Match Details: Yeovil Town v Wycombe Wanderers
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Wycombe Wanderers

Match Details: 13/09/2011
Yeovil Town 1-0 Wycombe Wanderers
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Ed Upson (8)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Jed Steer, 2. Luke Ayling, 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Paul Huntington, 8. Ed Upson, 9. Steve MacLean, 11. Anthony Edgar, 14. Max Ehmer, 17. Alan O'Brien, 18. Kieran Agard, 20. Paul Wotton,
Subs: 4. Bondz N'Gala, 6. Dominic Blizzard, 12. Abdulai Bell-Baggie, 15. Kerrea Gilbert, 21. Gavin Massey

Substitutes Used: Gavin Massey for Kieran Agard (67 mins), Kerrea Gilbert for Alan O'Brien (79 mins), Dominic Blizzard for Anthony Edgar (84 mins)

Bookings: Luke Ayling (Foul, 18), Paul Wotton (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 72)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town picked up a valuable three points tonight at Huish Park, when a superb Ed Upson strike proved to be the difference between the two sides. Upson's strike came just eight minutes into the match, and will enhance his reputation as a player with an eye for a long range shot - firing home from 30 yards for what proved to be the decisive goal. Steve MacLean also hit the woodwork, and whilst the visitors pushed forward in numbers during the second period, they were unable to force an equalising goal.

The Glovers went into tonight's match making just one change to the starting line-up as Kieran Agard displaced the injured Gavin Williams, who faces a lengthy lay-off with knee ligament damage. The only other changes were to the bench, with Bondz N'Gala making his comeback from a hamstring injury, whilst new loan signing Gavin Massey was put on the bench.

The game started in quiet fashion with neither side creating much in the way of opportunities, which made the 8th minute strike from Ed Upson stand out even more than it would have in any circumstances. Nathan Jones fed Upson with a pass, and the former Ipswich Town player unleashed a superb shot from 30 yards out, easily beating Nikki Bull in the Wanderers goal, who seemed a little slow to see the shot coming. 1-0 up and precisely the start the Glovers needed.

Wycombe looked good in possession, although lacked the cutting edge in the final third that the Glovers posed. One of their best early chances came when striker Elliot Benyon broke through. Jed Steer came out of his box to head clear, but collided with the player - thankfully no serious harm done to Steer in the process.

But the majority of the clear-cut chances were at the other end. A Paul Wotton free kick was semi-blocked by the Wycombe defence, but only as far as Steve MacLean, who latched onto the loose ball by firing against the crossbar. Minutes later, Kieran Agard went close when Nikki Bull spooned his shot on goal, with the ball squirming out for a corner. From that set piece, Ed Upson found visiting full-back Danny Foster in the way, as his shot was blocked on the line by the defender on the goal post. At the other end Joel Grant was Wycombe's best player on show, but had his attempt just before the break slipped inside the post, instead of outside, it would have been somewhat unjust, but perhaps reminded those present how slender the lead was.

The second period saw Wycombe put on a valiant effort to put themselves back into the game, gaining control of midfield early on, although struggling to create any serious scares. One of their best efforts came with 15 minutes remaining, after both sides had made changes. A free kick into the box was met by a flicked touch by Elliot Benyon, and Glovers keeper Jed Steer made a brilliant save to keep the ball out, as he palmed it over the crossbar.

Gavin Massey got his first 23 minutes in a Yeovil Town shirt, replacing Kieran Agard, and he had a couple of moments where he showed why Watford rate him so highly, getting himself into good positions, even if his final shot on both occasions let him down a little. All the same, Wycombe were looking a little toothless, bar Grant and Benyon, and little was shown from former Glover Scott Rendell when he came on as a substitute. In the end, that Ed Upson strike was all that was needed. And very welcome it was - pushing Yeovil up to 16th place in the League One table, and in doing so, pushing their opponents into the bottom four.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Wycombe Wanderers 0.

Scorers: Ed Upson (8 mins, 1-0)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Jed Steer
2. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 14. Max Ehmer 3. Nathan Jones
11. Anthony Edgar 20. Paul Wotton 8. Edward Upson 17. Alan O'Brien
9. Steven MacLean 18. Kieran Agard

4. Bondz N'Gala 6. Dominic Blizzard (84 mins for Anthony Edgar) 12. Abdulai Bell-Baggie 15. Kerrea Gilbert (79 mins for Alan O'Brien) 21. Gavin Massey (67 mins for Kieran Agard)

Wycombe Wanderers:
1. Nikki Bull
2. Danny Foster 16. James Tunnicliffe 6. Leon Johnson 3. Andy Sandell
11. Kevin Betsy 18. Stuart Lewis 22. Scott Donnelly 17. Joel Grant
12. Ben Strevens 23. Elliot Benyon

19. Marvin McCoy 8. Ben Harding 10. Matt Bloomfield (76 mins for Stuart Lewis) 30. Kadeem Harris (70 mins for Kevin Betsy) 9. Scott Rendell (62 mins for Ben Strevens)

Yeovil Bookings: Luke Ayling (18 mins, foul), Paul Wotton (72 mins, timewasting)

Wycombe Bookings: None.

Referee: Oliver Langford (West Midlands). Assistants: Andy Hendley (West Midlands) and Simon Knapp (Bristol). Fourth Official: Adrian Tranter (Dorset).

Attendance: 3,134 (including 167 Wycombe supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape