Match Details: Stockport County v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Stockport County v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 10/04/2010
Stockport County 1-3 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Dean Bowditch (21), Gavin Williams (32), Gavin Williams (74)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Alex McCarthy, 2. Craig Alcock, 5. Steven Caulker, 6. Terrell Forbes, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 11. Andy Welsh, 14. Dean Bowditch, 20. Gavin Williams, 21. Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala, 25. Shaun MacDonald, 28. Nathan Smith
Subs: 8. Keiran Murtagh, 15. Richard Martin, 16. Scott Murray, 17. Aidan Downes, 19. Luke Ayling, 23. Danny Hutchins,

Substitutes Used: Aidan Downes for Dean Bowditch (68 mins), Keiran Murtagh for Andy Welsh (88 mins), Scott Murray for Gavin Tomlin (90 mins)

Bookings: Terrell Forbes (Foul, 23), Gavin Tomlin (Foul, 25)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town saw hosts Stockport County relegated to League Two this afternoon at Edgeley Park, and in doing so put themselves on the edge of League One safety. A 3-1 win over the Hatters saw Dean Bowditch give Yeovil a first half lead, before two Gavin Williams goals put the match out of sight. A late George Donnelly goal for the home side gave them something to briefly cheer about, but this was no afternoon for celebration for the Cheshire side.

The Glovers went into the game making one tactical switch as Scott Davies dropped entirely out of the matchday squad. In his place came Andy Welsh, who was a like-for-like swap on the left flank. They started with a 4-5-1 formation that frequently varied into a 4-4-1-1 with Gavin Williams given a free role when the Glovers gained possession of the ball.

It was a relatively quiet start to the match with a shot a-piece coming in from distance as Gavin Tomlin forced home keeper Owain fon Williams into a parried save, whilst former Glover David Poole forced the same out of Alex McCarthy. But on a bobbly pitch, both teams struggled to gain control in the centre of the park.

Yeovil's big breakthrough came assist specialist Andy Welsh saw his free kick into the box on 21 minutes only half cleared, Gavin Williams put the ball back into the box and Dean Bowditch hooked the ball home with an excellent first time touch and finish. 1-0 up and exactly what was needed to deflate the home side.

David Poole again tried to hit back immediately for Stockport, but they were undone again 10 minutes later by Yeovil's ability to win the second ball inside the penalty box. A long throw-in into the box was met by the head of Steven Caulker, and when the ball dropped to the edge of the box, Gavin Williams yelled 'MINE!' and indeed it was - his low volley nestling in the back of the net, with both Bowditch and Williams with the two goals showing excellent anticipation to wait for the dropping ball.

Yeovil never really produced outstanding fluent football at any time during the match, but they were doing more than enough to hold County at bay, even if referee Geoff Eltringham seemed to be doing his best to give the home side a helping hand - on a couple of occasions appearing to perform directly to the crowd - never a good sign with a match official. A series of home-friendly decisions were an irritance throughout the match.

Steven Caulker came close to breaking his scoring duck for the club as he headed close to the home keeper's left hand post, with the keeper landing behind his own goal line, leaving the away following shouting somewhat optimistically for a goal. Caulker's wait for his debut goal would have to go on.

Half time came, and the match disappeared into a game of nothingness. County rarely threatened, and Yeovil had little incentive to extend their lead further, having killed off a lot of the home side's early desire.

As it happened, the Glovers still managed to grab a third. Aidan Downes had replaced goalscorer Dean Bowditch midway through the second period, and it was his left-wing cross that allowed Gavin Williams to net his third goal since arriving on loan, from three appearances, with a glancing header. 0-3 and game definitely over now.

Stockport's fans cheered loudly when on 80 minutes they managed their first shot of the second period, littering their chants with gallows humour as they prepared to have their fall into League Two made official. Two minutes later though, they got something to really cheer about as George Donnelly thumped into the roof of the net a ball that Yeovil had allowed to go back across the face of the box. Oddly, Donnelly was substituted straight afterwards.

Five minutes injury time took place due to a lengthy injury to Stockport substitute Greg Tansey, who only managed five minutes on the field himself - most of that waiting for a stretcher to arrive. But that lengthy extra time was never likely to worry the Glovers who were in control of the game right from the first goal.

The result lifts Yeovil into 14th place in the League One table and seven points clear of Tranmere Rovers in 21st. It may be too soon to celebrate Yeovil's safety for another season with five games still left to play, but at the moment they are as close as close can be.

Final Score: Stockport County 1 Yeovil Town 3.

Scorers: Dean Bowditch (21 mins, 0-1), Gavin Williams (32 mins, 0-2), Gavin Williams (74 mins, 0-3), George Donnelly (82 mins, 1-3)

Stockport County:
1. Owain Fon Williams 18. Andy Halls 2. Johnny Mullins 24. Danny Swailes 32. Mathew Sadler 15. David Poole 7. James Vincent (62) 25. David Perkins 5. Richie Partridge 36. George Donnelly (84) 10. Jabo Ibehre

13. Paul Gerrard (GK) 4. Paul Turnbull (67 mins for Greg Tansey) 8. Greg Tansey (62 mins for James Vincent) 22. Daniel Rowe (84 mins for George Donnelly) 26. Sam Barnes 37. Steven Murty

Yeovil Town: (4-5-1)
1. Alex McCarthy
2. Craig Alcock 5. Steven Caulker 6. Terrell Forbes 28. Nathan Smith
10. Gavin Tomlin 21. JP Kalala 25. Shaun MacDonald 11. Andy Welsh
20. Gavin Williams
14. Dean Bowditch

15. Richard Martin (GK) 8. Keiran Murtagh (88 mins for Andy Welsh) 16. Scott Murray (90 mins for Gavin Tomlin) 17. Aidan Downes (68 mins for Dean Bowditch) 19. Luke Ayling 23. Danny Hutchins

Stockport Bookings: None.
Yeovil Bookings: Terrell Forbes (23 mins, foul), Gavin Tomlin (25 mins, foul)

Referee: Geoff Eltringham (Tyne and Wear). Assistants: Ian Dudley (Nottinghamshire) and Paul Marsden (Lancashire). Fourth Official: Simon Bennett (Staffordshire).

Attendance: 3,587 (including approx 200 Yeovil fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape