Match Details: Peterborough United v Yeovil Town
Match Details: Peterborough United v Yeovil Town

Match Details: 14/02/2009
Peterborough United 1-3 Yeovil Town
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Paul Warne (31), Aaron Brown (33), Shaun MacDonald (69)

Yeovil Line-Up: 4. Terry Skiverton, 7. Jonathan Worthington, 9. Andy Welsh, 12. Craig Alcock, 13. Josh Wagenaar, 14. Paul Warne, 23. Aaron Brown, 24. Aleksandar Prijović, 26. Shaun MacDonald, 27. Lee Peltier, 28. Nathan Jones
Subs: 3. Nathan Jones, 10. Gavin Tomlin, 15. Luke Rodgers, 18. Keiran Murtagh, 22. Jordan Street,

Substitutes Used: Keiran Murtagh for Terry Skiverton (41 mins), Gavin Tomlin for Aleksandar Prijović (59 mins), Nathan Jones for Andy Welsh (72 mins)

Bookings: Paul Warne (Foul, 75)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained their fourth win in a row this afternoon as they gained a shock 3-1 win at London Road against Peterborough United. The performance was probably their most accomplished of the season as first half goals from Paul Warne and Aaron Brown put them in command against a side starting the day in third place in the table and unbeaten at home for almost six months. Aaron Mclean found a rare route past the Yeovil back line 11 minutes into the second half, but a goalkeeping blunder by Joe Lewis allowed Shaun MacDonald to claim his second goal for the Glovers, and despite Posh resorting to a long ball game in the final 15 minutes, there was no way back for them.

The Glovers went into the match making several enforced changes to the side that had last played two weeks ago. Andre McCollin (ribs), Lee Cox (knee) and Gary Roberts (ankle) were all ruled out through injury meaning that whilst Terry Skiverton and Lee Peltier were able to make their returns to the side. Luke Rodgers made it as far as the bench on emergency stand-by, whilst the thinness of the squad meant that there was room for Jordan Street as well.

The first half saw the Glovers control the match with surprising ease. Despite being up against a Posh side that has cost more in transfer fees than an annual playing budget at Huish Park, the Glovers were up for the match in spades - with some tremendous tackling often putting the home side on the back foot.

The noisy 340 stood at London Road's away end could be forgiven for being a little distracted in the first period. The club's ill-timed official statement was leaking through to those supporting the team via text message and phone call, and at times the talk on the terrace was only disturbed by another Yeovil ball into the box providing a reminder that a match was being played out there and maybe we all needed to stand there and watch it - because it was a rather impressive one from a Yeovil point of view.

Peterborough inevitably had their moments, with Josh Wagenaar blocking well from Craig Mackail-Smith midway through the half, but overall the Posh defence looked jittery whenever the busy Paul Warne made a darting run to try and get goalside of their back four. And they found their defence breached twice in three fabulous minutes just past the half hour mark, with Aaron Brown their tormentor on both occasions. Firstly an Andy Welsh cross was met at the near post by Brown, and his looped back header looked to have beaten keeper Joe Lewis, who had come to his near post. Paul Warne made sure by nodding home the easiest goal of his life - a distance of two inches out from goal.

Two minutes later, and Yeovil's joy was doubled, with Welsh and Brown again at the heart of it. Giant centre-backs are not normally known for having skills with their feet. But Aaron Brown proved that his overhead kick at Southend last month was no fluke. Andy Welsh's corner was again played to the near post, and Brown's backward flick caught Posh by surprise. 2-0, 33 minutes gone, and the away end erupted into a carnival atmosphere, bellowing out 'The Entertainer' in top voice. The only question is, what more does Brown have to do to earn a contract at Huish Park?

Posh almost got a goal back right on the stroke of half time when Jonathan Worthington cleared an Aaron Mclean header off the line, but the half belonged to Yeovil, with the joy only dented slightly by the forced withdrawl of Terry Skiverton with a foot injury just before the break, leaving the rather unexpected sight of a back line featuring Alcock, Peltier, Brown and Smith.

Inevitably, the home side got a bit of a rocket at half time and they came out showing a lot more threat than they had during the first period. So when Aaron Mclean volleyed home George Boyd's cross just 11 minutes into the half, it looked as though the second period would be somewhat less breezy. The home support finally showed some volume and for five or 10 minutes matters looked a bit dicey.

But Peterborough were to gift Yeovil their third and final goal 69 minutes into the match. A wholly speculative shot by Swansea City winger Shaun MacDonald looked easy stuff for a 400,000 England Under 21 keeper - but the ball seemed to squirm under him, and Yeovil's two goal lead was reestablished.

Yeovil had the audacity to go close for a fourth goal, with Andy Welsh having his long ranger tipped over the crossbar, and as Posh went long in the final 15 minutes to try and rely on the law of averages, there was always the worry that one loose ball might drop for them. But Lee Peltier was superb in his makeshift role as a centre-back, whilst Aaron Brown was immense, even if his second backflick of the match almost produced an unwanted comedy moment - fortunately this time he guided the ball over his own crossbar.

Not surprisingly, given yet another testing week in the current season, the final whistle was celebrated in style on both sides of the terrace wall. Manager Russell Slade had said pre-match that he wanted the talk about his future at the club to stop, and for all the talking to be done on the pitch - and his players certainly did that across the whole 90 minutes. Russell's post-match clenched fist celebration looked to be the unleashing of a few days of frustration - when your team has just won its fourth match on the bounce and done so in style, your players have put in immense effort to get you there, and the supporters celebrate like madmen at the end of the match, you have to wonder what exactly needs changing and why. Answers on a postcard to ...

Final Score: Peterborough United 1 Yeovil Town 3.

Scorers: Paul Warne (0-1, 31 mins), Aaron Brown (0-2, 33 mins), Aaron Mclean (1-2, 56 mins), Shaun MacDonald (1-3, 69 mins).

Peterborough United:
1. Joe Lewis
2. Russell Martin 26. Gabriel Zakuani 6. Charlie Lee 33. Daniel Blanchett
24. Shaun Batt 11. Dean Keates 15. Paul Coutts 10. George Boyd
9. Aaron Mclean 12. Craig Mackail-Smith

18. Chris Whelpdale (19 mins for Charlie Lee) 22. Sergio Torres 25. Dominic Green (71 mins for Shaun Batt) 27. Ben Wright 32. Danny Andrew

Yeovil Town: (4-4-2)
13. Josh Wagenaar
12. Craig Alcock 23. Aaron Brown 4. Terry Skiverton 28. Nathan Smith
26. Shaun MacDonald 27. Lee Peltier 7. Jonathan Worthington 9. Andy Welsh
14. Paul Warne 24. Aleksander Prijovic

3. Nathan Jones (72 mins for Andy Welsh) 10. Gavin Tomlin (59 mins for Aleksander Prijovic) 15. Luke Rodgers 18. Keiran Murtagh (41 mins for Terry Skiverton) 22. Jordan Street

Peterborough Bookings: Daniel Blanchett (32 mins, foul), Dean Keates (82 mins, foul)
Yeovil Bookings: Paul Warne (75 mins, foul)

Referee: Craig Pawson (Sheffield). Assistants: Declan Ford (Rutland) and Oleksandr Saliy (Middlesex). Fourth Official: Martin Dexter (Leicestershire).

Attendance: 6,129 (including 340 Yeovil fans).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape