Match Details: Yeovil Town v Barnsley
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Barnsley

Match Details: 30/08/2014
Yeovil Town 1-1 Barnsley
Skybet League One

Yeovil Goals: Own Goal (76)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Chris Weale, 3. Nathan Smith, 4. Joe Edwards, 5. Aaron Martin, 6. Jakub Sokolík, 7. Kevin Dawson, 9. James Hayter, 10. AJ Leitch-Smith, 11. Sam Foley, 20. Ben Nugent, 23. Simon Gillett
Subs: 2. Brendan Moloney, 12. Artur Krysiak, 13. Kieffer Moore, 14. Sam Hoskins, 15. Seth Nana Omuri-Twumasi, 16. Nathan Ralph, 21. Calvin Brooks,

Substitutes Used: Kieffer Moore for Simon Gillett (45 mins), Sam Hoskins for James Hayter (66 mins), Nathan Ralph for Kevin Dawson (66 mins)

Bookings: Joe Edwards (Foul, 56), Jakub Sokolík (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained their second consecutive 1-1 home draw this afternoon, but had to rely upon a home town boy to score them the goal their second half play deserved. Once of Birchfield Primary School and Buckler's Mead School, Martin Cranie unwittingly converted a Jakub Sokolik cross into his own net just 14 minutes from time that cancelled out the opening strike from former Plymouth Argyle player Conor Hourihane that had threatened to win the game for the Tykes.

Gary Johnson chose to keep faith with the same group of players for the third game running, with the same starting eleven, and almost the same bench, with the only change being that Seth Nana Twumasi's return from suspension that allowed the Glovers the chance to field a complete seven man bench. It was an end-to-end first half but one in which the visitors looked more streetwise at times, with only Joe Edwards and Simon Gillett in the centre of the park obviously matching their Barnsley counterparts.

The Glovers did have their own share of chances - Sam Foley twice put shots over the bar, whilst AJ Leitch-Smith twice forced keeper Adam Davies into saves that were comfortable, rather than the sort that would truly extend a League One goalkeeper. Barnsley looked more incisive, and they took the lead 27 minutes into the match when former Plymouth Argyle winger Conor Hourihane was allowed too much space to control the ball and tee it up to fire home from 25 yards out for a lead that they took into the break.

Just before half time, Yeovil suffered a blow when Simon Gillett pulled up with a knee injury, and despite attempts to see him through to the break, they were forced into the change, with Kieffer Moore coming on as a substitute, AJ Leitch-Smith switching to a left-wing position, whilst Sam Foley moved into the centre. It was a more positive start to the second period, with Moore, Leitch-Smith and Joe Edwards forcing Adam Davies into early saves. But the Barnsley keeper mopping up those chances a bit too easily, with none of Yeovil's attackers looking as though they could make the breakthrough in truth.

A 66th minute substitution saw more formation changes as Sam Hoskins was put on as a striker, with Nathan Ralph coming on as a left-winger, that allowed AJ Leitch-Smith to move across to the right wing, as James Hayter and Kevin Dawson made way. Ten minutes later, the Glovers drew level, with a slight bit of fortune attached to it - Jakub Sokolik's cross into the box came off Barnsley centre-back Martin Cranie, and the Yeovil-born player had the misfortune to score his first ever goal for the Glovers - doubtless with family and friends out in force to tell him about it after the game.

Thereafter the match was almost one-way traffic. Barnsley tried to slow down play, with goalkeeper Adam Davies the biggest exponent of that, as he went down a couple of times for 'treatment' he clearly didn't need, whilst the Yeovil attackers put late pressure on his goal. Leitch-Smith fired just wide, Sam Foley had a strong run that ended with a shot deflected for a corner, which then saw Kieffer Moore head at Davies.

Moore then had a header cleared off the line by Conor Hourihane, whilst Nathan Ralph almost created a goal as his dangerous cross eluded a couple of outstretched boots as it fizzed across the six yard box. Barnsley survived - Yeovil had to settle for the draw, but the final 20 minutes saw them firmly put the Yorkshire side on the back foot, and ensured the visitors were the most relieved when the final whistle blew.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Barnsley 1.

Scorers: Conor Hourihane (27 mins, 0-1), Martin Cranie (76 mins, 1-1, own goal)

Yeovil Town (4-4-2):
1. Chris Weale
6. Jakub Sokolik 5. Aaron Martin 20. Ben Nugent 3. Nathan Smith
7. Kevin Dawson 4. Joe Edwards 23. Simon Gillett 11. Sam Foley
10 AJ Leitch-Smith 9. James Hayter.

12. Artur Krysiak 2. Brendan Moloney 13. Kieffer Moore (45 mins for Simon Gillett) 15. Seth Nana Twumasi 16. Nathan Ralph (66 mins for Kevin Dawson) 14. Sam Hoskins (66 mins for James Hayter) 21. Calvin Brooks

12. Adam Davies
2. Reece Brown 6. Martin Cranie 5. Lewin Nyatanga 3. Joe Dudgeon
7. Keith Treacy 4. Luke Berry 17. Brad Abbott 8. Conor Hourihane
9. Sam Winnall 33. Leroy Lita

1. Ross Turnbull 10. Kane Hemmings (65 mins for Sam Winnall) 11. Dale Jennings (30 mins for Keith Treacy) 14. Paul Digby 15. Jean-Yves Mvoto 29. James Bree 44. Devante Cole (74 mins for Leroy Lita)

Yeovil Bookings: Joe Edwards (foul, 56 mins), Jakub Sokolik (foul, 90 mins)

Barnsley Bookings: Keith Treacy (foul, 13 mins), Conor Hourihane (foul, 62 mins), Devante Cole (foul, 89 mins)

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 57%; Shots: 14; Shots On Target: 8; Corners: 6; Fouls: 10.

Barnsley Match Statistics: Possession: 43%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 6; Fouls: 12.

Referee: Gavin Ward (Surrey). Assistant Referees: Andrew Bennett (Devon) and Kevin Morris (Herefordshire). Fourth Official: Adrian Tranter (Dorset).

Attendance: 3,991 (including 394 Barnsley supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape