Match Details: Yeovil Town v Hartlepool United
Match Details: Yeovil Town v Hartlepool United

Match Details: 08/12/2007
Yeovil Town 3-1 Hartlepool United
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Terry Skiverton (27), Marcus Stewart (31), Lloyd Owusu (77)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Steve Mildenhall, 4. Terry Skiverton, 5. Scott Guyett, 6. Terrell Forbes, 7. Gary Dempsey, 10. Marcus Stewart, 14. Paul Warne, 17. Darren Way, 25. Zoltán Stieber, 27. Lee Peltier, 28. James Walker
Subs: 8. Anthony Barry, 9. Lloyd Owusu, 15. Justin Cochrane, 16. Ritchie Jones, 19. Craig Alcock,

Substitutes Used: Lloyd Owusu for James Walker (72 mins), Ritchie Jones for Zoltán Stieber (79 mins), Anthony Barry for Darren Way (80 mins)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained their most comfortable home win of the season today at a rainsoaked Huish Park. Goals from Terry Skiverton, Marcus Stewart and Lloyd Owusu gave them a 3-1 win over Hartlepool United after Michael Mackay's opener for the visitors had given them early hope.

The pre-match dilemma was that of who should play at left-back for the Glovers in the absence of the suspended Nathan Jones and the injured Matthew Rose. In the end Terrell Forbes swapped full-back positions whilst Lee Peltier went into the right-back slot, allowing a gap for Gary Dempsey to fill in central midfield.

The new look defence took a while to get going, and Scott Guyett was caught flat-footed by Michael Mackay's turn that left the striker in acres of space on the edge of the box. Were it not for the fact that there were barely 100 travelling fans in the stadium, his wonderful curling strike into the top corner from the edge of the box would surely have deserved better than the stunned silence that it was greeted with to give Hartlepool a 9th minute lead.

Whilst the Glovers defence was getting to grips with both their formation and the weather conditions, Hartlepool's back line were suffering just as badly, with Yeovil carving open more than enough chances to look like they could get back into the game. A clash of heads between Godwin Antwi and Yeovil's Marcus Stewart saw both sides reduced to 10 men and it was during this spell that the Glovers turned the match on its head.

A Zoltan Stieber corner on 27 minutes did what it did on Tuesday night - landing in the direction of club captain Terry Skiverton, and this time there was no need for a debate as to whose head the ball had come off - this time Skivo definitely got the credit for the equaliser.

Yeovil physio Jim Joyce beat his Hartlepool counterpart in stitching up his wounded player, and no sooner had Marcus Stewart returned to the field than he was testing out Joyce's handiwork, heading home a Lee Peltier cross to put Yeovil in front. By the time Antwi returned to the field for Hartlepool, he was to find that 0-1 had become 2-1 with both goals being scored in areas where a central defender would have come in rather handy.

The second period was a more measured affair, with the Glovers now having the wind at their backs. Hartlepool pressed frequently but the Yeovil defence seemed more calm and composed than it had been during the first half and soaked up the pressure well.

Lloyd Owusu was the first of three second half substitutes introduced into the frame and it was him that sealed the game, latching onto a Marcus Stewart through-ball. It almost looked as though a combination of Hartlepool keeper Jan Budtz's legs and Owusu's loss of balance had denied the chance, but when the first attempt was blocked and squirmed loose, Owusu was the first to react by lifting the ball over the prone keeper's body for a 3-1 scoreline.

At times passes went astray and mistakes were made during the afternoon's match. But considering the lack of a recognised left-back within the squad and the torrential rain that soaked the pitch which was added to by a swirling wind that blew towards the home terrace, the Glovers did well to keep their composure and keep the game largely within their control, even when they were trailing. In scoring three times for the first time this season as well, this game and the previous few weeks worth of matches have gone a long way towards the positive swagger that saw Yeovil finish the game in style.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 3 Hartlepool United 1.

Scorers: Michael Mackay (10 mins, 0-1), Terry Skiverton (27 mins, 1-1), Marcus Stewart (31 mins, 2-1), Lloyd Owusu (77 mins, 3-1)

Yeovil Town (4-4-2):
1. Steve Mildenhall
27. Lee Peltier 4. Terry Skiverton 5. Scott Guyett 6. Terrell Forbes
14. Paul Warne 7. Gary Dempsey 17. Darren Way 25. Zoltan Stieber
10. Marcus Stewart 28. James Walker

Subs: 8. Anthony Barry (80 mins for Darren Way) 9. Lloyd Owusu (72 mins for James Walker) 15. Justin Cochrane 16. Ritchie Jones (79 mins for Zoltan Stieber) 19. Craig Alcock

Hartlepool United:
1. Jan Budtz
27. Eddie Nolan 20. Godwin Antwi 5. Michael Nelson 3. Robbie Elliott
14. James Brown 7. Gary Liddle 15. Antony Sweeney 8. Ritchie Humphreys
22. Ian Moore 24. Michael Mackay

Subs: 4. Willie Boland 9. Richard Barker (55 mins for Ian Moore) 17. David Foley (66 mins for Ritchie Humphreys) 18. Alistair Gibb 21. Arran Lee-Barrett (GK)

Bookings: None

Attendance: 4,694

Referee: Andy D'Urso (Essex)
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape