Match Details: Oldham Athletic v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Oldham Athletic v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 16/04/2013
Oldham Athletic 1-0 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Marek Stech, 2. Luke Ayling, 4. Richard Hinds, 5. Byron Webster, 8. Ed Upson, 9. James Hayter, 14. Sam Foley, 17. Paddy Madden, 20. Joe Edwards, 22. Kevin Dawson, 29. Angelo Balanta
Subs: 3. Jamie McAllister, 10. Gavin Williams, 12. Gareth Stewart, 13. Vitalijs Maksimenko, 15. Lewis Young, 16. Nathan Ralph,

Substitutes Used: Gavin Williams for Angelo Balanta (46 mins), Jamie McAllister for Sam Foley (71 mins), Vitalijs Maksimenko for Richard Hinds (72 mins)

Bookings: Gavin Williams (Foul, 68), James Hayter (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 77), Vitalijs Maksimenko (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town succumbed to a single goal defeat on Tuesday, as relegation-threatened Oldham Athletic grabbed the three points that they needed at the expense of the Glovers. That allowed Lee Johnson to win the 'dad vs son' battle at Boundary Park, as a 45th minute Matt Smith goal divided the two sides as he headed home from a corner. That was to come close to end the Glovers hopes of automatic promotion, leaving them five points behind Bournemouth with two games left, making the play-offs the most likely route for any Championship plans the club may harbour.

The Glovers made two changes to the starting line-up that had taken to the field against Stevenage. Dan Burn started his two match suspension, with his place taken by Richard Hinds in a like-for-like swap at the heart of the defence. Meanwhile, Dominic Blizzard was ill, with his place in the side taken by Angelo Balanta, who had also dropped out of Saturday's side due to illness. That meant that there was a shuffle around in midfield, with Balanta taking the right-wing position - Kevin Dawson took up Blizzard's role in the side. In the opposition line-up the familiar names of Jonathan Grounds and Korey Smith were starting, and of course in the dugout was Lee Johnson - the first 'father and son' meeting in the Football League since 1971 sealed with a handshake, a smile and a pose for a larger than usual camera collective.

The game started relatively brightly from a Yeovil point of view - shots for Sam Foley from distance, a Paddy Madden effort from an Angelo Balanta through ball, and one from Balanta himself that flashed across the face of goal. However, these all went wide of the target, with the only early on target effort being Balanta's fairly tame header that goalkeeper Dean Bouzanis easily saved.

At the other end, Oldham were playing with a high tempo, and almost took the lead when Marek Stech over-extended himself by coming for a cross, but being beaten to it by Oldham striker Matt Smith - the header was on its way to goal, but Richard Hinds had anticipated the danger as they he hooked the ball clear as he rushed to his own goal line. Hinds and Smith were then the two key players involved in a big penalty shout, as they grabbled in the box, with Smith going down, leaving the Oldham crowd bellowing for a spot kick, and Lee Johnson showing plenty of animation. Referee Jeremy Simpson waved play-on, with the most likely explanation being that he couldn't decide who had fouled who once the players got into the box.

As the half closed, Oldham began to exert a bit of pressure. Lee Croft was getting plenty of input from down Oldham's right flank and his cross saw Matt Smith head over. Then Croft himself headed over the bar from close range. There was a spot of comedy, as Lee Johnson's youthful enthusiasm got the better of him - catching a ball that had yet to go out of play, leaving referee Simpson having to play a drop ball. You're not meant to be on the field of play any more Lee!

Just as the clock ticked over to first half injury time in a fairly even half, it was the home side who took the lead. Oldham midfielder David Mellor shot on goal from distance, forcing Marek Stech to turn the ball around the post for a corner. Lee Croft took it, and Matt Smith crept in at the near post to head home with almost the last move of the half - a frustrating outcome given that Smith's reputation for doing that has been well known through their FA Cup exploits this season. 1-0 down at half time.

The second half opened with the Glovers apparently edgy, as a fired up Oldham side came out buoyant from their half time lead. Gavin Williams had replaced Angelo Balanta at the break, although he moved into the centre, with Kevin Dawson allowed to go back to his more usual right-wing slot. Gavin struggled to break into the pace of the game, quickly landing in the book for a foul on Croft, and the second period progressed with little in the way of goalmouth incident - Oldham's initial enthusiasm reduced to being content to neutralise the Yeovil play, which they did effectively and with some worrying ease.

With just under 20 minutes remaining, Vitalijs Maksimenko and Jamie McAllister replaced Sam Foley and Richard Hinds, seeing Maksimenko go to centre-back, McAllister to left-back and Joe Edwards to midfield. But not too much changed to threaten the scoreline. There was a long range attempt from Paddy Madden comfortably saved, then in the final five minutes, a Maksimenko header which bounced into the turf but somehow rebounded over the bar. There was just about enough time for a Kevin Dawson cross to land in the box - James Hayter almost prodded in, but an Oldham defender got his body in the way as the ball went out for a corner, and the opportunity was gone.

The final whistle was greeted by a mini pitch invasion by Oldham fans - results elsewhere meant they had pulled five points clear of the drop, although in doing so, Lee Johnson had pretty much ended his father's automatic promotion hopes. No big disaster in the cold light of day, but nonetheless a disappointment given the opportunity that was presented by this game in hand. Now gone, it's far more likely that the play-off semi-finals will represent Yeovil Town's next big match in their fixture calendar.

Final Score: Oldham Athletic 1 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorers: Matt Smith (45 mins, 1-0).

Oldham Athletic:
13. Dean Bouzanis
2. Connor Brown 27. Glenn Belezika 5. Jean-Yves Mvoto 3. Jonathan Grounds
7. Lee Croft 23. Korey Smith 29. David Mellor 10. Robbie Simpson
14. Matt Smith 18. Lee Barnard

1. Alex Cisak 9. Chris Iwelumo 11. Cristian Montano 21. Kirk Millar (78 mins for Matt Smith) 22. Bobby Reid (83 mins for Lee Croft) 26. Carl Winchester 30. Joe Cooper

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Marek Stech
2. Luke Ayling 5. Byron Webster (Capt) 4. Richard Hinds 20. Joe Edwards
14. Sam Foley 22. Kevin Dawson 8. Ed Upson 29. Angelo Balanta
9. James Hayter 17. Paddy Madden

12. Gareth Stewart 3. Jamie McAllister (71 mins for Sam Foley) 10. Gavin Williams (46 mins for Angelo Balanta) 13. Vitalijs Maksimenko (72 mins for Richard Hinds) 15. Lewis Young 16. Nathan Ralph

Oldham Athletic Bookings: Lee Barnard (foul, 36 mins), Bobby Reid (foul, 85 mins), Kirk Millar (foul, 88 mins), Robbie Simpson (off the ball incident, 88 mins).

Yeovil Bookings: Gavin Williams (foul, 68 mins), James Hayter (kicking ball away, 77 mins), Vitalijs Maksimenko (foul, 90 mins)

Oldham Match Statistics: Possession: 51%; Shots: 9; Shots On Target: 5; Corners: 3; Fouls: 18.

Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 49%; Shots: 9; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 5; Fouls: 13.

Referee: Jeremy Simpson (Lancashire). Assistants: Marvyn Amphlett (Worcestershire) and Paul Cook (East Yorkshire). Fourth Official: Jonathan Hunt (Liverpool).

Attendance: 3,888 (with 164 Yeovil fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape