Match Details: 09/09/2011
Preston North End 4-3 Yeovil Town
npower League One
Yeovil Goals: Anthony Edgar (31), Steve MacLean (64), Steve MacLean (81)
Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Jed Steer, 2. Luke Ayling, 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Paul Huntington, 8. Ed Upson, 9. Steve MacLean, 10. Gavin Williams, 11. Anthony Edgar, 14. Max Ehmer, 17. Alan O'Brien, 20. Paul Wotton,
Subs: 6. Dominic Blizzard, 15. Kerrea Gilbert, 18. Kieran Agard, 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown, 24. Gareth Stewart
Substitutes Used: Kieran Agard for Gavin Williams (15 mins), Kerrea Gilbert for Alan O'Brien (71 mins), Dominic Blizzard for Paul Wotton (78 mins)
Bookings: Steve MacLean (Foul, 42), Max Ehmer (Foul, 45)
[Match Report c/o Press Association feed.]
Neil Mellor struck twice to help Phil Brown's Preston extend their winning streak to four npower League One games with a thrilling 4-3 victory over Yeovil at Deepdale.
Jamie Proctor fired Preston ahead inside five minutes and Barry Nicholson had the Lilywhites back in front after Anthony Edgar had levelled for the Glovers.
Former Liverpool striker Mellor notched his first on 59 minutes and, although Steven MacLean also grabbed a double, the 28-year-old's second strike on 70 minutes proved decisive.
Preston went ahead when Graham Alexander's clever free kick found its way to Proctor who smashed it home.
Yeovil levelled on 31 minutes when Edgar's sweetly-struck volley from 12 yards out squirmed under Iain Turner and into the net.
Preston re-took the lead with Nicholson's goal on 49 minutes and Mellor made it three when his determined run saw him plant a firm header in the top corner.
Yeovil pulled one back on 64 minutes through MacLean's drive, which went through Turner's hands and into the empty net, but Mellor restored the two-goal lead on 70 minutes, making MacLean's 81st minute penalty too little too late.
Final Score: Preston North End 4 Yeovil Town 3.
Scorers: Jamie Proctor (5 mins, 1-0), Anthony Edgar (31 mins, 1-1), Barry Nicholson (49 mins, 2-1), Neil Mellor (59 mins, 3-1), Steven MacLean (64 mins, 3-2), Neil Mellor (70 mins, 4-2), Steve MacLean (81 mins, pen, 4-3)
Preston North End: (4-3-1-2)
21. Iain Turner
3. Conor McLaughlin 5. Clarke Carlisle 12. Brian McLean 17. Paul Parry
22. Graham Alexander 10. Barry Nicholson 8. Paul Coutts
7. Iain Hume
9. Jamie Proctor 33. Neil Mellor
25. Andreas Arestidou (GK) 4. Ian Ashbee (82 mins for Barry Nicholson) 11. Juvhel Tsoumou 15. Adam Barton (90 mins for Paul Coutts) 16. Danny Mayor (76 mins for Iain Hume)
Yeovil Town: (4-4-1-1)
1. Jed Steer
2. Luke Ayling 5. Paul Huntington 14. Max Ehmer 3. Nathan Jones
11. Anthony Edgar 20. Paul Wotton 8. Edward Upson 17. Alan O'Brien
10. Gavin Williams (15)
9. Steven MacLean
24. Gareth Stewart (GK) 6. Dominic Blizzard (78 mins for Paul Wotton) 15. Kerrea Gilbert (71 mins for Alan O'Brien) 18. Kieran Agard (15 mins for Gavin Williams) 19. Curtis Haynes-Brown
Preston Bookings: Paul Parry (53 mins, diving)
Yeovil Bookings: Steve MacLean (42 mins, foul), Max Ehmer (45 mins, foul)
Referee: Carl Boyeson (East Yorkshire). Assistants: Paul Graham (Manchester) and Danny Gratton (Staffordshire). Fourth Official: Steven Copeland (Merseyside).