Ciderspace News Page : Lwanga Double Downs City
10 October 2007 : Lwanga Double Downs City
Yeovil Town Reserves gained a shock 2-0 win over Bristol City Reserves at Huish Park this afternoon, despite the two clubs putting out extremely different looking line-ups.

Whilst the Glovers were forced to shield almost all of their senior players from the match to avoid the possibility of their injury list being increased even further, City fielded a side full of household names, with Brian Wilson, Jamie McCombe, Phil Jevons, Scott Murray, David Noble and Cole Skuse all starting.

The Glovers fielded three trialists within their young side, with 19 year old Charlton Athletic striker James Walker, Plymouth Argyle midfielder Ryan Dickson and former AFC Bournemouth defender Callum Hart all in the starting line-up. Former Grimsby Town striker Michael Reddy was deemed to be not quite ready yet for competitive action.

Despite the huge gulf in experience between the two sides, it was the Glovers who started the brighter and just 18 minutes into the match they took the lead when James Walker got down the wing, put in a byline cross that had the City keeper coming out for it. He missed the cross and Youth Teamer Ali Lwanga headed home.

Yeovil also went close when Gary Dempsey, making his comeback from a foot injury, picked out Jerahl Hughes with a long cross-field pass. Hughes broke down the left-wing and put in a cross for Walker, who shot just wide of the post.

A minute before the break, Yeovil doubled their lead, in a near carbon copy of their opening goal. Walker again provided the width, City keeper Balasz over-committed himself, and Ali Lwanga grabbed his second. 2-0 at half time.

City came out somewhat more fired up for the second period, but failed to dislodge the Yeovil lead. A few rather 'tasty' City tackles suggested that manager Gary Johnson wasn't best pleased with their first half efforts, but the Glovers remained on top in the match. City had to rue a number of missed chances, with former Glover Phil Jevons twice hitting the woodwork, whilst Jamie McCoombe also managed the same.

Aside from the result, two big positives to come out of the match were Gary Dempsey lasting 65 minutes, whilst Justin Cochrane, who replaced him lasted 25 minutes. At a time when physio Jim Joyce's room seems to have a perpetual number of players coming through the In door, it's a relief to find a couple of players appear to be finding the Out door.

Final Score: Yeovil Town Reserves 2 Bristol City Reserves 0.

Yeovil Town Reserves: 1. Lloyd Irish 2. Craig Alcock (capt) 3. Ryan Dickson 4. Owen Irish 5. Callum Hart 6. Stephen Maher 7. Ali Lwanga 8. Gary Dempsey 9. James Walker 10. Jordan Street 11. Jerahl Hughes.

Subs: 12. Wilfried Domoraud (77 mins for Ali Lwanga) 14. Stuart Davies (80 mins for Jerahl Hughes) 15. Justin Cochrane (65 mins for Gary Dempsey) 16. Ren Turnock.

Bristol City Reserves: (provisional - tbc) Balasz; B.Wilson, Wilkinson, McCombe, Slocombe; Murray, Noble, Skuse, Kington; Plummer, Jevons. Subs: Jackson, Boon, Sivers, Dunn.

Share on Facebook

Comment on this News Item on Facebook or Go back to Top of Page

Other News Items For 10/10/2007

10/10/2007 : Lwanga Double Downs City
10/10/2007 : Youths Draw At Oxford
10/10/2007 : Reserves vs Bristol City Reminder
10/10/2007 : Injury Update

News Archives

To go to the Ciderspace News Archives, click here.
To subscribe to this News Page's RSS Feed, copy this link into your News Reader. Alternatively Join us on Facebook or Follow us on Twitter.
To see all news for August 2019 click here.
To see all news for July 2019 click here.

© Ciderspace 1999-2004
Last Updated : 17th August 2015
design by siteshape