Ciderspace News Page : Glovers Thrash St Blazey ... Eventually!
14 July 2006 : Glovers Thrash St Blazey ... Eventually!
Yeovil Town completed their tour of Cornwall with an emphatic 6-1 win over St Blazey to come home having scored 11 goals in 48 hours. However they were made to work hard for their goals by a home side that only caved in around the hour mark when Yeovil's second half side ran riot over their hosts.

The change in the balance of the game happened over a stunning 15 minute period. With 57 minutes gone, St Blazey were drawing 1-1 at Blaise Park - a quarter of an hour later the scoreline was a rather different looking 6-1, with the Cornishmen unable to cope with the introduction of what must surely be now Russell Slade's candidate first XI side.

The game started with the Glovers trying out the eleven players who did not feature so heavily against Bodmin Town on Wednesday. The line-up for the start of the match was as follows:

Darren Behcet
Andy Lindegaard, Bradley Thomas, Scott Guyett, Gavin McCallum
Maz Mohammed, JP Kalala, Anthony Barry, Ishmael Welsh
Michele Di Piedi, Daniel Webb.

Daniel Webb scored the opener with half an hour gone, but five minutes into the second half Scott Guyett gave away a penalty and St Blazey equalised. Just as Russell Slade was organising his 'other' team to come on at the hour mark, Daniel Webb netted his 6th goal of pre-season to put Yeovil 2-1 up and that was the last he and most of the players saw of the game with only Darren Behcet and Ishmael Welsh staying on the pitch - the latter because Arron Davies had taken a slight knock. That produced the following second half formation:

Darren Behcet
Kevin Amankwaah, Terrell Forbes, Terry Skiverton, Nathan Jones
David Poole, Paul Terry, Chris Cohen, Ishmael Welsh
Matt Harrold, Wayne Gray.

They proceeded to run riot. Wayne Gray (63 mins) netted after a quickly taken free kick found him unmarked in the central part of the penalty box. Two minutes later Matt Harrold made it 4-1 when he picked up a loose ball. Another four minutes and Wayne Gray got his second of the night after a through pass deflected over the top of the St Blazey defence and into his path. Then on 72 minutes, Nathan Jones completed the 6-1 rout by latching onto the end of a multi-team move and firing home from the edge of the box.

The Glovers could have got even more than that were it not for some slightly iffy finishing from Michele Di Piedi, Terry Skiverton and Paul Terry along with some rather charitable refereeing when Wayne Gray was wrestled to the floor late on. But in the end Yeovil Town came home from Cornwall with two impressive wins, even if one slight irk Russell Slade will have had will be that it needed his first choice XI side to see off the South Western League side. All the same, it is good to see so many players - particularly the strikers - with their shooting boots on, and there's little doubt that Messrs Slade, Thompson and Milton will see the positive side of their four days down in Cornwall.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

Other News Items For 14/07/2006

14/07/2006 : Glovers Thrash St Blazey ... Eventually!
14/07/2006 : Glovers Gold Bond Week 16 Results
14/07/2006 : St Blazey vs Yeovil Town Match Preview
14/07/2006 : Three Signings Still A Target
14/07/2006 : Friendlies Ticketing Reminder
14/07/2006 : Rankin Chooses Inverness

News Archives

To go to the Ciderspace News Archives, click here.
To subscribe to this News Page's RSS Feed, copy this link into your News Reader. Alternatively Join us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter.
To see all news for August 2019 click here.
To see all news for July 2019 click here.

© Ciderspace 1999-2004
Last Updated : 17th August 2015
design by siteshape