Match Details: Yeovil Town v Swindon Town
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Swindon Town

Match Details: 05/09/2009
Yeovil Town 0-1 Swindon Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Alex McCarthy, 2. Craig Alcock, 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Steven Caulker, 6. Terrell Forbes, 8. Keiran Murtagh, 9. Sam Williams, 11. Andy Welsh, 13. Ryan Mason, 26. Jonathan Obika, 28. Nathan Smith,
Subs: 4. Stefan Stam, 7. George O'Callaghan, 15. Richard Martin, 16. Scott Murray, 18. Andy Lindegaard, 21. Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala, 32. Andre McCollin

Substitutes Used: Andre McCollin for Sam Williams (22 mins), Andy Lindegaard for Craig Alcock (51 mins), Jean-Paul Kamudimba Kalala for Andy Welsh (78 mins)

Bookings: Nathan Smith (Foul, 45), Andy Lindegaard (Foul, 53), Ryan Mason (Foul, 65), Nathan Jones (Foul, 74)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town went down to their first home league defeat of the season in a poor quality game against Swindon Town. In a game of few chances, and mostly scrappy play, the Robins nicked the game by unfortunate circumstances - a Terrell Forbes own goal after he headed a Jon-Paul McGovern cross past his own keeper. With both sides doing a good job at blocking each other out, but not so good a job at getting behind their opposition back fours, that goal was to prove enough to settle the game and give Swindon all three points.

The Glovers went into the game with Gavin Tomlin dropping entirely out of the squad following an injury he picked up during Tuesday night's match at AFC Bournemouth in the JPT. His position was taken by Sam Williams. Otherwise the only other change from last weekend's impressive performance at Huddersfield Town was to cover the departure of Danny Schofield to Millwall and Andy Welsh was given the nod to play on the right wing. Goalkeeper Alex McCarthy was a welcome name on the teamsheet - he had flown back between his two England Under 21 commitments to play for the Glovers and will be back on a plane to Greece tomorrow to team up with the international squad for a second occasion.

As for the game itself, probably the most impressive passage of play from the Glovers came during the opening 15 minutes. Not that they created anything much more than the odd header or shot going wide, but the presence of Sam Williams allowed Jon Obika to play his more natural game, and so there was early disappointment when Williams received a nasty bang on the hip early on and despite his attempts to limp along for ten more minutes, it was obvious that wasn't going to work and Andre McCollin replaced him.

Both sides were struggling to get in behind the back fours and as the half wore on, it became more and more obvious that this was not going to be a repeat of the Leyton Orient 3-3 draw from a fortnight ago. So when Swindon took the lead four minutes from the break, the alarm bells were ringing. A Jon-Paul McGovern cross was destined for the head of Jonathan Douglas, who was free in the centre, but Terrell Forbes got himself in front of Douglas - only to find his header sweetly planted in the back of Alex McCarthy's net. Forbes was one of Yeovil's more impressive performers on the day, but he doesn't seem to have much luck when he is in or around his own goalnet.

The second period saw Andy Lindegaard introduced as another forced substitution, with captain Craig Alcock limping off with a hamstring strain. Whilst the Glovers have been inconsistent so far this season, they've usually been able to find a significant passage of play during a game in which they do play well, but on this occasion, the effort became more one of huff'n'puff rather than any conviction.

Swindon boss Danny Wilson was sent to the stands after he got into an argument with Terry Skiverton, with the Glovers not having sent the ball out of play following an injury to Lecsinel Jean-Francois. The point that Wilson appeared to be missing was that his own team had played the ball out from goalkeeper through to striker with the defender lying on the floor without any intention of playing the ball out - yet the second the Glovers regained possession, Wilson blew his top and twice left his technical area to remonstrate with Skiverton. Referee Jarnail Singh decided Wilson was better off having a cool-down elsewhere in the stadium.

As the minutes ticked down, Andre McCollin and Jonathan Obika had semi-struck shots easily saved by Robins keeper David Lucas, whilst they had rather optimistic appeals for a penalty turned down when Scott Cuthbert lost his footing in his own penalty box and the ball continued to roll over his body. Handball was the claim, but it would have been a surprising decision if it had been given.

All in all, although the Glovers could have argued the case for a 0-0 being a fair representation of a poor game, Swindon just about edged it. Two Alex McCarthy blocks and a Craig Alcock clearance close to his own goal-line could have given Swindon goals elsewhere in the game, whilst it was difficult to recall a moment during the match when visiting keeper David Lucas was truly tested. The longer the game went on, the more obvious the 1-0 scoreline seemed and the four minutes of injury time were played out more in hope than in conviction.

The result sees the Glovers slip down the table to 17th - kept out of the relegation zone only by their superior goal difference, with Brighton and Hove Albion now holding the last relegation spot, and Wycombe Wanderers and Tranmere Rovers continuing their stay in the bottom places along with Southampton. Given Stockport County lie immediately below them and are next week's opponents, their next game has just got that little bit bigger.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Swindon Town 1.

Scorer: Terrell Forbes (0-1, 41 mins, own goal).

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Alex McCarthy
2. Craig Alcock 5. Steven Caulker 6. Terrell Forbes 3. Nathan Jones
11. Andy Welsh 13. Ryan Mason 8. Keiran Murtagh 28. Nathan Smith
9. Sam Williams 26. Jonathan Obika

15. Richard Martin (GK) 4. Stefan Stam 7. George O'Callaghan 16. Scott Murray 18. Andy Lindegaard (51 mins for Craig Alcock) 21. Jean-Paul Kalala (78 mins for Andy Welsh) 32. Andre McCollin (22 mins for Sam Williams)

Swindon Town: (4-3-3)
1. David Lucas
15. Kevin Amankwaah 6. Gordon Greer 2. Scott Cuthbert 19. Lescinel Jean-Francois
7. Jon-Paul McGovern 4. Jonathan Douglas 30. Simon Ferry
9. Ben Hutchinson 20. Billy Paynter 11. Anthony McNamee

12. Phil Smith (GK) 10. Michael Timlin (80 mins for Simon Ferry) 14. Sean Morrison 17. Callum Kennedy 22. Lloyd Macklin (67 mins for Ben Hutchinson) 24. Temitope Obadeyi (54 mins for Anthony McNamee) 31. Alex Revell

Yeovil Bookings: Nathan Smith (foul, 45 mins), Andy Lindegaard (foul, 53 mins), Ryan Mason (foul, 65 mins), Nathan Jones (foul, 74 mins)

Swindon Bookings: Lloyd Macklin (kicking ball away, 89 mins)

Referee: Jarnail Singh (Hounslow, Middlesex). Assistants: Richard Martin (Somerset) and Andrew Turner (Devon). Fourth Official: Chris Powell (Dorset).

Attendance: 4,807 (including 1,068 Swindon fans)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape