Match Details: Yeovil Town v Exeter City
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Exeter City

Match Details: 26/12/2016
Yeovil Town 0-0 Exeter City
EFL League Two

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Artur Krysiak, 2. Liam Shephard, 3. Nathan Smith, 6. Alex Lacey, 7. Kevin Dawson, 8. Alex Lawless, 9. Tom Eaves, 10. Otis Khan, 11. Ryan Dickson, 23. Ryan Hedges, 28. Ben Whitfield
Subs: 5. Bevis Mugabi, 12. Jonny Maddison, 13. Francois Zoko, 14. Josh Ezewele, 16. Matt Butcher, 17. Omar Sowunmi, 19. Tahvon Campbell,

Substitutes Used: Matt Butcher for Ryan Hedges (10 mins), Francois Zoko for Ben Whitfield (77 mins)

Bookings: Kevin Dawson (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 44), Matt Butcher (Foul, 75), Nathan Smith (Foul, 79), Tom Eaves (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town ground out a 0-0 draw with Exeter City at Huish Park this afternoon, as they struggled to create clear-cut chances during the majority of the 90 minutes. Whilst the Grecians forced Artur Krysiak into a number of saves through Ollie Watkins and David Wheeler, Yeovil's best chance by far came midway through the second period when a Tom Eaves header came off the crossbar, but in actual shots to make Exeter keeper Christie Pym work for his money, these were few and far between, leaving the Glovers in 13th place after the day's scores.

The Glovers went into the match making three changes to their starting line-up. All three were tactical, as the Glovers headed back to the side that had beaten Crawley Town 5-0 three matches ago. Otis Khan and Tom Eaves cane in for Tahvon Campbell and Francois Zoko, whilst in midfield Ben Whitfield came in for Matt Butcher. In the Grecians line-up Reuben Reid started whilst on the bench Joel Grant was available to come on.

The first half saw the Glovers start brightly across the opening 15 minutes, albeit without creating too much themselves. It started with a typical Boxing Day bit of feisty tackling with Troy Brown deservedly going into the book for taking out Ryan Hedges. Unfortunately after a few minutes it became clear that the Yeovil wide man's ankle wasn't going to survive that tackle and he had to retire early, replaced by Matt Butcher, with Ben Whitfield being pushed higher up the pitch.

Chances for either side were few and far between, with Reuben Reid firing well wide of the target for the first effort of any kind. Then came Yeovil's only true first half effort as Nathan Smith glanced a header wide of the target from a corner. City weren't exactly pressurising themselves, with a Reid shot blocked by Alex Lacey, with the same defender doing the same from an Ollie Watkins effort. Artur Krysiak's only true contribution to the half came when Reid did finally give Lacey the slip, with the keeper coming off his line to rescue the situation. Inside six minutes of injury time - extended to eight after one fan in the crowd 'blew for half time' using his own whistle - Watkins fired over the bar, completing a half in which neither keeper had to make a save.

The second half didn't change that pattern too much, as defenders got in the way of shots - a Ben Whitfield attempt span out for a corner off a defender's leg. Then there was a big shout from the crowd for a penalty as the ball pinged off the arm of Jordan Moore-Taylor - a clear handball, but presumably referee Tim Robinson saw it as more of a ricochet than one of true intent.

Then came Yeovil's killer chance - by far the best they had all game as Ryan Dickson's cross into the box saw the ball loop off the head of Tom Eaves, past Christie Pym, but off the crossbar and back out. Eaves had a frustrating half at times, with the linesman's offside flag and a few fouls stopping some of his work, but the Match Sponsors presumably had it in mind that he was the Yeovil player that went closest to breaking the deadlock when they awarded him the player of the day.

At the other end, Exeter's counter-attacking showed why they have an impressive away record. The Glovers had most of the territory, but in truth the Grecians had more of the shots. Substitute Liam McAllinden almost scored with his first shot as he forced Krysiak to save low down. Lee Holmes shot wide, followed by McAllinden again being denied by Krysiak at his near post. At the other end, Tom Eaves got the ball in the net, but in a manner that suggested he knew the offside flag had frustrated him again. That was probably about as close as either side went in the closing stages, with the only notable thing being that referee Tim Robinson managed to somehow clock up six bookings in a match where really only that opening tackle by Brown had been truly unreasonable. The goalless draw was probably a fair one, and leaves the Glovers five points off the play-offs, but in a solid mid-table position.

Link: 2016-17 Latest League Two Table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Exeter City 0.

Scorers: None.

Yeovil Town:
1. Artur Krysiak
2. Liam Shephard 6. Alex Lacey 3. Nathan Smith 11. Ryan Dickson (Capt)
7. Kevin Dawson 8. Alex Lawless 28. Ben Whitfield
10. Otis Khan 9. Tom Eaves 23. Ryan Hedges

Substitutes: 12. Jonny Maddison 5. Bevis Mugabi 13. Francois Zoko (77 mins for Ben Whitfield) 14. Josh Ezewele 16. Matt Butcher (10 mins for Ryan Hedges) 17. Omar Sowunmi 19. Tahvon Campbell

Exeter City:
30. Christy Pym
28. Jack Stacey 39. Troy Brown 15. Jordan Moore-Taylor 3. Craig Woodman
11. David Wheeler 4. Lloyd James 25. Jake Taylor 10. Lee Holmes
14. Ollie Watkins 33. Reuben Reid

1. Robert Olejnik 6. Jordan Tillson 7. Ryan Harley (50 mins for Craig Woodman) 12. Joel Grant (77 mins for Lee Holmes) 16. Matt Oakley 19. Liam McAlinden (61 mins for Reuben Reid) 23. Connor Riley-Lowe

Yeovil Bookings: Kevin Dawson (kicking ball away, 44 mins), Matt Butcher (foul, 75 mins), Nathan Smith (foul, 79 mins), Tom Eaves (foul, 90 mins)

Exeter City Bookings: Troy Brown (foul, 2 mins), Liam McAlinden (foul, 67 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 59%; Shots: 5; Shots On Target: 0; Corners: 7; Fouls: 16.

Exeter City Match Statistics: Possession: 41%; Shots: 9; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 3; Fouls: 12.

Referee: Tim Robinson (West Sussex). Assistants: Ian Cooper (Kent) and David Avent (Northamptonshire). Fourth Official: Adam Bromley (Devon).

Attendance: 6,086 (with 1,359 Exeter City supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape