Match Details: Colchester United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Colchester United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 17/03/2015
Colchester United 2-0 Yeovil Town
Skybet League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Joe Edwards, 9. James Hayter, 11. Sam Foley, 17. Joel Grant, 21. Scott Loach, 25. Gozie Ugwu, 26. Stephen Arthurworrey, 27. Byron Webster, 32. Liam Shephard, 35. Stephen Kingsley
Subs: 10. AJ Leitch-Smith, 12. Artur Krysiak, 13. Kieffer Moore, 14. Sam Hoskins, 15. Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi, 24. Craig Eastmond, 31. Adam Morgan,

Substitutes Used: AJ Leitch-Smith for Stephen Kingsley (52 mins), Adam Morgan for Joel Grant (71 mins), Craig Eastmond for Joe Edwards (83 mins)

Bookings: Joe Edwards (Foul, 82)

Match Report:

Two goals in four minutes condemned Yeovil Town to their third consecutive defeat on Tuesday night, as Colchester United gained 2-0 win that almost certainly condemns the Glovers to League Two football for next season. Despite a promising first half period, a David Fox penalty 54 minutes in set the Essex side on the way after Nathan Smith committed a foul inside the box. Four minutes later, the home side caught Yeovil on the break, with Jacob Murphy catching the Glovers defence short of numbers to kill the game stone dead, and to leave the club nine points adrift of safety, and with eight games remaining the writing is surely on the wall.

Glovers boss Terry Skiverton made two changes to his line-up, with both fairly logical given the club's performance on Saturday at Leyton Orient. Stephen Arthurworrey was recalled to the centre of defence, with Josh Sheehan the loan player to miss out under the matchday rules. Elsewhere, Adam Morgan's early sacrifice at Brisbane Road for James Hayter was repeated again with the Glovers keeping the 4-4-2 that they'd used during the final 60 minutes of that game. Midfielder James Berrett was unavailable due to a calf injury, meaning that he dropped off the bench in favour of Sam Hoskins.

The opening 20 minutes were a cagey affair, almost devoid of any sort of goalscoring chances. Finally the first notable effort on goal came 21 minutes into the match as Gozie Ugwu forced a parried save out of Sam Walker, but James Hayter couldn't dig the ball out properly for the rebound chance. At the other end, Scott Loach had to palm an Alex Gilbey effort for a corner, but in the main the chances were falling to the visitors, with Ugwu seeing another shot saved, whilst a Nathan Smith attempt was blocked for a corner. It wasn't a half to write home about, but compared with Saturday's first half at Brisbane Road, it was a massive improvement.

Swansea's Stephen Kingsley appeared to have picked up a knock early in the second half and he was replaced on the left flank by AJ Leitch-Smith, and the Glovers were still looking comfortable up to that point, but two minutes later the balance of the game began to shift radically. Jacob Murphy had been one of Colchester's more dangerous players and his run into the box saw Nathan Smith push him over, and referee Iain Williamson pointed to the penalty spot. Up stepped David Fox, who fired down the middle and past Scott Loach for the opening goal of the game.

Four minutes later, and matters began to disintegrate badly. Yeovil had forced a corner in their efforts to get back into the game, but confusion between the bench and the players left Nathan Smith badly out of position when the Glovers lost possession of the ball. That allowed Jacob Murphy in acres of space and with no-one covering him as Colchester broke, and he was able to score on the break to double Colchester's lead on 58 minutes, and to entirely change the make-up of the game.

At that point it was as if a light went out on Yeovil Town's efforts in the game, and their willingness to fight back. Alex Gilbey could have put Colchester another goal up when he clipped the outside of the goalpost with a long range shot, whilst the night went from bad to worse when captain Joe Edwards went in for a tackle, only to injure his ankle in the process, in a repeat of the injury that put him out for six matches last month. Slowly limping off, he was replaced by former Colchester midfielder Craig Eastmond, who finally got his debut for the Glovers, but with the game clearly lost.

James Hayter managed to get the ball in the back of the net in the final minute, only for a linesman's flag to deny him a consolation goal, but that was as good as it got. Two late goals for Coventry City and a win for Crawley Town meant the Glovers are now left with a nine point gap between themselves and safety - a gap that is likely to grow over the weekend when Yeovil Town are without a game. Even Terry Skiverton admitted after the game that this season is now over, and with only eight games left, he is almost certainly right.

Final Score: Colchester United 2 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorers: David Fox (1-0, 54 mins, pen), Jacob Murphy (2-0, 58 mins)

Colchester United:
1. Sam Walker
41. Elliott Hewitt 6. Bongani Khumalo 18. Tom Eastman 15. Matthew Briggs
24. George Moncur 38. David Fox 8. Alex Gilbey
25. Jacob Murphy 19. Rhys Healey 37. Dion Sembie-Ferris

2. Alex Wynter 12. Chris Lewington 16. Byron Lawrence 21. Gavin Massey (71 mins for Dion Sembie-Ferris) 23. Kane Vincent-Young 27. Macauley Bonne 42. Chris Porter (75 mins for Rhys Healey)

Yeovil Town:
21. Scott Loach
32. Liam Shephard 27. Byron Webster 26. Stephen Arthurworrey 3. Nathan Smith
17. Joel Grant 11. Sam Foley 4. Joe Edwards (Captain) 35. Stephen Kingsley
25. Gozie Ugwu 9. James Hayter

12. Artur Krysiak 10. AJ Leitch-Smith (52 mins for Stephen Kingsley) 13. Kieffer Moore 14. Sam Hoskins 15. Seth Nana Twumasi 24. Craig Eastmond (83 mins for Joe Edwards) 31. Adam Morgan (71 mins for Joel Grant)

Colchester Bookings:

Yeovil Bookings: Joe Edwards (foul, 82 mins)

Colchester Match Statistics: Possession: 57%; Shots: 6; Shots On Target: 3; Corners: 3; Fouls: 6.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 43%; Shots: 8; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 8; Fouls: 11.

Referee: Iain Williamson (Berkshire). Assistant Referees: Akil Howson (Leicestershire) and Nigel Lugg (Surrey). Fourth Official: Rob Smith (Hertfordshire).

Attendance: 2,336 (with 113 Yeovil Town supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape