Match Details: Gillingham v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Gillingham v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 24/11/2009
Gillingham 1-0 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Alex McCarthy, 2. Craig Alcock, 4. Stefan Stam, 5. Steven Caulker, 11. Andy Welsh, 13. Ryan Mason, 16. Scott Murray, 21. Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala, 23. Danny Hutchins, 25. Shaun MacDonald, 26. Jonathan Obika,
Subs: 6. Terrell Forbes, 7. George O'Callaghan, 9. Sam Williams, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 14. Dean Bowditch, 15. Richard Martin, 28. Nathan Smith

Substitutes Used: Sam Williams for Scott Murray (24 mins), Dean Bowditch for Andy Welsh (60 mins), Gavin Tomlin for Jonathan Obika (78 mins)

Bookings: Sam Williams (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 45), Stefan Stam (Foul, 63), Dean Bowditch (Foul, 68), Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala (Foul, 71),

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down 1-0 at the Priestfield Stadium tonight, as a single Simeon Jackson penalty was enough to separate the two sides on another blustery and rainy evening. The Glovers misery was completed by a red card for Jean-Paul Kalala after he picked up two bookings in a game that at times threatened to boil over, and despite the Glovers stabilising from a woeful start to the game, they couldn't find a way back.

The Glovers went into the match selecting the exact same starting line-up, substitutes bench and formation as they'd done on Saturday against Charlton Athletic. But despite playing with the wind, they made a fairly poor start to the match as the rain poured down, with Curtis Weston accepting a Mark Bentley knockdown and forcing Alex McCarthy into a save. That early warning turned into a loud ringing alarm bell when Febian Brandy turned in the box ten minutes into the match, and in doing so was sandwiched by a combination of Steven Caulker and Stefan Stam. Referee Pat Miller blew for a penalty and Simeon Jackson calmly converted from the spot.

The opening goal may have come from the penalty spot, but it was certainly no fluke, with Gillingham over-running the Glovers heavily during the first half with chance after chance, with the only positive being that Alex McCarthy carrying on where he left off on Saturday. Simeon Jackson found his shot blocked by the Glovers keeper, and Andy Barcham's drive was palmed away from a corner. Then Brandy hit the crossbar, and in all honesty, Gillingham could have been 5-0 up at that point were it not for the woodwork and McCarthy.

Manager Terry Skiverton rang immediate changes, with Scott Murray being sacrificed for Sam Williams, and the Glovers switching to a 4-4-2 as Mason switched to the right flank. That gave the Glovers a little bit of a burst, but McCarthy was still brought into heavy action as he managed a double save with Simeon Jackson and Andy Barcham denied, with the second save particularly impressive.

Overall though the change of formation worked well for Yeovil in levelling out the game, and giving them a bit more of an edge up front, even if it didn't entirely swing the pendulum the other way. Substitute Williams was putting himself about in the front line and giving Gillingham a bit more of a physical presence to deal with. That was emphasised when he and Josh Gowling got involved in a spot of handbags just before the half time break, with both players landing in the book.

The second half opened with the rain having eased off, but the blustery wind having picked up a notch. That was bad news as Yeovil were playing into the wind for the next 45 minutes, and although Gillingham's dominance of the game was long gone and the home crowd were edgy, the Glovers struggled to create chances, and there was not too much surprise when Dean Bowditch was introduced to the game, resulting in a shuffle around of the front line, as Jonathan Obika went to the right wing, Mason to left wing, with Bowditch hanging just behind Sam Williams.

At the other end, Gillingham hit the woodwork for a second time, as a free kick by Barry Fuller was tipped onto the goalpost by McCarthy for his best save of the night - a reminder that the game could just as easily go 2-0 as 1-1. Yeovil's best chance of the entire game came with just under 20 minutes remaining when a Ryan Mason free kick was flicked on by Steven Caulker and a header from Sam Williams was tipped over the bar for a corner. But that was really as good as it got, with plenty of approach play, but only half chances for the forward line to seize upon.

Terry Skiverton's final throw of the dice was to introduce Gavin Tomlin for Jonathan Obika, but that move went out the window, when Jean-Paul Kalala's tackle on Kevin Maher produced an obvious dismissal for the midfielder, with the midfielder having already been booked earlier in the game, and having been involved in another skirmish. There was little doubt that Gillingham were looking to rough up Kalala and Williams following their yellow cards, and although referee Pat Miller should have been more alert to some of the tactics out there from the home side, the showing of the second yellow was academic, and Kalala will now serve his second suspension of the season next Tuesday against Walsall.

And with that things fizzled out somewhat. The odd set piece gave Yeovil a bit of late hope, but a clear cut chance never really materialised, despite the Glovers switching to a 4-2-3 formation at the end, with Gavin Tomlin joining the front pair in a gamble of extremes. Even so, it needed Danny Hutchins at the other end, to make a flying block to stop Simeon Jackson grabbing his second of the night as he cut out a cross with the Gills catching Yeovil short on the break. All in all, a fair scoreline, and based on the opening 25 minutes of play, it could easily have been more than that.

Link: 2009-10 Latest League One Table.

Final Score: Gillingham 1 Yeovil Town 0.

Scorer: Simeon Jackson (1-0, pen, 10 mins)

Gillingham: (4-4-2)
1. Simon Royce
2. Barry Fuller 16. Josh Gowling 20. Matt Fry 9. Chris Palmer
26. Curtis Weston 8. Mark Bentley 7. Kevin Maher 11. Andy Barcham
10. Simeon Jackson 29. Febian Brandy

23. Alan Julian (GK) 3. John Nutter 4. Stuart Lewis 21. Dennis Oli (90 mins for Febian Brandy) 27. Luke Rooney 28. Jack Payne 30. Mark McCammon

Yeovil Town: (4-4-1-1/4-2-3-1)
1. Alex McCarthy
2. Craig Alcock 4. Stefan Stam 5. Steven Caulker 23. Danny Hutchins
16. Scott Murray 25. Shaun MacDonald 21. Jean-Paul Kalala 11. Andy Welsh
13. Ryan Mason
26. Jonathan Obika

15. Richard Martin (GK) 6. Terrell Forbes 7. George O'Callaghan 9. Sam Williams (24 mins for Scott Murray) 10. Gavin Tomlin 14. Dean Bowditch (60 mins for Andy Welsh) 28. Nathan Smith

Gillingham Bookings: Josh Gowling (45 mins, off the ball incident), Febian Brandy (72 mins, retaliation)

Yeovil Bookings: Sam Williams (45 mins, off the ball incident), Stefan Stam (63 mins, foul), Dean Bowditch (68 mins, foul), Jean-Paul Kalala (71 mins, foul). Red Card: Jean-Paul Kalala (79 mins, second bookable offence).

Attendance: 4,450 (including approx 100 Yeovil fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape