Match Details: Port Vale v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Port Vale v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 02/12/2017
Port Vale 1-1 Yeovil Town
FA Cup Second Round

Yeovil Goals: Jordan Green (89)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 3. Nathan Smith, 7. Otis Khan, 11. Ryan Dickson, 13. Francois Zoko, 14. Sam Surridge, 16. James Bailey, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 23. Tom James, 24. Olufela Olomola, 30. Alefe Santos,
Subs: 4. Matt Worthington, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 6. Keston Davies, 12. Jonny Maddison, 15. Jordan Green, 20. Oscar Gobern, 82. Connor Smith

Substitutes Used: Jordan Green for Otis Khan (68 mins), Oscar Gobern for James Bailey (69 mins), Connor Smith for Alefe Santos (82 mins)

Bookings: Ryan Dickson (Foul, 33)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained a late equalising goal to take themselves into the FA Cup Third Round draw, after former AFC Bournemouth attacker Jordan Green scored his first goal for the club. Whilst it was not the most convincing of Glovers performances, they stayed in the competition with a 1-1 draw after Oscar Gobern's cross into the box wasn't cleared at the tail end of the gamem, meaning that Port Vale will have to travel down to Huish Park for a midweek replay in around ten days time. The home side had taken a deserved lead through a Tom Pope header, and looked good value for that throughout the game, but couldn't dig the ball out when they needed to, and the Glovers got a late bit of drama to keep themselves in the competition.

The Glovers went into the match making two changes to their starting line-up, compared to their last league fixture. Otis Khan's illness had cleared up in midweek and he came into the side ahead of Jordan Green. The other change from the match at Wycombe saw Alefe Santos come in for Matt Worthington. New signing Oscar Gobern sat on the bench, meaning that there was no room for Jake Gray on the teamsheet. Vale's side lacked former loanee Ben Whitfield, who is currently recovering from injury.

The first half saw both sides struggle to seriously test the keepers - an Omar Sowunmi header that tamely went into Ryan Boot's arms from a Tom James free kick, was sort of a chance, but not one that worried the home keeper. The visitors were creating rather more, although suffered from their inability to get shots on target. Gavin Gunning's header hit the side netting from a David Worrall free kick, seeing a few Vale fans cheer, but it had hit the outside of the goal instead.

Both sides were guilty of misplaced passes during the first half, leading to home fans in particular being vocally critical of their side - even when they did complete passes they were often sideways or backwards. Gradually though, they managed to provide a bit more creativity, as a Gavin Gunning cross was met by a Tom Pope header that went wide. Cristian Montano then shot wide and headed wide. Right on half time, another Pope header from a Gunning cross was blocked by a defender on the back post, and although Artur Krysiak hadn't had much to do, it was obvious which side had the greater chances.

Port Vale made a double substitution at half time, along with a formation change, switching to a 3-5-2 and that put them immediately on the front foot. Antony Kay put over the crosbar, whilst Anton Forrester's header went into the arms of Krysiak. Then Omar Sowunmi managed to get a boot on a Michael Tonge shot to take the sting out of it. Tom Pope's shot was blocked after Tyler Denton broke through and squared it to him, whilst there was another nervy moment when Krysiak spilt a cross, and Forrester's attempt to convert the loose ball failed.

Yeovil had barely threatened, but on the hour mark they did fashion their best chance of the match when Sam Surridge set up Otis Khan, with a defender's block for a corner, stopping Khan from getting an unexpected goal. But that was to be a false dawn. Substitute Tyler Denton's cross into the box 63 minutes into the match found the head of Tom Pope, and once again the big target man scored against the Glovers to put the home side 1-0 up.

A double substitution shortly after the goal saw Jordan Green and Oscar Gobern introduced for Otis Khan and James Bailey, with Ryan Dickson taking over the captaincy. But still Yeovil struggled to create any chances of note, with Marcus Harness and Anton Forrester putting wide of the target as Port Vale looked the most likely to score.

But on 89 minutes, Yeovil finally tested home keeper Ryan Boot with a Tom James shot, and less than a minute later, they'd managed to unexpectedly grab an equalising goal, with two substitutes combining. Oscar Gobern's cross into the box bounced around in the area without being properly cleared, and Jordan Green was on hand to put the ball in the net just before the game entered four minutes of added time. In truth, on the balance of play it wasn't deserved, but cup games are often about hanging in there, and suddenly with home advantage to count in the replay, Yeovil Town got themselves a lifeline where they didn't expect one, and will take their place in the Third Round draw.

Final Score: Port Vale 1 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Tom Pope (1-0, 63 mins), Jordan Green (1-1, 89 mins)

Port Vale:
23 Ryan Boot
21 James Gibbons 4 Tom Anderson 24 Nathan Smith 33 Gavin Gunning
10 David Worrall 32 Michael Tonge 11 Cristian Montano
6 Antony Kay 8 Danny Pugh
9 Tom Pope

3 Tyler Denton (46 mins for Danny Pugh) 7 Marcus Myers-Harness (71 mins for David Worrall) 12 Sam Hornby 14 Tyrone Barnett 15 Anton Forrester (46 mins for Cristian Montano) 18 William Reeves 19 Dan Turner

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
23. Tom James 17. Omar Sowunmi 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson
24. Olufela Olomola 30. Alefe Santos 16. James Bailey (Capt) 7. Otis Khan
14. Sam Surridge 13. Francois Zoko

12. Jonny Maddison (GK) 4. Matt Worthington 5. Bevis Mugabi 6. Keston Davies 8. Connor Smith (82 mins for Alefe Santos) 15. Jordan Green (68 mins for Otis Khan) 20. Oscar Gobern (69 mins for James Bailey)

Port Vale Bookings: James Gibbons (foul, 87 mins)

Yeovil Bookings: Ryan Dickson (foul, 33 mins)

Port Vale Match Statistics: Possession: 53%; Shots: 14; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 5; Fouls: 5.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 47%; Shots: 6; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 2; Fouls: 6.

Referee: Scott Oldham (Lancashire). Assistants: Richard Wigglesworth (South Yorkshire) and Andrew Hendley (West Midlands). Fourth Official: Peter Wright (Liverpool).

Attendance: 3,316 (with 204 Yeovil Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape