Match Details: Yeovil Town v Milton Keynes Dons
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Milton Keynes Dons

Match Details: 21/03/2009
Yeovil Town 0-0 Milton Keynes Dons
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals:

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Chris Weale, 4. Terry Skiverton, 6. Terrell Forbes, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 14. Paul Warne, 16. Gary Roberts, 18. Keiran Murtagh, 25. Andros Townsend, 26. Jonathan Obika, 27. Lee Peltier, 28. Nathan Smith
Subs: 9. Andy Welsh, 15. Luke Rodgers, 17. Aidan Downes, 19. Andre McCollin, 24. Danny Hutchins,

Substitutes Used: Danny Hutchins for Terry Skiverton (36 mins), Aidan Downes for Gavin Tomlin (76 mins), Luke Rodgers for Paul Warne (86 mins)

Bookings: Paul Warne (Foul, 63)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained an impressive home point against promotion-chasing Milton Keynes Dons at Huish Park this afternoon, but will feel that with a slice of luck they could have come away with all three. A disallowed goal from Jonathan Obika and a penalty from Gavin Tomlin that was saved by visiting keeper Willy Gueret showed first half promise. Andros Townsend almost nicked it at the death with Gueret producing a superb one-handed save.

The Glovers went into the match with a whole stack of changes from last weekend's 5-0 mauling by Brighton and Hove Albion. Loan signings Chris Weale, Andros Townsend and Jonathan Obika made their debuts with Wealey sporting his familiar all-blue kit as if he had never left the club in 2006. Keiran Murtagh and Paul Warne also came into the side, with Josh Wagenaar, Jonathan Worthington, Andy Welsh, Craig Alcock and Aidan Downes all dropping out.

They started slightly nervous and tentatively - perhaps understandable following the past two weeks - but grew into their stride when Jonathan Obika was put through on the left side of the field, slotting the ball home before he noticed a linesman's flag up for offside. Whilst no goal was given, it served to give the Glovers a bit of belief about their own abilities and seeing them take the upper hand.

MK Dons still looked lively though, and goalkeeper Chris Weale did extremely well to keep out a Jemal Johnson free kick - the ball coming through the wall and a crowd of associated players, with Wealey punching the ball away for a superb reaction save and a corner. Wealey's next save was a little more unorthodox though - Lee Peltier's sliced clearance span right over the keeper's head, and Wealey landed in the back of the net, mercifully clutching the ball in outstretched hands just inches in front of the line.

On the half hour mark Spurs duo Obika and Townsend, combined for move of the half, with Obika laying the ball into the path of Townsend, resulting in a clumsy challenge from Dons defender Flavien Belson that resulted in a clear penalty. Up stepped Gavin Tomlin, who was Yeovil's previously successful penalty taker all the way back in September at Brentford, but his penalty was well saved by Willy Gueret despite it being placed into the bottom left hand corner.

The Dons made a tactical switch at half time with Luke Chadwick coming on, and the result was that they had the better of the second period, sucking Yeovil back inside their own half at times. Terrell Forbes and Danny Hutchins both had to do goal-line clearances, with the header from Hutchins particularly impressive. Lee Peltier was in inspiring form, with two superb block tackles inside his own box, after being converted into a centre-back following the first half withdrawl of Terry Skiverton.

Both teams seemed to be flagging somewhat towards the end, but the Glovers still had a wonderful chance to grab all three points, when substitute Luke Rodgers fed Andros Townsend. But with both goalkeepers in superb form, it was Gueret's turn to save his side, by brilliantly turning Townsend's drive around for a corner. So near, but so far, with the Glovers having to eventually settle for a point.

The result is a valuable one on the scale of things with few expecting the Glovers to get anything out of this match. The progress on the back of two away hammerings at Leeds United and Brighton and Hove Albion suggest that Yeovil may have climbed out of their rock bottom state, but their joy at managing a clean sheet will be tempered by news that both Northampton Town and Swindon Town had achieved impressive home wins that have cut Yeovil adrift of the relegation line by two points. With both clubs representing Yeovil's next home opponents, these two fixtures are looming large, with just nine matches left to play.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 0 Milton Keynes Dons 0.

Scorers: None.

Yeovil Town (4-4-2):
1. Chris Weale
27. Lee Peltier 4. Terry Skiverton 6. Terrell Forbes 28. Nathan Smith
14. Paul Warne 16. Gary Roberts 18. Keiran Murtagh 25. Andros Townsend
26. Jonathan Obika 10. Gavin Tomlin

9. Andy Welsh 15. Luke Rodgers (86 mins for Paul Warne) 17. Aidan Downes (76 mins for Gavin Tomlin) 19. Andre McCollin 24. Danny Hutchins (36 mins Terry Skiverton)

Milton Keynes Dons (4-4-2):
12. Willy Gueret
17. Shaun Cummings 6. Sean O'Hanlon 4. Miguel Angel Llera 3. Dean Lewington
16. Jason Puncheon 20. Alan Navarro 24. Flavien Belson 8. Jemal Johnson
9. Aaron Wilbraham 22. Peter Leven

1. Nathan Abbey (GK) 2. Jude Stirling 21. Luke Howell 18. Ali Gerba (90 mins for Jason Puncheon) 26. Luke Chadwick (46 mins for Flavien Belson)

Yeovil Bookings: Paul Warne (foul, 63 mins)
MK Dons Bookings: Flavien Belson (foul, 29 mins)

Referee: Chris Sarginson (Staffordshire). Assistants: Andrew Bennett (Devon) and Andrew Rodda (Devon). Fourth Official: William Bull (Hampshire).

Attendance: 4,028 (including 360 MK Dons fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape