Match Details: Leyton Orient v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Leyton Orient v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 26/03/2011
Leyton Orient 1-5 Yeovil Town
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Shaun MacDonald (9), Shaun MacDonald (18), Shaun MacDonald (42), Andy Welsh (47), Dean Bowditch (88)

Yeovil Line-Up: 2. Craig Alcock, 5. Paul Huntington, 10. Dean Bowditch, 11. Andy Welsh, 12. Oli Johnson, 13. Stephen Henderson, 14. Max Ehmer, 19. Adam Virgo, 20. Paul Wotton, 24. Shaun MacDonald, 29. Jonathan Obika
Subs: 3. Nathan Jones, 7. Andy Williams, 15. Alex Russell, 16. Ed Upson, 23. Billy Gibson, 25. Danny Fitzsimons, 26. Gareth Stewart,

Substitutes Used: Andy Williams for Oli Johnson (69 mins), Alex Russell for Paul Wotton (87 mins), Ed Upson for Dean Bowditch (89 mins)

Bookings: Paul Wotton (Foul, 44), Andy Welsh (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 47), Max Ehmer (Foul, 53), Adam Virgo (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

A Shaun MacDonald first half hat-trick destroyed Leyton Orient on their home patch this lunchtime, as the Glovers ran riot at Brisbane Road. The on-loan Swansea City midfielder scored all three of Yeovil's opening goals in a tempestuous game that saw Orient play 76 minutes with 10 men as Matthew Spring got his marching orders for a foul on Andy Welsh. Welsh himself landed Yeovil's 4th, with Dean Cox merely getting a consolation for Orient as Dean Bowditch wrapped things up late on in the game.

The match saw Yeovil make three changes to their starting line-up and a starting formation change as Adam Virgo replaced Nathan Smith to play three at the back. Oli Johnson replaced Sam Williams, whilst Paul Wotton's return in midfield was a slight surprise with Andrew Tutte the unlucky man as the sixth loan.

The first half saw a chain of events push the game rapidly into Yeovil's favour, with the Glovers taking the lead as early as the 9th minute. The ball dropped loose for Shaun MacDonald on the edge of the box and he struck a superb volley from 20 yards out that flew in off the post for the opening goal and a 1-0 lead, despite Orient's midfield pairing having looked bright during the early exchanges.

Just 14 minutes into the match came the second early nail in Orient's coffin. Matthew Spring and Andy Welsh flew in on a 50:50 ball, with Welsh coming off the worst. Referee Geoff Eltringham had already produced 12 red cards this season, and he had little hesitation in producing a 13th dismissal, putting the home side down to 10 men with 76 minutes for them to play.

With the extra man and flooding men forward, Yeovil began to dominate the match with Oli Johnson and Jonathan Obika both having chances to extend the lead. But four minutes after the red card, Johnson exchanged an excellent one-two with Shaun MacDonald inside the box, and the midfielder was in behind the Orient defence and able to slot the ball home to double Yeovil's lead.

Orient struggled to deal with tracking the extra man, particularly with Yeovil pretty much playing a three man front line with Oli Johnson tucking in behind the front pairing. A series of late challenges by home players, some of which were worse than Spring's challenge somewhat tied referee Geoff Eltringham in knots, leaving the match official in a bit of a mess, with the home crowd bellowing for blood every time a foul was committed by a Yeovil player.

Three minutes before the break the match was as good as ended, as Shaun MacDonald's cross into the box was blocked by midfielder Stephen Dawson, and referee Geoff Eltringham again put himself at the centre of attention, deciding that the ball had been blocked by Dawson's arm deliberately. MacDonald grabbed the ball, and ensured that he got the match ball by converting a 42nd minute hat-trick and a 3-0 half time lead. The home fans chants of "3-0 to the referee" and "you don't know what you're doing" made it clear where they felt the blame lied for the one-sided game, although there was a lot more to it than that, with Yeovil having dominated the match from the first goal onwards.

Former Glover Terrell Forbes arrived as a half time substitute as Orient switched to three at the back, but any plans they may have had to get back into the game were ended just over a minute into the half. A Jonathan Obika shot was well parried by former Glovers trialist Jamie Jones, but only straight into the path of Andy Welsh. 4-0 up and no way back for the home side.

Inevitably, with the game won, the second period became a rather more leisurely affair, with Yeovil operating in cruise control. The home side did manage to score a soft goal when Dean Cox capitalised upon indecision in the Yeovil box, after an Adam Virgo header had looped up in the air. But that was only likely to be a consolation goal, with Yeovil always looking the more likely to extend their lead, as Jones saved on numerous occasions.

The game was polished off by an act of unselfishness as Jonathan Obika's run saw him square the ball into the path of the unmarked Dean Bowditch and he grabbed his third goal in two games, to pass his tally from last season and to give an impressive looking 5-1 final scoreline.

No doubt that the red card issued early on in the match influenced the magnitude of the scoreline, with Orient often left chasing shadows during the match. But aside from that moment, the Glovers were good value for their win and with Dagenham drawing and Swindon losing in today's matches, they've now given themselves breathing space. A win on Tuesday night against Carlisle United, and they could easily put themselves within touching distance of League One security for next season. Certainly for now, the pressure is off for a change. If there is a down side to today's game, will anyone have noticed Shaun MacDonald's performance?

Link: 2010-11 Latest League One Table

Final Score: Leyton Orient 1 Yeovil Town 5.

Scorers: Shaun MacDonald (9 mins, 0-1), Shaun MacDonald (18 mins, 0-2), Shaun MacDonald (42 mins, 0-3), Andy Welsh (47 mins, 0-4), Dean Cox (70 mins, 1-4), Dean Bowditch (88 mins, 1-5)

Leyton Orient: (4-4-2)
1. Jamie Jones
2. Elliot Omozusi 4. Ben Chorley 30. Adam Barrett 17. Jason Crowe
8. Stephen Dawson 16. Matthew Spring 25. Thomas Carroll 7. Dean Cox
9. Scott McGleish 18. Jonathan Tehoue

12. Lee Butcher (GK) 3. Andrew Whing 6. Terrell Forbes (46 mins for Thomas Carroll) 10. Adam Chambers 11. Alex Revell (72 mins for Jonathan Tehoue) 20. Jimmy Smith (42 mins for Stephen Dawson) 29. Harry Kane

Yeovil Town: (3-5-2)
13. Stephen Henderson
5. Paul Huntington 19. Adam Virgo 14. Max Ehmer
2. Craig Alcock 24. Shaun MacDonald 20. Paul Wotton 11. Andy Welsh
12. Oli Johnson
10. Dean Bowditch 29. Jonathan Obika

26. Gareth Stewart (GK) 3. Nathan Jones 7. Andrew Williams (69 mins for Oli Johnson) 15. Alex Russell (87 mins for Paul Wotton) 16. Ed Upson (89 mins for Dean Bowditch) 23. Billy Gibson 25. Danny Fitzsimons

Orient Bookings: Scott McGleish (33 mins, foul), Jason Crowe (66 mins, foul), Dean Cox (90 mins, foul). Red Card: Matthew Spring (14 mins, serious foul play)
Yeovil Bookings: Paul Wotton (44 mins, foul), Andy Welsh (47 mins, excessive celebration), Max Ehmer (53 mins, unsporting behaviour), Adam Virgo (90 mins, foul)

Referee: Geoff Eltringham (Tyne & Wear). Assistants: John Hopkins (Essex) and Philip Knight (Kent). Fourth Official: Mike Blackledge (Cambridgeshire).

Attendance: 4,258 (including 271 Yeovil fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape