Match Details: Barnet v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Barnet v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 15/03/2017
Barnet 2-2 Yeovil Town
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals: Ben Whitfield (14), Liam Shephard (90)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Liam Shephard, 4. Matthew Dolan, 5. Alex Lacey, 6. Bevis Mugabi, 7. Kevin Dawson, 9. Tom Eaves, 11. Ryan Dickson, 13. Francois Zoko, 16. Matt Butcher, 28. Ben Whitfield,
Subs: 12. Jonny Maddison, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 19. Brandon Goodship, 22. Ollie Bassett, 24. Owain Jones, 32. Tom James, 39. Shayon Harrison

Substitutes Used: Shayon Harrison for Tom Eaves (78 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained a last gasp second half injury time equaliser tonight at The Hive Stadium, as they came home with a 2-2 draw against Barnet. The unexpected saviour was Swansea City loanee Liam Shephard who scored his first goal for the club in three loan spells when he fired home from close range 91 minutes into the match. That stopped Barnet from getting their first win in six matches, after they overturned an early Ben Whitfield ricochet after he charged down home keeper Benji Buchel's clearance. The home side levelled through a Michael Nelson header (with the hint of a Yeovil player's deflection), and looked to have won the game when Ryan Watson's freak 40 yard free kick sailed through the pack and into the net. But Shephard stopped the Bees in their tracks, giving Yeovil a share of the points on the night.

The Glovers went into the match making just one change to their starting line-up and it was the obvious one. Alex Lawless had limped out of the match at Morecambe with a hamstring problem, and in his place Matt Butcher had produced a stunning entrance at the Globe Arena so he was the obvious replacement. Jean-Louis Akpa Akpro was barred from facing his parent club, meaning that Owain Jones came onto the bench, whilst Brandon Goodship had recovered from a foot injury.

Barnet started off impressively, and managed to get the ball in the back of the net early on when they threaded a pass that split the Yeovil back four in two. Unfortunately for them, whilst that was a well timed pass, the ball that went across the six yard line wasn't quite so good, as it caught John Akinde in an offside position as he tapped the ball into the net. At the other end, Tom Eaves found Yeovil's first shot saved by Benji Buchel's legs and out for a corner, after Francois Zoko set him up.

The opening goal of the night came out of a defensive error, as Charlie Clough's backpass to Benji Buchel was under hit and rather suicidal. Credit though to Ben Whitfield, who chased the ball down, put pressure on the goalkeeper, and ensured that he got the ricochet as the goalkeeper attempted to clear his lines, blocking the ball and ensuring it went into the net for a 1-0 Yeovil lead.

On the whole though, Barnet looked a useful side, particularly when they were able to get their wide players running at Yeovil's full backs and trying to get to the byline. Ryan Watson saw a long range shot palmed away by Artur Krysiak as the home side applied pressure, although at the other end Kevin Dawson went close with one of those driven shots that ripples the side netting leaving that split second where it looked as though it had hit the inside of the net - sadly it was the outside.

After John Akinde had flicked a header wide, Barnet managed to draw level on the half hour mark. Most of the home side's corners had been dangerous, and the one delivered from the left proved to be particularly so as it was swung in at the near post, with Michael Nelson judged to have got a decisive header in to claim the equaliser, even if there appeared to be some suggestions that it had come off Tom Eaves on the way into the back of the net.

Whilst the second half had been lively and end to end, the second period tended to disappear into a bit of a lull, with not too many chances falling to either side - a volley from Kevin Dawson that went wide was one of the few to fall to either side. At the other end, Barnet had large appeals for a penalty when David Tutonda went down in the box following a double challenge by Bevis Mugabi, with the likely interpretation being that the defender's position from his first challenge meant that he couldn't get out of the way of the home player.

Yeovil introduced Shayon Harrison with 13 minutes remaining to try to inject some life into their forward line for the second period. However, the game still needed a spark, with the flow of the game not helped by lengthy treatment to Simeon Akinola, who was stretchered off with five minutes remaining with it looking as though he'd suffered a back injury.

With five minutes remaining and the game apparently drifting to a 1-1 draw, Barnet took an unexpected lead through a bit of a freak goal. Ryan Watson's free kick was taken around 40-45 yards out wide on the left side, and there was little doubt that his intention was to find a Barnet head or foot somewhere inside the box. However, the ball floated straight through the pack of players, missed everyone and continued right into the far right-hand corner and off the inside the post and into the net, for an improbable 2-1 lead.

Yeovil weren't quite done though. Last season at The Hive they produced a 90th minute goal to win the match for the Glovers. This time around they managed to grab a draw. Liam Shephard had never scored for the Glovers in his previous 62 appearances, and he helped to create and then finish his own goal. Playing the ball up the flank, he switched play to Ben Whitfield on the left hand side, and when Whitfield delivered a low cross into the box, there was the unexpected face of Shephard on the six yard line able to sweep the ball home for a 2-2 draw, leaving Barnet with little time to mount any further attacks, and to give Yeovil a point to take home with them.

Link: 2016-17 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Barnet 2 Yeovil Town 2.

Scorers: Ben Whitfield (14 mins, 0-1), Michael Nelson (30 mins, 1-1), Ryan Watson (85 mins, 2-1), Liam Shephard (90 mins, 2-2)

43 Benji Buchel
41 Charlie Clough 6 Michael Nelson 4 Bira Dembele 40 David Tutonda
32 Mauro Vilhete 20 Tom Champion 7 Ryan Watson 13 Jamal Campbell-Ryce
14 Simeon Akinola 9 John Akinde

3 Elliot Johnson (87 mins for David Tutonda) 11 Ruben Bover 16 Harry Taylor 17 Luke Coulson (84 mins for Simeon Akinola) 29 Shane Cojocarel 30 Justin Amaluzor (71 mins for Jamal Campbell-Ryce) 31 Kai McKenzie-Lyle

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
2. Liam Shephard 6. Bevis Mugabi 5. Alex Lacey 11. Ryan Dickson (Capt)
7. Kevin Dawson 16. Matt Butcher 4. Matt Dolan 28. Ben Whitfield
9. Tom Eaves 13. Francois Zoko

Substitutes: 12. Johnny Maddison 17. Omar Sowunmi 19. Brandon Goodship 22. Ollie Bassett 24. Owain Jones 32. Tom James 39. Shayon Harrison (78 mins for Tom Eaves)

Barnet Bookings: None.

Yeovil Bookings: None.

Barnet Match Statistics: Possession: 55%; Shots: 15; Shots On Target: 6; Corners: 6; Fouls: 6.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 45%; Shots: 12; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 6; Fouls: 16.

Referee: Stephen Martin (Staffordshire). Assistants: Ian Cooper (Kent) and Darren Blunden (Kent). Fourth Official: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire).

Attendance: 1,525 (with 184 Yeovil Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape