Match Details: Yeovil Town v AFC Bournemouth
Match Details: Yeovil Town v AFC Bournemouth

Match Details: 04/12/2007
Yeovil Town 2-1 AFC Bournemouth
Coca Cola League One

Yeovil Goals: Terry Skiverton (3), James Walker (37)

Yeovil Line-Up: 1. Steve Mildenhall, 3. Nathan Jones, 4. Terry Skiverton, 5. Scott Guyett, 6. Terrell Forbes, 10. Marcus Stewart, 14. Paul Warne, 17. Darren Way, 25. Zoltán Stieber, 27. Lee Peltier, 28. James Walker
Subs: 7. Gary Dempsey, 8. Anthony Barry, 9. Lloyd Owusu, 15. Justin Cochrane, 19. Craig Alcock,

Substitutes Used: Gary Dempsey for Lee Peltier (58 mins), Craig Alcock for Zoltán Stieber (67 mins), Lloyd Owusu for Marcus Stewart (77 mins)

Bookings: , Paul Warne (Foul, 89)

Match Report:

Yeovil Town gained three valuable points at Huish Park tonight, but only after AFC Bournemouth gave them a late fright with a spirited second half comeback attempt. The Glovers were cruising at 2-0, following goals from Terry Skiverton (other reports are suggesting an Alex Pearce own goal) and James Walker but the game was turned on its head on 64 minutes when Nathan Jones was forced to handle on his goal line and the red card and subsequent penalty by Brett Pitman guaranteed a nervy final half hour as the Cherries tried to take advantage of the extra man. Thankfully Yeovil's defence, which included Craig Alcock playing as a left-back following Jones's dismissal, held out for the win.

The Glovers got off to a dream start. Zoltan Stieber on his debut forced a corner, and upon taking the dead ball himself, he managed to pitch the ball straight to Terry Skiverton, who powered his attempt (or possibly Alex Pearce's, under pressure from Skivo) off the underside of the crossbar for a 1-0 lead with just three minutes gone.

The half was dominated by the Glovers, with Marcus Stewart instrumental as a forward-thinking pivot, continually spraying passes out to Stieber, Warne and Walker as the Cherries defence spent the first half firmly on the back foot.

The Glovers doubled their lead eight minutes from the break when Paul Warne received the ball down the right and put an early ball into the box, which allowed James Walker to squeeze between goalkeeper and defender with a brave diving header to really wrestle control of the game.

Bournemouth looked demoralised and off the pace throughout the whole of the first 45 minutes and the best they could muster was a late attempt from Brett Pitman that threaded past Steve Mildenhall's post but without forcing him into his first save of the match.

The second half saw the visitors start the second half with a bit more grit and determination although Marcus Stewart could easily have put Yeovil 3-0 up early on. However, a substitution saw Sam Vokes come on for the Cherries and he should have pulled a goal back when a Scott Guyett mistake let him through, but with the goal gaping he contrived to strike the foot of the post and give Yeovil a real let-off.

However that let-off didn't last for long - a Bournemouth shot was handled by Nathan Jones on the goal line and the left-back got the inevitable red card, and with Brett Pitman slotting home the penalty suddenly Bournemouth were back in the game. Craig Alcock was brought on as a makeshift left-back and the Cherries tails were up.

Steve Mildenhall was forced into an instinctive close range save as Bournemouth pressed for the equaliser and the Glovers were sucked back into their own half, frequently having to deal with a bout of head tennis as the strong wind refused to allow the ball to clear out of Yeovil's half. Gradually though they got the measure of the situation, frequently pumping long balls out of defence to the revised front pairing of substitute Lloyd Owusu and the impressive James Walker. Not even five inexplicable minutes of injury time from referee Fred Graham could deny Yeovil the points in torrential conditions, and the win moves the Glovers up to 10th in the table. The only downside to the evening is the one match suspension for Nathan Jones - hopefully Matthew Rose will be fit enough to return and act as cover - his elbow injury tonight kept him out of the sixteen.

Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 AFC Bournemouth 1.

Scorers: Terry Skiverton (3 mins, 1-0), James Walker (37 mins, 2-0), Brett Pitman (65 mins, penalty, 2-1).

Yeovil Town: 4-4-2
1 Steve Mildenhall
6 Terrell Forbes 4 Terry Skiverton 5 Scott Guyett 3 Nathan Jones
14 Paul Warne 27 Lee Peltier 17 Darren Way 25 Zoltan Stieber
10 Marcus Stewart 28 James Walker

Subs: 9 Lloyd Owusu (77 mins for Marcus Stewart) 8 Anthony Barry 7 Gary Dempsey (58 mins for Lee Peltier) 19 Craig Alcock (67 mins for Zoltan Stieber) 15 Justin Cochrane

AFC Bournemouth: 4-4-2
12. Gareth Stewart
4. Paul Telfer 35. Alex Pearce 7. Shaun Cooper 28. Warren Cummings
34. James Henry 14. Danny Hollands 20. Jem Karacan 17. Max-Alain Gradel
23. Lee Bradbury 26. Brett Pitman

Subs: 13. Ryan Pryce (GK) 9. Sam Vokes (57 mins for Lee Bradbury) 15. Jason Pearce 16. Marvyn Bartley 18. Dominic Shimmin (84 mins for Shaun Cooper)

Bournemouth Bookings: Max-Alain Gradel (encroachment, 27 mins)
Yeovil Bookings: Paul Warne (foul, 89 mins). Red Card: Nathan Jones (professional handball, 64 mins).

Referee: Fred Graham (Essex). Assistants: Michael Rowley (Berkshire) and Stephen Tomlinson (Hamshire). Fourth Official: Lee Swabey (Devon).

Attendance: 5,321.
© Ciderspace 2003-2012
Last Updated : 12th August 2007
design by siteshape