Match Details: Yeovil Town v Brighton and Hove Albion
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Brighton and Hove Albion

Match Details: 29/12/2007
Yeovil Town 2-1 Brighton and Hove Albion
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Gary Dempsey (42), Zoltán Stieber (50)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Steve Mildenhall, 3. Nathan Jones, 5. Scott Guyett, 6. Terrell Forbes, 7. Gary Dempsey, 10. Marcus Stewart, 12. Matthew Rose, 14. Paul Warne, 25. Zoltán Stieber, 27. Lee Peltier, 28. James Walker,
Subs: 8. Anthony Barry, 9. Lloyd Owusu, 19. Craig Alcock, 20. Marc Bircham, 32. Marvin Williams

Substitutes Used: Marvin Williams for Paul Warne (72 mins), Lloyd Owusu for Marcus Stewart (72 mins), Marc Bircham for Zoltán Stieber (86 mins)

Bookings: Steve Mildenhall (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 81), Marvin Williams (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 90), Lee Peltier (Ungentlemanly Conduct, 90)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town completed the double over Brighton and Hove Albion for the second consecutive season as goals from midfielder Gary Dempsey and winger Zoltán Stieber confirmed a 2-1 win after an early Alex Revell goal had been cancelled out.

Despite making an enthusiastic start, the Glovers seemed to disappear into their shells somewhat, and it was a strong-looking Brighton side that took the lead, 19 minutes into the half. Nicky Forster outwitted Scott Guyett when the Australian over-committed himself on the edge of the box, forcing Steve Mildenhall to cover his near post against the incoming Forster. All it needed was a simple pull-back to striking partner Alex Revell and an eight-yard finish at Mildy's uncovered back post.

The Glovers clawed their way back into the game in terms of possession - but perhaps not in terms of chances as they struggled to find the final ball that would get them back into the game, and the result was a frustrating first half - until a moment of brilliance by Marcus Stewart got Yeovil back into the match. His pass entirely split the Brighton defence in two, letting in Gary Dempsey, who blasted the ball into the roof of the net on the angle from 10 yards for his first goal for the Glovers and with just three minutes to go before the break, a desperately needed equaliser.

Goals change games and it certainly changed Yeovil's confidence and outlook on the game as they then created more chances during the remaining three minutes of the half than they'd managed in the preceding 42 minutes as Brighton were rocked back on their heels. James Walker could have easily had Yeovil in front before the break if his shot had not hit the side netting and the only disappointment was that the half time whistle had to be blown.

The second period saw Yeovil's customary appeals for a penalty turned down after Marcus Stewart received a clear shove in the back inside the box as he leapt for a header. However, the Glovers had started where they left off at the tail end of the first half, and Brighton were clearly on the back foot with a second goal looking likely.

This is the season of the pantomime and Brighton didn't let us down. The second goal came when a cross in from the right was somewhat flapped at by keeper Michel Kuipers, and in the ensuing chaos, two of his fellow defenders managed to collide with Kuipers leaving a pile of Seagulls players on the deck, and Zoltán Stieber was the calmest man on the pitch as he swept the ball home from 15 yards for his debut goal for Yeovil.

The Hungarian had most of the main stand on their feet when he broke through later in the second half, firing into the side netting but with enough drive to make the whole net ripple and fool those on the blind side into believing that another goal had been scored. "We thought we had scored ..."

Brighton did mount a spirited comeback, and with Forster's strength and experience obvious, they were always likely to pose a threat. So when the Glovers midfield began to shrink back into the defensive backline, a rather animated Russell Slade furiously ordered his troops to push up and relieve the pressure. When they failed to, he brought on two players designed to do that - striker Lloyd Owusu and winger Marvin Williams - who began to restore the balance and give Brighton something new to think about.

The second half performance of referee Graham Horwood, who had been fine up until the break, made matters a little harder to negotiate, with almost every 50:50 decision going the way of the Seagulls, almost as if he was willing an equaliser, and the bizarre bookings of Glovers pair Steve Mildenhall and Lee Peltier for apparent timewasting when Brighton had wasted more time during the first half appeared to be part of that. The five minutes of signalled injury time, subsequently extended to six, was capped by Mr Horwood overruling his linesman from 30 yards away by awarding a corner to Brighton instead of a goal kick to keep everyone on the edge of their seats, but not even that could give the visitors an equaliser.

That sent home the majority of the 6,881 crowd home happy - Yeovil's biggest gate of the season - and a big statement to the club that the fans are still out there. They just need a little encouragement to return to Huish Park, and today's 'kids for a quid' offer, combined with an entertaining second half display from both sides, will hopefully show the club that it can be done.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Brighton and Hove Albion 1.

Yeovil Town: 4-4-2
1. Steve Mildenhall
27. Lee Peltier 5. Scott Guyett 6. Terrell Forbes 3. Nathan Jones
14. Paul Warne 7. Gary Dempsey 12. Matty Rose 25. Zoltan Stieber
10. Marcus Stewart 28. James Walker

Subs: 8. Anthony Barry 9. Lloyd Owusu (72 mins for Marcus Stewart) 19. Craig Alcock 20. Marc Bircham (86 mins for Zoltan Stieber) 32. Marvin Williams (72 mins for Paul Warne)

Brighton and Hove Albion: 4-4-2
16. Michel Kuipers
2. Andrew Whing 5. Joel Lynch 6. Adam El-Abd 18. Sam Rents
27. David Martot 22. Tommy Fraser 11. Dean Hammond 7. Dean Cox
8. Alex Revell 9. Nicky Forster

Subs: 14. Guy Butters 15. Paul Reid 19. Jake Robinson (60 mins for David Martot) 21. Nathan Elder (88 mins for Sam Rents) 23. Doug Loft (61 mins for Tommy Fraser)

Goals: Alex Revell (19 mins, 0-1), Gary Dempsey (42 mins, 1-1), Zoltan Stieber (50 mins, 2-1).

Attendance: 6,881 (including approx 800 Brighton fans).

Yeovil Bookings: Steve Mildenhall (timewasting, 81 mins), Lee Peltier (timewasting, 90 mins), Marvin Williams (off the ball incident, 90 mins)
Brighton Bookings: Joel Lynch (27 mins, foul), Andrew Whing (62 mins, dissent), Dean Hammond (off the ball incident, 90 mins)

Referee: Graham Horwood (Bedfordshire). Assistants: Simon Hooper (Wiltshire) and Andrew Laver (Hampshire). Fourth Official: Simon Snartt (Gloucestershire).
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape