Match Details: Yeovil Town v Mansfield Town
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Mansfield Town

Match Details: 28/04/2018
Yeovil Town 2-3 Mansfield Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Bevis Mugabi (17), Francois Zoko (57)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 6. Lewis Wing, 7. Otis Khan, 8. Connor Smith, 13. Francois Zoko, 15. Jordan Green, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 18. Alex Fisher, 23. Tom James, 27. Shaun Donnellan
Subs: 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Jared Bird, 9. Rhys Browne, 14. Sam Surridge, 20. Oscar Gobern, 21. Ryan Seager, 25. Steve Phillips,

Substitutes Used: Rhys Browne for Jordan Green (63 mins), Sam Surridge for Alex Fisher (66 mins), Jared Bird for Connor Smith (79 mins)

Bookings: Alex Fisher (Foul, 8), Sam Surridge (Foul, 67), Omar Sowunmi (Foul, 85),

Match Report:

Yeovil Town ended their 2017-18 home fixtures with defeat to Mansfield Town in a topsy-turvy game. The 2-3 defeat saw the Glovers hold the lead twice, with Bevis Mugabi heading his side into the lead from a corner. The Stags needed to win, and were inspired by substitute Lee Angol who equalised from close range three minutes after coming on as a half time change. Francois Zoko then restored Yeovil's lead from the penalty spot after Omar Sowunmi had been pushed in the box, but referee Charles Breakspear then awarded a second spot kick for handball, allowing Kane Hemmings the chance to level. Angol then won the match with a well-taken free kick 14 minutes from time, with Yeovil's day being marred by Sowunmi's 97th minute red card after he committed one too many fouls for the referee's liking, with his side ending the day in 20th place in the table.

The Glovers made two changes to their line-up with one of those forced. Jonny Maddison picked up a hip flexor injury in training on Friday and his place in the side was taken by Artur Krysiak, making his first appearance for the club since his own knee injury. In midfield, Connor Smith got his first start in six weeks, displacing Jared Bird. Mansfield went into the game needing to win in order to keep their play-off dreams alive, having stuttered in their form since their change of management a dozen games ago.

Mansfield had the best of the early chances, as Alex MacDonald shot well wide, followed by Paul Digby heading into the side netting on the near post, as Mal Benning swung in a corner. It took a while for the Glovers to warm up, and Lewis Wing's wayward shot was fortunate in that it deflected for a corner. Yeovil were able to profit from that though, as Otis Khan swung it into the near post, and Bevis Mugabi was there to head home a 17th minute opener for what had been their first proper chance of the game. 1-0 up and an end to 467 minutes at Huish Park without a home goal.

The Stags clearly had a problem on their hands, with Coventry ultimately on their way to a 6-1 win at Cheltenham Town. Whether they were explictly aware of that, or whether it was just that they were a goal down, they seemed to go into panic mode, with pairs of players twice challenging each other for the same ball, allowing Yeovil to regain possession. Jordan Green had a shot palmed away, whilst Otis Khan's drive deflected from a corner after a Lewis Wing free kick had gone into the wall. Yeovil looked more calm and assured than their opponents and from that point of view they deserved to go into the half time break with their lead.

Mansfield made a half time substitution, bringing on Lee Angol, and that was to prove significant. Danny Rose had fired over the bar when he really should have equalised from a Mal Benning cross, with Artur Krysiak having been over-committed by punching an earlier ball clear. But it took just three minutes for the equaliser to come, with Jordan Green losing possession inside his own half, leading to Kane Hemmings cross into the box finding Danny Rose. His initial attempt was blocked by Krysiak, but Angol was able to bundle home from close range. 1-1.

Krysiak picked up a head injury in the scramble for that goal, leading to a significant delay but he was eventually passed fit to continue. And it took Yeovil just nine minutes before they were able to get their noses back in front. Referee Charles Breakspear was certainly rather noticeable in the match, and he awarded Yeovil a spot kick when he decided Omar Sowunmi had been pushed in the box for a spot kick that left Mansfield furious, with a number of flare-ups delaying the kick, as Krystian Pearce got carded for expressing his views. Francois Zoko stepped up, and slotted home his 15th goal of the season for a 2-1 scoreline.

Yeovil withdrew Alex Fisher, bringing on Sam Surridge, whilst Rhys Browne replaced Jordan Green. One of Surridge's early contributions was to add himself in a growing list of bookings, penalised for bringing down Alex MacDonald. From the resultant free kick, Lee Angol's strike was blasted into the wall, but then referee Breakspear took centre stage once again, penalising one of Shaun Donnellan or Lewis Wing for a handball as they blocked the shot. Kane Hemmings didn't care how questionable the decision was, and although Artur Krysiak went the right way, the ball landed in the net for a 2-2 scoreline.

That was the key for the game to go into an extreme end-to-end contest, with Yeovil wanting to re-take the lead, whilst Mansfield needed to grab the win. Tom James saw a shot parried by Conrad Logan after Otis Khan and Francois Zoko were involved in a build-up that saw Zoko feed him. Then Lee Angol was inches away from converting a Kane Hemmings cross at the other end. But Angol didn't need long to get his next opportunity. Omar Sowunmi committed a foul on the edge of the box, and with the ball set up in a dangerous position, the Mansfield substitute curled it home from 20 yards out to give his side the 2-3 advantage they'd craved.

Mansfield might have been expected to have shut up shop at this stage, but set out in a 4-3-3 formation for the second period, maybe they couldn't and there were still opportunities for Yeovil to equalise. Sam Surridge headed wide of the goal, whilst Francois Zoko had appeals for a third penalty of the game turned down when he went down inside the box. Jared Bird also put over the bar, before the last word on the match went to referee Charles Breakspear. In fairness on this occasion, he'd tried to avoid raising a red card. Omar Sowunmi had been the man who fouled for Mansfield's third goal, and when he brought down Angol again, he was given an 85th minute booking. When he fouled again on the 90 minute mark he was given a lengthy 'last warning' which meant his 97th minute foul on Angol again made it almost impossible for Breakspear not to dismiss him. Yeovil's 10th red card of the 2017-18 season, stands as an unnecessary one from a Glovers point of view, and will almost certainly mean the defender will be ruled out of the opening day of the 2018-19 season as a result.

Link: 2017-18 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Mansfield Town 3.

Scorers: Bevis Mugabi (1-0, 17 mins), Lee Angol (1-1, 48 mins), Francois Zoko (2-1, 57 mins, pen), Kane Hemmings (2-2, 69 mins, pen), Lee Angol (2-3, 76 mins)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Kryiak
5. Bevis Mugabi 27. Shaun Donnellan 17. Omar Sowunmi 23. Tom James
15. Jordan Green 6. Lewis Wing 8. Connor Smith 7. Otis Khan
18. Alex Fisher 13. Francois Zoko (Capt)

25. Steve Phillips 3. Nathan Smith 4. Jared Bird (79 mins for Connor Smith) 9. Rhys Browne (63 mins for Jordan Green) 14. Sam Surridge (66 mins for Alex Fisher) 20. Oscar Gobern 21. Ryan Seager

Mansfield Town:
1 Conrad Logan
4 Paul Digby 2 Rhys Bennett 5 Krystian Pearce 3 Malvind Benning
17 Alfie Potter 8 Jacob Mellis 11 Will Atkinson 7 Alexander MacDonald
23 Kane Hemmings 32 Danny Rose

9 Lee Angol (46 mins for Will Atkinson) 12 Robert Olejnik 19 Johnny Hunt 22 Christopher Hamilton (35 mins for Alfie Potter) 25 Adam King (90 mins for Paul Digby) 26 Joel Byrom 29 Jordan Graham

Yeovil Bookings: Alex Fisher (foul, 8 mins), Sam Surridge (foul, 67 mins), Omar Sowunmi (foul, 85 mins). Red Card: Omar Sowunmi (second bookable offence, 90 mins)

Mansfield Town Bookings: Alex MacDonald (foul, 26 mins), Malvind Benning (foul, 55 mins), Krystian Pearce (dissent, 57 mins), Lee Angol (foul, 90 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 49%; Shots: 18; Shots On Target: 6; Corners: 11; Fouls: 12.

Mansfield Town Match Statistics: Possession: 51%; Shots: 13; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 6; Fouls: 18.

Referee: Charles Breakspear (Surrey). Assistants: Michael Webb (County Durham) and Simon Shaw (Gloucestershire). Fourth Official: Samuel Ogles (Hampshire).

Attendance: 3,500 (with 338 Mansfield Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape