Match Details: Yeovil Town v Colchester United
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Colchester United

Match Details: 30/09/2017
Yeovil Town 0-1 Colchester United
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 4. Matt Worthington, 7. Otis Khan, 10. Jake Gray, 11. Ryan Dickson, 13. Francois Zoko, 16. James Bailey, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 23. Tom James, 24. Olufela Olomola, 25. Sid Nelson,
Subs: 6. Keston Davies, 8. Connor Smith, 9. Rhys Browne, 12. Jonny Maddison, 14. Sam Surridge, 15. Jordan Green, 30. Alefe Santos

Substitutes Used: Jordan Green for Jake Gray (53 mins), Sam Surridge for Olufela Olomola (66 mins), Rhys Browne for Francois Zoko (75 mins)

Bookings: Francois Zoko (Foul, 68)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town slipped to their first home defeat of the 2017-18 season this afternoon, after a single goal from Sean Murray sunk them at Huish Park. In a game of few chances, it was Murray's bit of genuine quality just before the break as he interchanged passes through the field before finishing off the move that he'd started for a 0-1 scoreline. Whilst the Glovers started reasonably well, their participation in the second period produced next to nothing and made it very easy for the Essex side to control the game and take all three points.

The Glovers went into the match making one enforced change to their line-up. Nathan Smith was deemed to have picked up five bookings already this season, according to the Football Association's figures, and that meant that he was replaced by Omar Sowunmi, who was getting his first game time since the August match at Forest Green. Colchester's line-up contained three former Glovers loanees, with Sam Walker and Ryan Inniss starting and Rene Gilmartin on the bench.

The first half was one of few chances, as the defences mainly dominated. A wayward shot by Kyel Reid opened proceedings, before Jake Gray's strong move down the right flank set up Omar Sowunmi, with the Southampton loanee's shot being deflected over the bar for a corner. Then Gray set up Otis Khan, but he shot wide of the target. Yeovil even had the ball in the back of the net midway through the half, when Olomola fired home from a free kick, but Omar Sowunmi was penalised for having his hands on an opposition player's back as he won the ball inside the box.

At the other end, Tom James had to be alert to position himself well on the goalline as Brandon Hanlan's header went past Krysiak, but not past the Yeovil right-back, with the ball staying out, off the line. Hanlan almost connected with a Ryan Jackson cross, but could only flick the ball wide. Those chances for the visitors should have made the Yeovil defence more alert than they were when the Essex side got the opening goal of the game. Sean Murray interchanged passes with his teammates several times, with Kyel Reid laying the ball off to him on the edge of the box, and as the Yeovil defence stopped and admired the accuracy of the passing, Murray fired home from the edge of the box for a 0-1 half time lead, crucially scored just two minutes before the break.

Yeovil had threatened to immediately respond to that goal, as Francis Zoko's shot was deflected over the bar, after Jake Gray had put him through, whilst Sid Nelson had an excellent chance from the resultant Otis Khan corner, only to flick his header wide of the goalpost. But in the second period it was hard to tell exactly what the Glovers were trying to do, as Colchester calmly controlled the shape of the game, and on occassions also controlled possession.

This was an inert second period with neither side managing a single shot on target. That was fine for Colchester, but bad news for Yeovil. They tried substitutions as Jordan Green came on early in the second period, initially as a right-winger, but later pushed up front when Francois Zoko was replaced by Rhys Browne. But misplaced passes and an increasingly restless crowd played into Colchester's hands and at times the worry was that the visitors would get the second goal as they began to catch Yeovil on the counterattack. The Glovers contributed almost nothing in an attacking sense, which of course meant that they came out with nothing. Down to 17th, the quality of play is unlikely to bring back the missing fans as another poor crowd of just over 2,500 witnessed a lifeless second half.

Link: 2017-18 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Colchester United 1.

Scorers: Sean Murray (0-1, 43 mins)

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
23. Tom James 25. Sid Nelson 17. Omar Sowunmi 11. Ryan Dickson
10. Jake Gray 16. James Bailey (Capt) 4. Matt Worthington 7. Otis Khan
13. Francois Zoko 24. Olufela Olomola

12. Jonny Maddison 6. Keston Davies 8. Connor Smith 9. Rhys Browne (75 mins for Francois Zoko) 14. Sam Surridge (66 mins for Olufela Olomola) 15. Jordan Green (53 mins for Jake Gray) 30. Alefe Santos

Colchester United:
1 Sam Walker
2 Ryan Jackson 26 Ryan Inniss 6 Frankie Kent 22 Kane Vincent-Young
8 Doug Loft 17 Kyel Reid 16 Sean Murray
7 Drey Wright 19 Mikael Mandron 21 Brandon Hanlan

4 Tom Lapslie 12 Cole Kpekawa 14 Brandon Comley (69 mins for Doug Loft) 15 Nicke Kabamba 27 Sanmi Odelusi 28 Kurtis Guthrie (90 mins for Brandon Hanlan) 29 Rene Gilmartin

Yeovil Bookings: Francois Zoko (foul, 68 mins)

Colchester United Bookings: None.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 44%; Shots: 7; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 5; Fouls: 9.

Colchester United Match Statistics: Possession: 56%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 6; Fouls: 11.

Referee: Antony Coggins (Oxfordshire). Assistants: Justin Amey (Dorset) and Christopher Wade (Hampshire). Fourth Official: Ben Cobb (Dorset).

Attendance: 2,556 (with 152 Colchester United supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape