifted Best a second goal minutes later when he deflected a Lee Morris ball back to his own keeper but it fell well short and as Matthew Glennon advanced, Best got in ahead of him and toepoked the ball just past the keeper only to watch it roll just wide of the post. As the Glovers turned the screw, a Marcus Stewart cross brought an outstanding double save from Glennon, firstly diving low to his right to stop an Arron Davies header and then producing one of the best reaction saves you'll ever see at Huish Park by getting to his feet and scrambling at the feet of the incoming Lee Morris to block his attempt and palm the ball out for a corner right at the foot of his post. Poor old Huddersfield didn't know what had hit them, with their defensive shape in tatters. A minute later Leon Best spurned an excellent opportunity when he received a header on the back post, but for once proved that he was indeed human by planting his header wide of the post.

Huddersfield's respite didn't last long though. Chris Cohen switched play to the right hand flank, switched passes with Marcus Stewart, who slipped a wonderful pass down the side through to Lee Morris. He ran along the byline and delivered an unplayable cross which Huddersfield substitute Aaron HARDY couldn't deal with, except to turn the ball into his own net. With Leon Best breathing down his neck there was no chance of the defender leaving the ball, but in touching the ball himself, he inevitably pushed it over the line for an own goal. 3-0 up and the half time break hadn't even been reached yet!

Chris Cohen almost made it 4-0 when he ran into the penalty box and accepted a superb short pass by Lee Morris. This was what was undoing Huddersfield - the off the ball running was superb and the passing almost telepathic. Passes were being played into spaces for players to run onto and the Terriers' back line were always 5 yards away from working out what on earth Yeovil were up to. Arron Davies flashed a shot just wide of the post when he was set up by a forward run as the half drew to a close.

In the 45th minute, Huddersfield had a shot! Mark Hudson's attempt was scuffed, weak and from the edge of the box. Then right on half time Matthew Young allowed Steve Mildenhall to actually do his first work of the half- comfortably getting down to the edge of area attempt. That was as close as Huddersfield had got all half in a 45 minute period that had seen the Yorkshire side played off the park and chasing shadows. About the only criticism you could level at the Glovers was that the 3-0 scoreline flattered the visitors - it could so easily have been a 6-0 score that Huddersfield went into the break on.

Half-time: Yeovil Town 3 - 0 Huddersfield Town

The second half threatened, initially at least, to start in the same manner as the first, with Nathan Jones and Leon Best on a couple of occasions creating plenty of space down the left flank as Yeovil attacked the Westland Terrace end. But Huddersfield appeared to have changed things tactically at half time to try and plug some of the gaps around their penalty box and were able to block out the early attacks by mirroring Yeovil's formation and aiming to mark Yeovil's players on more of a man-for-man basis.

Five minutes into the second half though, Huddersfield gave themselves a lifeline by grabbing a goal back. Chris Brandon's low crossfield ball caught the Yeovil defence off their stride and as the ball ran across the path of Andy Lindegaard wrongfooting the right-back, the ball fell to Gary TAYLOR-FLETCHER, who changed the ball from one foot to another, then planted a superb chip into the back of the net as Steve Mildenhall scrambled back to his goal-line in vain.

Yeovil hit back as Lee Morris ran his way across the face of the penalty box, unleashing a shot from the edge of the box that just cleared the crossbar. But overall this was a far more even second period with neither side particularly getting on top and perhaps the Yeovil side being a little away of how edgy the away games at Crewe and Brighton became right at the end of the match. Andy Booth almost made matters all the more edgy when just short of the hour mark he got on the end of a right-wing cross, heading just wide of the target.

An Andy Lindegaard deep right-wing cross almost caught out visiting keeper Matthew Glennon as it turned into an on-target shot. At the other end, Gary Taylor-Fletcher, now playing properly up front with Andy Booth rather than stuck out in a wide position, tested Steve Mildenhall, but the keeper got down and made a relatively comfortable low save. Huddersfield introduced Luke Beckett to try and use his pace to get in behind the Yeovil defence, replacing Booth, who bar that earlier header had managed to get very little out of Scott Guyett. With Taylor-Fletcher the main Huddersfield danger, clearly the gambit was to try and use another tricky striker to try and unlock the Yeovil defence a second time. As if to counteract that, Marcus Stewart was withdrawn having played 73 excellent minutes on his return, replaced by the more defensively minded Anthony Barry, with Yeovil switching back to a 4-4-2.

The introduction of Barry into the side and the switch in formation appeared to stabilise the Glovers following Huddersfield's best spell of the game, and Scott Guyett almost made it 4-1 when he flicked on a free kick with 15 minutes left, with keeper Matthew Glennon once again at his best to palm the ball over his own crossbar for a corner. A couple of minutes later, Nathan Jones put on a show for the Sky cameras with a series of stepovers to confuse the Huddersfield full-back as he managed to push his way forward in the dying minutes to put Huddersfield on the back foot once again. Another Jones move saw Chris Cohen delicately fed down the line allowing Cohen to pull the ball back for Lee Morris and only a brave defensive block denied him his second of the afternoon.

With the game almost over, Leon Best got a warm round of applause when he was replaced by Wayne Gray with three minutes remaining. Gray saw very little of the ball as the game fizzled out with Huddersfield having long since realised that they were not going to get the game back, whilst the Glovers knew they had already done the business before even the half time break. By comparison the second half was a bit of a damp squib but bar a 15 minute spell Yeovil still looked relatively in control, even if they only rarely threatened to add to their three first half goals. The first half though was sublime and probably their best since they entered League One. With the win lifting Yeovil up to 5th in the table, matters continue to look all the more optimistic as the season winds on.

MOTM Vote Result:

Pos Player
1 Lee Morris
2 Leon Best
3 Andy Lindegaard

Overall match rating: 8.5 / 10
Performance: 8.5
Entertainment: 8.5

56 votes received.

Any comments/questions please email

Full-time: Yeovil Town 3 - 1 Huddersfield Town
Match reports are welcomed by Ciderspace for publication - they can be as long or short as you like, humourous or serious as you prefer; and we welcome more than one viewpoint - the more the merrier! Send them to us as soon as possible after the game to, or simply post them to the Ciderspace Mailing-List and we will pick them up from there.

Back to Top of Page

© Ciderspace 2007
Last Updated : 5th January 2007
design by siteshape