Match Details: Southend United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Southend United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 06/08/2013
Southend United 0-1 Yeovil Town
Carling Cup First Round

Yeovil Goals: Kevin Dawson (36)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Marek Stech, 2. Luke Ayling, 4. Joe Edwards, 5. Byron Webster, 7. Kevin Dawson, 11. Michael Ngoo, 14. Sam Hoskins, 18. Alan Tate, 20. Billy Clifford, 21. Liam Davis, 23. Joel Grant
Subs: 6. Dan Seaborne, 8. Ed Upson, 9. James Hayter, 10. Sam Foley, 12. Gareth Stewart, 13. Kieffer Moore, 17. Paddy Madden,

Substitutes Used: Ed Upson for Joe Edwards (63 mins), Paddy Madden for Kevin Dawson (69 mins), Kieffer Moore for Michael Ngoo (82 mins)

Bookings: Byron Webster (Foul, 38), Luke Ayling (Foul, 43), Joel Grant (Foul, 45), Ed Upson (Foul, 78)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town progressed through to the Second Round of the Football League Cup tonight thanks to a single goal from Kevin Dawson. The Irishman took advantage of a Sam Hoskins through ball in the 36th minute to fire across the face of David Bentley's goal and into the back of the net. That was enough to see them progress against their League Two counterparts, in a relatively tight game that saw both sides create chances, but Marek Stech come to the rescue with two excellent saves during the closing minutes.

The Glovers made their progression, despite making five changes to their starting line-up from the weekend fixture at Millwall. Dan Seaborne sat the game out, to allow him extra time to recover from a bruised nose, as Liam Davis came into the back four as a left-back, with Alan Tate shuffling along into the centre. Ed Upson was swapped for Billy Clifford in the centre of midfield, whilst another straight swap saw Sam Foley make way for Joel Grant. Then up front Michael Ngoo and Sam Hoskins formed a partnership as Paddy Madden dropped to the bench and James Hayter dropped out of the squad with Jamie McAllister a new name on the substitutes list.

The Glovers took some time to get going during the first half, perhaps as a result of all of those changes, with the eleven men struggling initially to find some good rhythm. Craig Reid and Jack Payne put in early attempts for Southend, but with both going wide. At the other end, Yeovil gradually began to warm up, with Sam Hoskins forcing the first save of the game from Daniel Bentley, whilst Joel Grant, Joe Edwards and another Hoskins attempt went wide of the target.

Nine minutes before the break, the Glovers took the lead in a half that they were just starting to get a grip in, as Sam Hoskins clocked up his second assist in a row, putting through Kevin Dawson who shot across the face of Daniel Bentley's goal to put Yeovil 1-0 up.

That seemed to crank the game up a notch, and whilst Yeovil gained confidence from the goal, they also picked up three bookings, with the home crowd getting more and more fired up in their efforts to persuade referee Lee Collins to take heavy action for fouls accumulating. Byron Webster and Luke Ayling landed in the book, but it seemed that it was the one committe by Joel Grant that they got the most angsty about, during an extended injury time period where it seemed as though blowing the whistle for everyone to calm down a bit might be the best thing for the match official to do.

The second half saw Michael Ngoo come into the game, as he twice tested the Southend goal, with his strike partner Sam Hoskins also making a strong run that saw him fire just over the bar. The pattern of the game though, started to change when Southend introduced striker Barry Corr for defender Julian Bennett, allowing them the opportunity to switch from the 4-5-1 formation they'd started with into a conventional 4-4-2. With the ex-Swindon man now leading the line matters began to get a little more finely balanced, with further substitutions and a late Southend surge putting the pressure on.

Joel Grant could have sealed the tie at the other end, with a rare breakaway attack, but he put over the bar and Yeovil had to ride five minutes worth of injury time to get over the finish line, with Marek Stech making two superb saves - one from Mark Phillips as he stopped the game being taken into extra time. Instead the Glovers progressed to the next round, where they will wait to see if they can draw out one of the Premier League big guns as their reward for what was a competent, if not memorable performance at Roots Hall tonight.

The North Stand at Southend got a little smokey tonight
The North Stand at Southend got a little smokey tonight.
Photo by Bill Biss.

Final Score: Southend United 0 Yeovil Town 1.

Scorers: Kevin Dawson (0-1, 36 mins)

Southend United:
17. Daniel Bentley 2. John White (Capt) 5. Mark Phillips 6. Luke Prosser 9. Craig Reid 11. Anthony Straker 12. Will Atkinson 15. Don Cowan 16. Conor Clifford 19. Julian Bennett 21. Jack Payne

1. Paul Smith (GK) 3. Ben Coker (71 mins for Don Cowan) 7. Freddy Eastwood 8. Michael Timlin 10. Barry Corr (60 mins for Julian Bennett) 18. Ryan Leonard (58 mins for Jack Payne) 26. Jack Edwards

Yeovil Town (4-4-2):
1. Marek Stech
2. Luke Ayling, 5. Byron Webster (Capt), 18. Alan Tate 21. Liam Davis
7. Kevin Dawson, 20. Billy Clifford, 4. Joe Edwards, 23. Joel Grant
11. Michael Ngoo 14. Sam Hoskins

12. Gareth Stewart 6. Danny Seaborne 8. Ed Upson (63 mins for Joe Edwards) 10. Sam Foley 9. James Hayter, 17. Paddy Madden (69 mins for Kevin Dawson) 13. Kieffer Moore (82 mins for Michael Ngoo)

Southend Bookings: Luke Prosser (foul, 75 mins)

Yeovil Bookings: Byron Webster (foul, 38 mins), Luke Ayling (foul, 43 mins), Joel Grant (foul, 45 mins), Ed Upson (foul, 78 mins)

Southend Match Statistics: Possession: 48%; Shots: 9; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 0; Fouls: 9.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 52%; Shots: 18; Shots On Target: 8; Corners: 7; Fouls: 11.

Referee: Lee Collins (Surrey). Assistants: Dave Bushell (London) and Oleksandr Saliy (Middlesex). Fourth Official: Wade Norcott (Essex).

Attendance: 2,971 (with 162 Yeovil Town fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape