Ciderspace News Page : Youths Go Down Against Southend
16 October 2007 : Youths Go Down Against Southend
Yeovil Town's Under 18s side saw their interest in the Football League Youth Alliance Cup Group section effectively ended on Saturday after they were beaten 3-1 by Southend United.

Having put on an impressive performance in last week's match against Oxford United, manager Stuart Housley kept faith with the same line-up and formation that he had used throughout that match.

The Glovers though, couldn't have got a worse start, with Southend taking the lead just three minutes into the match, as James Lindie deflected a wild and wide Southend shot across the face of the box, surprising John Steele in the Yeovil Town goal.

Steele made a series of fine saves during the match, doing well to keep Yeovil in the game, whilst another Southend chance forced a goal-line clearance to keep the score at 1-0. That doggedness seemed to have paid off, when a Carl Lazenby 34th minute free kick was spilled by Southend keeper Nathan McDonald and Owen Irish was the first to react as the central defender provided the equaliser with a tap-in.

Had the Glovers managed to get through the remaining 11 minutes before the break without conceding, the game would have been set up for the second half. But Richard Priest's 25 yard drive took a deflection on its way into the top corner and then with half time looming, Luke Thurlbourne drove home through a crowded goalmouth with Glovers keeper John Steele having been blocked off from a Southend corner.

Omar Simpson went up front for the second period as the Glovers switched to 4-4-2 and they probably should have pulled a goal back when Ali Lwanga missed a great chance early on. But after a brief end-to-end flurry of activity from both sides, the game calmed down, with Southend content to shut up shop and control the match thereafter.

The result leaves the Glovers with two games to go against Gillingham and Colchester before the group stages complete. But with only one point from their games so far, realistically these final two matches will be played for pride rather than for a place in the final stages.

Final Score: Yeovil Town Under 18s 1 Southend United Under 18s 3.

Yeovil Town: (4-5-1)
John Steele
Mark Muddyman Jordan Street Owen Irish Sam Elphick
Omar Simpson Ren Turnock Stuart Davies Carl Lazenby Ali Lwanga
Lloyd Moyce

Southend United: (4-4-2) Nathan McDonald; Dan Harvey, Tom Hopkins, Ronnie Jones, Johnny Herd; Stuart O'Keefe (Tashan Adeyinka 82) Luke Thurlbourne (Davis Abbey 76), Richard Priest, Jamie Forshaw (Jack Morris 59); Rhys Henry, James Lindie.

Goals: James Lindie (0-1, 3 mins), Owen Irish (1-1, 34 mins), Richard Priest (1-2, 40 mins), Luke Thurlbourne (1-3, 44 mins).

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

Other News Items For 16/10/2007

16/10/2007 : Swansea Date And Prices Confirmed
16/10/2007 : Cruciate Damage Confirmed For Morris
16/10/2007 : Football League Weekend Round-Up
16/10/2007 : Tickets For Crewe Trip
16/10/2007 : Premium Pricing Attendance Analysis
16/10/2007 : Millwall Make Slade Approach
16/10/2007 : Youths Go Down Against Southend

News Items For Today

21/04/2019 : Neale Marmon's Good Friday Interview With beIN Sports
21/04/2019 : Taff's Gloversblog : Mistakes Proving Costly As Time Runs Out

News Archives

To go to the Ciderspace News Archives, click here.
To subscribe to this News Page's RSS Feed, copy this link into your News Reader. Alternatively Join us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter.
To see all news for April 2019 click here.
To see all news for March 2019 click here.

© Ciderspace 1999-2004
Last Updated : 17th August 2015
design by siteshape