Match Details: Accrington Stanley v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Accrington Stanley v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 26/11/2016
Accrington Stanley 1-1 Yeovil Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Otis Khan (51)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Liam Shephard, 3. Nathan Smith, 6. Alex Lacey, 7. Kevin Dawson, 8. Alex Lawless, 9. Tom Eaves, 10. Otis Khan, 11. Ryan Dickson, 23. Ryan Hedges, 28. Ben Whitfield
Subs: 5. Bevis Mugabi, 12. Jonny Maddison, 13. Francois Zoko, 14. Josh Ezewele, 15. Kyle Copp, 18. Omar Sowunmi, 19. Tahvon Campbell,

Substitutes Used: Francois Zoko for Otis Khan (73 mins), Bevis Mugabi for Ben Whitfield (85 mins), Tahvon Campbell for Tom Eaves (90 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town conceded a last minute goal against Accrington Stanley this afternoon as a goal from Romauld Boco pegged them back. The Glovers had been leading from early in the second half, after Otis Khan scored his fourth goal of the 2016-17 season, and his second direct free kick during that time. The Glovers had looked as though they were snuffing out any hopes of the home side getting back into the match, as the clock ran down, but a long ball up the middle was deflected through to Boco, and he ran through to score the equaliser for a 1-1 draw, thus ensuring the Glovers end the day in 13th place, but still two points off the top seven.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes to their starting line-up, all of which were largely enforced. Matt Butcher was suspended for one match, and so his place in the side was taken by Alex Lawless who was returning from injury. Matt Dolan's hamstring problem was known about, and so it wasn't too surprising to find Ben Whitfield taking his spot in the side. However, a few eyebrows were raised by the absence of captain Darren Ward - with swelling on his knee meaning that he sat out the match, with Nathan Smith coming into the centre of defence, with Ryan Dickson taking the armband.

It was a fairly scrappy first half, that commenced with Kevin Dawson firing well wide of the target. The Glovers were having the better of it though, with a long range Ryan Hedges being saved by Elliot Parish, whilst with another chance, Otis Khan fired the ball towards the far post, with Parish beaten, and Ryan Hedges heading in for the loose ball, but an Accrington defender managed to clear his lines before the open goal could be capitalised. It took around midway through the second half before Accrington could get a foothold in the match, with a Matty Pearson attempt saved by Artur Krysiak, followed up by a Shay McCartan free kick that went to the near post but was pushed away by the Glovers keeper for a corner.

From that same corner, Nathan Smith had to hack the ball away, and as the first half closed, there was just a feeling that the home side were finding their feet, as John O'Sullivan narrowly fired over the crossbar. However, their attempts to put pressure on Yeovil were not helped by a lengthy delay and concern for Zak Vyner who had landed on the deck, requiring physio, then doctor, then a stretcher to take him off the field with what seemed to be concern about his breathing, although it wasn't clear if that was connected with a physical challenge, or if he was suffering from other issues. Either way, he thankfully was moving as he left the pitch. Accrington threatened again as the half closed, as defender Mark Hughes got two chances - a header that took a nasty deflection off Tom Eaves, but Krysiak reacted to, and then a free header that he put over the bar. Right on the half time whistle, Tom Eaves almost squeezed one in from a narrow angle, but the Accrington keeper saved with his legs. All-in-all, fairly even.

The breakthrough came five minutes into the second half when Otis Khan was fouled by Paddy Lacey on the corner of the area. With Matt Dolan injured, there was no issue in terms of who was going to take the set piece, although with it being on the left side, it more suited a right-footer. That became even more apparent, when Khan curled his shot around the right side of the wall and through a crowd of players, and into the far corner of the back of the net for a 1-0 lead.

With the goal being scored at more or less the same point in the game as Dolan's was netted at Crewe a few weeks ago, the aim was an obvious one - to snuff the home side out for the remainder of the match. Accrington were showing some danger though through substitute Romauld Boco, who came on immediately after Khan's goal, and he 'scored' just under 15 minutes after Khan's goal, although a linesman's flag going up meant that probably even the substitute knew it wasn't going to count, as he failed to beat the offside trap.

Accrington hadn't scored a goal for four matches, and with the Glovers providing almost a 4-5-1 rearguard, they were struggling to find space on the park. Jordan Clarke fired over the bar, but even that was from distance. With 17 minutes remaining, the familiar substitution of Otis Khan for Francois Zoko saw the Glovers switch to a 4-4-2 diamond, whilst towards the end, they changed again, with the unusual sight of Bevis Mugabi playing as a rather defensive-minded right-flank player when he replaced Ben Whitfield. With Tom Eaves having a shot finger-tipped over the bar, all seemed to be going to plan as the clock wound downwards.

Unfortunately for Yeovil Town, their slice of luck in seeing late goals go for them in recent weeks, on this occasion went against them. As the fourth official signalled for four minutes injury time, a long free kick became their undoing. The spot of Route One saw Yeovil's centre-back pairing appearing to not communicate as to who was going to challenge Gary Taylor-Fletcher for the ball, and that meant that when he flicked the ball on, fellow substitute Romauld Boco was in the clear, and was able to convert a late equalising goal. Two points undoubtedly dropped, and one place lower in the League Two table - even if many fans probably would have taken a point before the match kicked off, the timing will have stung somewhat.

Link: 2016-17 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Accrington Stanley 1 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Otis Khan (0-1, 51 mins), Romuald Boco (1-1, 90 mins)

Accrington Stanley:
1. Elliot Parish 6. Zak Vyner 3. Mark Hughes 2. Matty Pearson 11. Sean McConville 27. John O'Sullivan 8. Scott Brown 28. Seamus Conneely 7. Jordan Clark 10. Shay McCartan 29. Billy Kee

4. Arron Davies 5. Omar Beckles 9. Terry Gornell 14. Romuald Boco (60 mins for Shay McCartan) 15. Gary Taylor-Fletcher (71 mins for Billy Kee) 17. Patrick Lacey (39 mins for Zak Vyner) 20. Aaron Chapman

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
2. Liam Shephard 6. Alex Lacey 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson (Capt)
7. Kevin Dawson 8. Alex Lawless 28. Ben Whitfield
10. Otis Khan 9. Tom Eaves 23. Ryan Hedges

Substitutes: 12. Jonny Maddison 5. Bevis Mugabi (85 mins for Ben Whitfield) 13. Francois Zoko (73 mins for Otis Khan) 14. Josh Ezewele 15. Kyle Copp 18. Omar Sowumni 19. Tahvon Campbell (90 mins for Tom Eaves)

Accrington Stanley Bookings: None.

Yeovil Bookings: None.

Accrington Stanley Match Statistics: Possession: 55%; Shots: 12; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 8; Fouls: 10.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 45%; Shots: 11; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 2; Fouls: 15.

Referee: Dean Whitestone (Northamptonshire). Assistants: Ricky Wootton (West Yorkshire) and Joe Simpson (Manchester). Fourth Official: Alf Greenwood (North Yorkshire).

Attendance: 1,263 (with 110 Yeovil Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape