Match Details: Yeovil Town v Hereford United
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Hereford United

Match Details: 21/04/2009
Yeovil Town 2-2 Hereford United
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Luke Rodgers (78), Chris Weale (90)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Chris Weale, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 11. Danny Schofield, 14. Paul Warne, 18. Keiran Murtagh, 23. Aaron Brown, 24. Danny Hutchins, 25. Andros Townsend, 26. Jonathan Obika, 27. Lee Peltier, 28. Nathan Smith,
Subs: 9. Andy Welsh, 12. Craig Alcock, 13. Josh Wagenaar, 15. Luke Rodgers, 29. Danny Maguire

Substitutes Used: Luke Rodgers for Jonathan Obika (73 mins)

Bookings: Andros Townsend (Dissent, 71)

Match Report:

Local boy Chris Weale gave himself a night to remember at Huish Park tonight, as his 96th minute goal salvaged Yeovil Town a priceless point against Hereford United. The goalkeeper's last gasp header was every little bit of what Yeovil deserved on a pulsating night that saw them come from two goals down. Substitute Luke Rodgers pulled the first goal back, as Yeovil reeled from the shock of goals from Jennison Myrie-Williams and Stephen Guinan having put the Bulls 2-0 up against the run of play. But few could have predicted the grandstand finish that resulted in Wealey adding another notch to his hero status amongst Glovers fans.

The Glovers went into the match with a somewhat patched up defence. Terrell Forbes dropped out of the sixteen with a knee injury that saw him fail a late fitness test, meaning that Lee Peltier became captain for the night in his new position as a centre-back and was joined by Aaron Brown, who made his full comeback from injury.

Yeovil spent much of the 90 minutes on the attack, but without converting their chances. The game started in the manner that it was to continue, when Paul Warne struck the woodwork, and the ball rebounded straight into the arms of Bulls keeper Peter Gulacsi, who despite having a shaky start, was to lead a charmed life throughout the evening.

Further chances fell to Jonathan Obika and Andros Townsend as the half wore on, but the Glovers looked nervy and tentative at times, as if the players were aware of the magnitude of the game, and the longer the half went on, the more visiting keeper Gulascsi grew in confidence.

A goal came 27 minutes into the match, but it wasn't at the end where most of the play had been happening. A Stephen Guinan cross was brought down by Bristol City striker Jennison Myrie-Williams who slotted across the face of City keeper Chris Weale to put the Bulls 1-0 up. Doubtless both City players will have had a few words to say about that in the bar after the game, but for Yeovil, it was a bit of a sickener.

The Glovers carried on where they had left off - creating chances but not putting them away. Gavin Tomlin's strike was saved by Gulacsi, whilst Keiran Murtagh also shot from distance and was unlucky not to get a corner out of his deflected shot. Despite this, the players trooped off at half time to a chorus of boos from various sections of the Huish Park crowd.

The feeling that it was "one of those nights" increased during the early part of the second period, after the Glovers won a penalty. Gavin Tomlin raced through on goal and was hauled back inside the box by defender Sam Gwynne. A red card as the last man seemed inevitable, but inexplicably, referee Andy Penn only brought out a yellow after consulting with his assistant. Matters were made worse by the penalty, taken by Andros Townsend, which skied over the bar to continue Yeovil's woeful record of taking spot kicks this season.

Yeovil had appeals for a second penalty turned down almost immediately as Richard Rose blocked a shot, with referee Penn patting his chest in respone to players and crowd. However, four minutes later it looked like 'game over' as Stephen Guinan extended Hereford's lead, again against the run of play. His goal inside the box was an extension of the poor marking seen against Hartlepool United on Saturday and suggests that aspect of Yeovil's defensive lapses in concentration has not quite been eradicated.

With the Glovers two goals down, manager Terry Skiverton introduced Andy Welsh as an immediate substitute, with Luke Rodgers following him onto the pitch 10 minutes later. Whilst Welsh allowed goalkeeper Gulacsi to continue his impressive night with another superb save, Rodgers needed just five minutes to make his impact on the game known - a deflected shot with 12 minutes left that pulled the scores back to 1-2 and set up the potential of a storming finish.

Referee Andy Penn has a long and glorious reputation for extending games out to surreal lengths. Yeovil were on the receiving end of it almost exactly 10 years ago when Cheltenham Town managed promotion at the stopwatch of Mr Penn as they scored in the 7th minute of injury time as he clocked up nine additional minutes. Earlier this season, he played nearly 10 minutes added time for the game between Leicester City and MK Dons. Unlike the match at Whaddon Road a decade ago, this time matters fell Yeovil's way. In the last minute of four minutes of injury time, Chris Weale went up for a corner, and when the ball fell out of play for another corner, the goalkeeper held his position. With time now marching into six minutes of injury time and no final whistle having been blown, Keiran Murtagh's corner went to the back stick, and there was Wealey leaping above the rest to plant home a header right in front of the home terrace for an unbelievable equaliser!

Pandemonium ensued, and it was a wonder that a full scale pitch invasion did not happen to mob the goalkeeper. His team-mates certainly did the job though, and there was no chance for Hereford United to do anything more than kick off again before referee Penn finally blew his final whistle. An emotional game, and a priceless point, that still doesn't ensure League One survival, but certainly turns the screw on those sides below them.

Link: 2008-09 Latest League One Table (including tonight's results).

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Hereford United 2.

Scorers: Jennison Myrie-Williams (0-1, 27 mins), Stephen Guinan (0-2, 61 mins), Luke Rodgers (1-2, 78 mins), Chris Weale (2-2, 90 mins)

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
1. Chris Weale
24. Danny Hutchins 27. Lee Peltier 23. Aaron Brown 28. Nathan Smith
14. Paul Warne 11. Danny Schofield 18. Keiran Murtagh 25. Andros Townsend
10. Gavin Tomlin 26. Jonathan Obika

13. Josh Wagenaar (GK) 9. Andy Welsh (62 mins for Paul Warne) 12. Craig Alcock 15. Luke Rodgers (73 mins for Jonathan Obika) 29. Danny Maguire

Hereford United:
33. Peter Gulacsi 28. Dean Beckwith 2. Richard Rose 6. Kris Taylor 15. Sam Gwynne 31. Jennison Myrie-Williams 19. Craig Jones 8. Ben Smith 22. Matt Done 20. Andrew Williams 9. Stephen Guinan

17. Stephen O'Leary (76 mins for Craig Jones) 25. Jose Veiga (GK) 16. Jack Macleod (90 mins for Jennison Myrie-Williams) 12. Marc Pugh (76 mins for Matt Done) 24. Michael D Agostino

Yeovil Bookings: Andros Townsend (71 mins, dissent)
Hereford Bookings: Sam Gwynne (57 mins, foul), Andrew Williams (90 mins, foul)

Referee: Andy Penn (West Midlands). Assistants: David Belbin (Middlesex) and Richard Martin (Somerset). Fourth Official: Stephen Phipps (Oxfordshire).

Attendance: 3,780 (including approx 80 Hereford supporters).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape