Match Details: Yeovil Town v Tranmere Rovers
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Tranmere Rovers

Match Details: 11/09/2010
Yeovil Town 3-1 Tranmere Rovers
npower League One

Yeovil Goals: Dean Bowditch (7), Andy Welsh (10), Paul Huntington (27)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. John Sullivan, 2. Craig Alcock, 5. Paul Huntington, 6. Nathan Smith, 7. Andy Williams, 10. Dean Bowditch, 11. Andy Welsh, 19. Adam Virgo, 21. Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala, 24. Gavin Williams, 25. Shaun MacDonald
Subs: 4. Stefan Stam, 8. Luke Ayling, 16. Ed Upson, 17. Craig Calver, 18. Luke Freeman, 20. Owain Tudur Jones, 22. Ben Roberts,

Substitutes Used: Luke Freeman for Andy Williams (84 mins), Owain Tudur Jones for Andy Welsh (90 mins), Luke Ayling for Dean Bowditch (90 mins)

Bookings: Nathan Smith (Foul, 65), Luke Freeman (Foul, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town got themselves back on track this afternoon with an emphatic victory at Huish Park. Having been hammered last week at Meadow Lane, they turned the tables by giving Tranmere Rovers a torrid first half, as goals from Dean Bowditch, Andy Welsh and Paul Huntington had the game out of sight with just 27 minutes gone. That was game over and a far less eventful second period saw Tranmere gain a consolation goal through an Ian Thomas-Moore penalty, but there was no time for them to mount any sort of a comeback.

The Glovers made four changes to the starting line-up from the team that got beaten against Notts County last weekend. All four changes were obvious ones. Andy Williams returned following his ankle injury, as did Dean Bowditch following his throat infection. Meanwhile Shaun MacDonald and Gavin Williams were always likely to go straight into the starting line-up following their arrivals on loan at Huish Park. As for the dilemma of which of the seven loans to leave out - that was made easy by both Rob Kiernan and Cameron Stewart carrying knocks.

With the Meadow Lane match having been such a fundamental mauling, getting a good start in the game against Tranmere was imperative, and a stroke of luck got them the early 7th minute break that they needed. Tranmere's attempt at a defensive clearance rebounded off one of their own players directly into the path of Dean Bowditch. If the manner he got the ball was slightly fortuitous, there was nothing lucky about the finish - an early volleyed shot that caught visiting keeper Joe Collister slightly out of position and off his line, and the perfect tonic to lift Yeovil's spirits upwards.

Then it got better. Just four minutes later, Andy Williams pumped in a right-wing cross, and waiting on the end of it was a collector's item - an Andy Welsh header that was perfectly sent across the face of Joe Collister's goal to double Yeovil's lead with only 10 minutes gone.

There was a bit of a lull after that - Tranmere far too shellshocked to make anything for themselves, and Yeovil perhaps patting themselves on the back a bit too much at the dream start that they'd had. But they got a third goal, 27 minutes into the first half, with a slight slice of good fortune giving Paul Huntington his first goal for the Glovers. Dean Bowditch provided the assist, but only by a mis-hit shot that landed in Huntington's path. No-one in green'n'white was likely to complain.

Elsewhere, the Glovers dominated a half that saw Tranmere fail to get a single shot on target. Craig Alcock's cross into the box saw Gavin Williams shoot just over the bar. Andy Williams received a high punt from Adam Virgo which visiting keeper Joe Collister decided not to come for, but Williams sent his header straight at the hesitant keeper. Then Collister saved well from Gavin Williams as he slid in a shot on goal. But anything more than a 3-0 scoreline would have been a touch greedy, and bar the small pocket of Tranmere fans in the corner of the Cowlin Stand, no-one was complaining in the slightest at the break.

The second period opened with Yeovil looking comfortable without breaking too much sweat about it. One of the more notable events of the early play was a double booking for Tranmere at the same time for two separate events, with substitute Joss Labadie getting yellowed for an actual foul in play, but referee Roger East remembering to book Ian Thomas-Moore for an earlier offence that he'd waved an advantage for.

Arnaud Mendy managed Tranmere's first shot on target of the match - a shot that deceived John Sullivan forcing him to parry the ball, and then grab it at the second attempt just before it headed out for a corner. That this came almost 70 minutes into the match spoke volumes about the balance of the game across the afternoon. At the other end, Jean-Paul Kalala fired narrowly over the bar.

Adam Virgo thought he'd grabbed Yeovil Town's fourth goal of the afternoon, when he leapt high to head the ball home from a set piece with 10 minutes remaining, but referee Roger East chalked the goal off due to Virgo climbing on his marker, Ian Goodison, as the ball came across into the box.

As the clock wound down, John Sullivan had to stretch well to block an Enoch Showunmi shot as Tranmere pushed for at least a consolation goal. And they got that when a shirt pull from Nathan Smith on substitute Lucas Akins allowed Ian Thomas-Moore a chance to grab a goal from the spot, just one minute before the 90 minutes was up. Four minutes of injury time didn't change that, and although it was a far quieter second half, this was a highly satisfying three points for the Glovers, and a big psychological boost to lift them out of last week's doldrums and from 23rd up to 14th in what is still an early and volatile League One table.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 3 Tranmere Rovers 1.

Scorers: Dean Bowditch (7 mins, 1-0), Andy Welsh (11 mins, 2-0), Paul Huntington (27 mins, 3-0), Ian Thomas-Moore (89 mins, 3-1).

Yeovil Town: (4-4-1-1)
1. John Sullivan
2. Craig Alcock 5. Paul Huntington 19. Adam Virgo 6. Nathan Smith
7. Andrew Williams 25. Shaun MacDonald 21. Jean-Paul Kalala 11. Andy Welsh
24. Gavin Williams
10. Dean Bowditch


4. Stefan Stam 8. Luke Ayling (90 mins for Dean Bowditch) 16. Edward Upson 17. Craig Calver 18. Luke Freeman (84 mins for Andrew Williams) 20. Owain Tudur Jones (90 mins for Andy Welsh) 22. Ben Roberts (GK)

Tranmere Rovers:
13. Joe Collister
17. Liam Darville 5. Ian Goodison 29. Jermaine Grandison 3. Aaron Cresswell
18. Maximo Blanchard 30. Arnaud Mendy 15. Ryan Fraughan
28. Sammy Morrow 9. Ian Thomas-Moore 7. Enoch Showunmi

23. Andy Coughlin (GK) 24. Zoumana Bakayogo (60 mins for Ryan Fraughan) 25. Joss Labadie (34 mins for Maximo Blanchard) 27. Lucas Akins (54 mins for Sammy Morrow) 14. Nick Wood 21. Dale Jennings 2. Tim Cathalina

Yeovil Bookings: Nathan Smith (65 mins, foul), Luke Freeman (90 mins, unsporting behaviour)

Tranmere Bookings: Arnaud Mendy (33 mins, foul), Joss Labadie (57 mins, foul), Ian Thomas-Moore (57 mins, foul)

Referee: Roger East (Wiltshire). Assistants: Kevin Johnson (Weston-super-Mare) and John O'Brien (Surrey). Fourth Official: Wayne Barratt (Worcestershire).

Attendance: 3,364
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape