Match Details: Yeovil Town v Plymouth Argyle
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Plymouth Argyle

Match Details: 28/11/2017
Yeovil Town 2-1 Plymouth Argyle
Checkatrade Trophy Group Stage

Yeovil Goals: Tom James (61), Sam Surridge (88)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 6. Keston Davies, 8. Connor Smith, 10. Jake Gray, 11. Ryan Dickson, 13. Francois Zoko, 15. Jordan Green, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 24. Olufela Olomola, 30. Alefe Santos
Subs: 3. Nathan Smith, 7. Otis Khan, 12. Jonny Maddison, 14. Sam Surridge, 16. James Bailey, 23. Tom James, 25. Sid Nelson,

Substitutes Used: Tom James for Bevis Mugabi (46 mins), Otis Khan for Jake Gray (46 mins), Sam Surridge for Francois Zoko (83 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town finished top of their EFL Trophy Group tonight, as a late goal from AFC Bournemouth loanee Sam Surridge provided to be the difference between themselves and Plymouth Argyle. With both sides having made numerous changes to their standard Saturday afternoon line-ups, it was the Pilgrims who got the upper hand in a low-key first half as Ryan Taylor gave them the lead at the break. However, a double substitution and a formation change turned the tide, with one of those incoming players, Tom James, scoring his first Glovers goal with a near post header. Surridge then won the match two minutes from time, to give Yeovil a Second Round tie against AFC Wimbledon, and to send their visitors entirely out of the competition.

The Glovers went into the match making five changes to their starting line-up from Saturday's game at Wycombe. Keston Davies got his first start for the club since the opening day of the season, whilst Bevis Mugabi returned from suspension. There was also a whole new midfield, with Jake Gray, Alefe Santos and Jordan Green all coming in, which resulted in another formation change as 4-3-3 was brought back for the start of the match.

The first half wasn't too much to write home about, from either side. However, Argyle took the lead with the first chance of any kind. Aaron Taylor-Sinclair got into an advanced wide position, and caused Bevis Mugabi to overcommit himself, and that gave him enough room to put in a cross that Ryan Taylor converted for a 1-0 lead, after just 16 minutes.

Argyle were marginally the better side during the first half, although neither side did much to threaten a second goal. Yeovil's best chance - and possibly their only real first half attempt - came from Olufela Olomola as Jordan Green's cross into the box allowed the Southampton loanee to strike the ball on the volley, but with Hull City loanee William Mannion well positioned to make the save in what was his first Argyle appearance. The visitors had a couple of other half chances, but overall this was a low key first half.

A double half time substitution served to shake things up at the break. Otis Khan replaced Jake Gray, whilst Tom James replaced Bevis Mugabi. That also saw a formation change, with Khan moving to the left flank. Initially Olomola stayed on the other side, although later switched with Jordan Green. Khan's impact on the second half was obvious, as he forced two corners via deflections off a free kick and a shot, whilst he nearly set up Keston Davies, as Yann Songo'o blocked the defender's shot.

Francois Zoko should have levelled after he was put clean through by Alefe Santos, lobbing the advancing Plymouth goalkeeper well, but unfortunately seeing his shot going just wide of the post. However, Yeovil were to equalise on the hour mark from an unlikely source. Again Otis Khan was the instigator - his free kick found Tom James at the near post and he headed home for his first goal since his January move to the club from Cardiff City. 1-1 and Yeovil were back on top of their group in the live table.

Plymouth really weren't at the races in the second half, and they were fortunate not to have a penalty and a player sent off against them when Francois Zoko was pulled back in the box by Ryan Edwards. No decision was made by referee Brett Huxtable, much to the dismay of the sub-1,000 home section of the crowd. The Pilgrims rolled the dice by making substitutions and formation changes once it became clear that Chelsea Under-21s were going through, based on their result against Exeter City, but that possibility was made certain a minute from time when Olufela Olomola's cross into the box was met by Sam Surridge who fired a first time shot home for a 2-1 lead, and to finalise a Second Round tie against AFC Wimbledon, whilst ending Plymouth's interest in the competition.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Plymouth Argyle 1.

Scorers: Ryan Taylor (16 mins, 0-1), Tom James (61 mins, 1-1), Sam Surridge (88 mins, 2-1)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
5. Bevis Mugabi 17. Omar Sowunmi 6. Keston Davies 11. Ryan Dickson
10. Jake Gray 30. Alefe Santos 8. Connor Smith
24. Olufela Olomola 13. Francois Zoko (Capt) 15. Jordan Green

12. Jonny Maddison (GK) 3. Nathan Smith 7. Otis Khan (46 mins for Jake Gray) 14. Sam Surridge (83 mins for Francois Zoko) 16. James Bailey 23. Tom James (46 mins for Bevis Mugabi) 25. Sid Nelson

Plymouth Argyle:
35 William Mannion
2 Gary Miller 15 Sonny Bradley 5 Ryan Edwards 17 Aaron Taylor-Sinclair
7 Antoni Sarcevic 4 Yann Songo'o 10 Graham Carey 18 Oscar Threlkeld
19 Ryan Taylor 27 Alex Fletcher

8 Lionel Ainsworth (72 mins for Ryan Taylor) 14 Jake Jervis (62 mins for Alex Fletcher) 16 Joel Grant 20 Jakub Sokolik 21 Gregg Wylde (80 mins for Gary Miller) 32 Toumani Diagouraga 39 Max Childs

Yeovil Bookings: None.

Plymouth Argyle Bookings: Sonny Bradley (foul, 48 mins), Yann Songo'o (dissent), Oscar Threlkeld (foul, 87 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 55%; Shots: 9; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 7; Fouls: 10.

Plymouth Argyle Match Statistics: Possession: 45%; Shots: 3; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 2; Fouls: 16.

Referee: Brett Huxtable (Devon). Assistants: Kevin Morris (Herefordshire) and Christopher Husband (Worcestershire). Fourth Official: Simon Knapp (Bristol).

Attendance: 1,110 (with 237 Plymouth Argyle supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape