Match Details: Yeovil Town v Milton Keynes Dons
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Milton Keynes Dons

Match Details: 27/02/2010
Yeovil Town 1-0 Milton Keynes Dons
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Shaun MacDonald (23)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Alex McCarthy, 2. Craig Alcock, 5. Steven Caulker, 6. Terrell Forbes, 7. Arron Davies, 9. Sam Williams, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 14. Dean Bowditch, 21. Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala, 25. Shaun MacDonald, 28. Nathan Smith
Subs: 8. Keiran Murtagh, 11. Andy Welsh, 13. Ryan Mason, 15. Richard Martin, 16. Scott Murray, 17. Aidan Downes, 23. Danny Hutchins,

Substitutes Used: Ryan Mason for Dean Bowditch (53 mins), Andy Welsh for Arron Davies (70 mins), Keiran Murtagh for Gavin Tomlin (86 mins)

Bookings: Sam Williams (Foul, 62), Gavin Tomlin (Foul, 81)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained a priceless three points this afternoon as a single goal settled their home match against Milton Keynes Dons. A Shaun MacDonald bullet midway through the first half opened the scoring, and rather like Tuesday night's match against Walsall, that was enough to put the points in the bag and move the Glovers nine points clear of the relegation line. A slightly edgy second period saw the visitors come back into the game a touch, but Yeovil's first half dominance gave them the win they deserved.

The Glovers went into the match making one change to the side, as Owain Tudur Jones found his loan period with the Glovers cut slightly short, with a groin strain ruling him out of the final game of his one month loan deal at Huish Park before he returns to Carrow Road. Arron Davies grabbed a starting slot, on the left wing, allowing Shaun MacDonald to move into a more conventional central midfield position.

The Dons started the game more confidently and at 0-0, they were the more dominant force. Jermaine Easter, operating in an unorthodox left-wing position, broke past Craig Alcock forcing Alex McCarthy to save at his near post with his legs.

Bowditch and MacDonald shots over the bar as Yeovil created a few half chances, and perhaps the MacDonald attempt should have served as a warning sign for the visitors. Midway through the first half, the Glovers took the lead, with Yeovil's first shot on target, with the goal coming out of the blue. An Arron Davies corner was only half-cleared via an MK Dons defensive header, and the ball fell to Shaun MacDonald on the edge of the box. He fired the loose ball into the top right hand corner from the edge of the box for an unstoppable shot and a goal well worth seeing again on the Football League highlights tonight.

If Yeovil had not done too much prior to the opening goal, they certainly did plenty one they had got their noses in front. Gavin Tomlin had a shot blocked in a goalmouth melee, with former Swansea City keeper Willy Gueret eventually getting both hands on the loose ball. Then Arron Davies got space on the edge of the Dons penalty box, with his shot saved by Gueret.

At the other end a rare chance for the Dons saw Andros Townsend receiving a lay-off from Peter Leven from a free-kick with Alex McCarthy parrying the shot away. But this 20 minute spell was otherwise all Yeovil, and Gavin Tomlin's diving header went just wide of the target as they continued to go close to extending their lead. In fact that was the only frustration as half time arrived - that Yeovil's extreme dominance following the opening goal had not been turned into a 2-0 or a 3-0 by the break. Instead, that MacDonald goal was what they had to settle for.

The second period saw Dean Bowditch pull up with what looked like a hamstring strain eight minutes into the half, replaced by Ryan Mason as Yeovil reshuffled with Mason going into the hole in behind Sam Williams in a 4-4-1-1. The Dons, who had been playing with a rather lopsided looking 4-5-1 throughout the first half, finally pushed Jermaine Easter up front into a 4-4-2 and this started to give the visitors a bit more of an attacking edge, and to give the home crowd a spot of nerves, albeit without the Dons significantly testing Glovers keeper Alex McCarthy.

This was a far less fluent second period, with the pitch cutting up badly and the Glovers blocking out throughout much of the half, running the ball into the corner flag on numerous occasions as the clock ran down. With three minutes remaining, Alex McCarthy was forced into a point-blank save from an Andros Townsend shot, as the close-range attempt rebounded off McCarthy's chest. But Yeovil survived, and also edged out the four minutes worth of injury time that extended out the game. Not the prettiest of second halves and really the Glovers should have sealed all three points by half time, but in the end, the only statistic that will matter is the 1-0 victory and the back-to-back wins that have lifted the Glovers nine points clear of the relegation zone and up into the dizzy heights of 12th place in the League One table.

Final Score : Yeovil Town 1 Milton Keynes Dons 0.

Scorers: Shaun MacDonald (23 mins, 1-0)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Alex McCarthy
2. Craig Alcock 5. Steven Caulker 6. Terrell Forbes 28. Nathan Smith
10. Gavin Tomlin 21. Jean-Paul Kalala 25. Shaun MacDonald 7. Arron Davies
9. Sam Williams 14. Dean Bowditch

15. Richard Martin (GK) 8. Keiran Murtagh (86 mins for Gavin Tomlin) 11. Andy Welsh (70 mins for Arron Davies) 13. Ryan Mason (53 mins for Dean Bowditch) 16. Scott Murray 17. Aidan Downes 23. Danny Hutchins

Milton Keynes Dons:
12. Willy Gueret
15. Dan Woodards 5. David McCracken 16. James Tunnicliffe 3. Dean Lewington
35. Andros Townsend 7. Stephen Gleeson 26. Luke Chadwick 22. Peter Leven 8. Jermaine Easter
9. Aaron Wilbraham

2. Jude Stirling 6. Sean O'Hanlon (85 mins Dan Woodards) 13. Mark Carrington 20. Sol Davis 21. Luke Howell 24. Dean Morgan (68 mins for Luke Chadwick) 29. Mark Randall

Yeovil Bookings: Sam Williams (53 mins, foul), Gavin Tomlin (81 mins, foul)
MK Dons Bookings: Stephen Gleeson (31 mins, foul), Peter Leven (37 mins, dissent), Andros Townsend (44 mins, foul), David McCracken (55 mins, foul)

Referee: Graham Salisbury (Lanchashire). Assistants: Andrew Laver (Hampshire) and Lee Swabey (Devon). Fourth Official: Neil Radford (Worcestershire).

Attendance: 3,844
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape