Ciderspace News Page : Two Goal Comeback The First For Glovers In Ten Years
22 August 2015 : Two Goal Comeback The First For Glovers In Ten Years
Yeovil Town's win today, provoked the big question of the last time the club had come from two goals down to win a league match. Today saw the Glovers 3-2 win over Luton Town at Huish Park, but they had to do it the hard way, trailing by two goals after just 18 minutes, after Craig Mackail-Smith's and Paul Benson's goals. With Stephen Arthurworrey's header and a brace from Ryan Bird turning the match on its head, one of the questions raised by Glovers fans at the game was when the last time that had happened.

In terms of coming from behind to win a game from a single goal down, the answer is that you don't have to look too far back in the records to find such a case. The Glovers managed it in March 2015, when a 2-1 win over Oldham Athletic was achieved through second half goals from Joel Grant and James Hayter. The Glovers also achieved the same a month earlier with the 2-1 win over Crawley Town at Huish Park.

To find a case of a two goal deficit being overturned though, you have to go back considerably further. Within the context of a two-legged play-off semi-final we achieved this in May 2007 when the club beat Nottingham Forest 5-4 on aggregate after being 3-1 down on aggregate midway through the second leg, and of course 2-0 down after the first leg. However, for the last occasion this happened in a bulk standard League fixture, you'll need to head back to October 2005, and the topsy-turvy match against Scunthorpe United at Glanford Park that saw the club win 4-3 after coming from two goals down - Darren Way, Phil Jevons and a Matt Harrold brace turned the game from a 2-0 deficit into a 4-2 advantage. During the 2004-05 season we also took a 2-0 scoreline against Cambridge United and turned that into a 5-3 win.

However, to find the last time the Glovers did this in a home league match, you have to go back a long time. A very long time. On December 4th 1999 - nearly sixteen years ago - the Glovers took on Northwich Victoria at Huish Park in a Conference League match. They fell 2-0 down to the Vics, with goals from Robert Pell and Val Owen leaving them 2-0 down on 66 minutes. The comeback charge was started by Terry Skiverton three minutes later, with Matt Hayfield's equaliser coming soon after that. Then in the 90th minute, Warren Patmore tapped in a Tony Pounder cross, to leave Northwich in despair, and make manager Steve Thompson - then in his first spell in the dugout - a rather happy man.

Share on Facebook Tweet This!

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

Other News Items For 22/08/2015

22/08/2015 : Two Goal Comeback The First For Glovers In Ten Years
22/08/2015 : Sturrock Praises Grit And Determination After Glovers Comeback Win
22/08/2015 : Man of the Match Voting for Yeovil Town vs Luton Town
22/08/2015 : Yeovil 3 Luton 2 : Bird Double Completes Stunning Comeback
22/08/2015 : Team News For Yeovil Town vs Luton Town
22/08/2015 : Luton Town : The Lowdown

News Archives

To go to the Ciderspace News Archives, click here.
To subscribe to this News Page's RSS Feed, copy this link into your News Reader. Alternatively Join us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter.
To see all news for August 2019 click here.
To see all news for July 2019 click here.

© Ciderspace 1999-2004
Last Updated : 17th August 2015
design by siteshape