Match Details: Barnet v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Barnet v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 21/10/2017
Barnet 1-1 Yeovil Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Otis Khan (81)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 3. Nathan Smith, 5. Bevis Mugabi, 7. Otis Khan, 8. Connor Smith, 10. Jake Gray, 11. Ryan Dickson, 13. Francois Zoko, 16. James Bailey, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 24. Olufela Olomola,
Subs: 4. Matt Worthington, 9. Rhys Browne, 12. Jonny Maddison, 14. Sam Surridge, 23. Tom James, 25. Sid Nelson, 30. Alefe Santos

Substitutes Used: Tom James for Ryan Dickson (46 mins), Rhys Browne for Connor Smith (64 mins), Sam Surridge for Olufela Olomola (79 mins)

Bookings: Omar Sowunmi (Foul, 52), Tom James (Foul, 60), Otis Khan (Foul, 85)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town came from behind to rescue a point against Barnet at the Hive Stadium today. Trailing from the 6th minute, after Simeon Akinola curled in a shot from the edge of the box, they struggled to get a foothold in the match during a first period where they were playing into the wind. Not too surprisingly, they found the conditions more comfortable after the break, but the closest they came was when Nathan Smith struck the crossbar unintentionally from a wind-assisted cross. However, with nine minutes remaining, Otis Khan latched onto a defence-splitting pass to fire home the equalising goal and send Yeovil home with a 1-1 draw.

The Glovers went into the match making two changes from their line-up that had lost at Cambridge United. In came Connor Smith for Rhys Browne, meaning that a 4-3-3 was employed for the start of the fixture. The other change saw Francois Zoko return from suspension, displacing Sam Surridge. In terms of the bench, the extra man meant Keston Davies dropped out of the squad entirely. Barnet's line-up saw six players missing through long term injuries, including last season's top goalscorer John Akinde, but despite those gaps, former loanee Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro could only get as far as their bench.

The Glovers played against the wind during the first half, and they got a warning of what to expect early on, when Simeon Akinola curled an effort from the edge of the box that saw Artur make a flying save to his left to beat the ball away. Unfortunately, they didn't heed the warning sign. two minutes later the same player got into the same area of the pitch, and this time he hit his shot with a little more loop on it, and it flew past Krysiak for a 6th minute 1-0 scoreline.

Barnet held the upper hand, with Ryan Dickson superbly cutting out one low cross into the box to stop it going near the back post. By contrast, Yeovil's attacking players struggled to get near the ball, not helped by several early balls being lumped up into the air, meaning that in the high winds, they never reached their destination. Otis Khan managed to create Yeovil's best two efforts of the first half - the first saw him cut in from the left flank and produce a shot that was parried away, and then set up the delivery of a free kick that saw Olufela Olomola produce an excellent first time volley, that unfortunately cleared the crossbar.

There were a couple of nasty moments during the first half. One came when Connor Smith grappled with Mauro Vilhete on the edge of the box. It looked like a fifty-fifty incident, but as soon as referee Andy Woolmer blew for it in Barnet's favour, it caused concerns - thankfully it was awarded an inch or two outside the box. There was then a second moment involving Vilhete, as he tried to head the ball towards goal from close range as it bounced dangerously inside the box. Krysiak just got his finger tips on it to turn it over the bar.

Tom James appeared for the second half, replacing Ryan Dickson at the back, whilst Barnet brought on Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro for Shaquile Coulthirst, who had suffered an injury in the lead-up to half time - one of two Bees players to need lengthy treatment. Akpa Akpro then joined his teammates in needing treatment when he collided with Omar Sowunmi and then the advertising boards, in a nasty looking incident close to the touchline - fortunately both players were able to continue.

This created a bit of a stop-start affair to the game - not helped by referee Andy Woolmer twice denying the Glovers an advantage to pull the game back for a free kick in their favour. Yeovil weren't creating a lot of chances, until Nathan Smith almost scored with an unintentional effort - his 40 yard deep cross came back off the crossbar as it got caught in the wind, which made you wonder why Yeovil hadn't tried to make more of the second half conditions. Olufela had the best intentional effort, but was perhaps a bit tentative in the way he approached a narrow angle one-v-one with keeper Craig Ross. His shot was palmed by the keeper, which took the pace off it enough to allow Michael Nelson a chance to clear off the line.

They changed personnel and formations when Rhys Browne came on for Connor Smith, and then made their final gamble when Sam Surridge replaced Olufela Olomola. Within two minutes of his introduction, Surridge produced the first bit of true Glovers quality of the game - a beautiful defence splitting pass that freed up Otis Khan on the left flank. He cut inside and towards goal, and then shot across Craig Ross's goal for an 81st minute equaliser.

Thereafter, Yeovil could have won the game, as they finished the remaining nine minutes and the extra six from injury time on top in the game for the first time. With the tempo raised, Barnet looked a little panicked, and they almost lost the game entirely when substitute Rhys Browne raced into the box, under pressure from Charlie Clough. The Barnet defender lifted out a leg, and Browne went over it, but referee Andy Woolmer decided not to get involved, despite loud appeals from away fans who had a full view of the incident. It was not to be, and instead both teams went home with only a point to their name - a result that probably neither team really wanted in the end.

Link: 2017-18 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Barnet 1 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Simeon Akinola (1-0, 6 mins), Otis Khan (1-1, 81 mins)

21 Craig Ross
5 Ricardo Santo 6 Michael Nelson 4 Charlie Clough
20 Mauro Vilhete 12 Jack Taylor 18 Wesley Fonguck 13 David Tutonda
10 Jamal Campbell-Ryce
11 Shaquile Coulthirst 14 Simeon Akinola

16 Harry Taylor 19 Fumnaya Shomotun 24 Andre Blackman 25 Jean-Louis Akpro (46 mins for Shaquile Coulthirst) 27 Ephron Mason-Clark (85 mins for Simeon Akinola) 30 Justin Amaluzor (87 mins for Jamal Campbell-Ryce) 34 Renell McKenzie-Lyle

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
5. Bevis Mugabi 17. Omar Sowunmi 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson
10. Jake Gray 16. James Bailey (Capt) 8. Connor Smith
24. Olufela Olomola 13. Francois Zoko 7. Otis Khan

12. Jonny Maddison 4. Matt Worthington 9. Rhys Browne (64 mins for Connor Smith) 14. Sam Surridge (79 mins for Olufela Olomola) 23. Tom James (46 mins for Ryan Dickson) 25. Sid Nelson 30. Alefe Santos

Barnet Bookings: David Tutonda (foul, 82 mins), Jean Louis Akpa Akpro (foul, 90 mins)

Yeovil Bookings: Omar Sowunmi (foul, 52 mins), Tom James (foul, 60 mins), Otis Khan (foul, 85 mins)

Barnet Match Statistics: Possession: 58%; Shots: 6; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 7; Fouls: 9.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 42%; Shots: 8; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 4; Fouls: 16.

Referee: Andy Woolmer (Northamptonshire). Assistants: Daniel Robathan (Bedfordshire) and Darren Blunden (Kent). Fourth Official: Stuart Butler (Kent).

Attendance: 1,751 (with 273 Yeovil Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape