Yeovil Town went down to a last minute goal in their opening pre-season friendly tonight against Swansea City. It took a 25 yard strike by Matt Grimes to end the game with the Championship side on top - the only time they had been ahead in a game that saw Jordan Green net from close range midway through the first half. The traditional sea of changes both at half time and on the hour mark meant that two different teams faced each other as the game closed out, and Swansea equalised through attacker Yan Dhanda with just 13 minutes remaining before Grimes won the match right on the 90 minute mark.
The Glovers fielded three new players in their starting line-up with former Notts County left-back Carl Dickinson the only permanent signing to get that privilege. Norwich City loanee Diallang Jaiyesimi was played as a front line striker in a 4-4-2, whilst there was an unnamed central midfielder playing as a trialist. Swansea's line-up had six major players missing through injury and World Cup duty but did include former Glovers loanee Connor Roberts.
It was Roberts who almost opened the scoring as he saw his shot from a Wayne Routledge cross deflected onto the woodwork by captain Omar Sowunmi. As Swansea started in a sluggish way, Jordan Green was able to fire off a shot from a short free kick that saw Erwin Mulder save. Yeovil's opening goal of the night came from a corner kick, with Carl Dickinson on duty for the set piece. His low delivery was flicked on by Alex Fisher allowing Green to finish from close range, with Swansea's defence having somehow allowed an ankle height ball to travel right across the face of their six yard box.
Green had Yeovil's best other first half effort as he curled a shot wide of Mulder's far post, in a half that saw Yeovil show good value for their lead. The half time whistle saw Yeovil make ten changes, with Stuart Nelson the only player to be given longer than 45 minutes. He eventually made way on the hour mark. Swansea also rang the changes, making six substitutions at half time, followed by a further four just after Nelson left the field. Whilst Swansea's were named, Yeovil's were the infamous 'Trialist B', 'Trialist C' that litter early pre-season friendlies.
With 13 minutes remaining of a half that had seen Swansea dominate the possession, they equalised when Yan Dhanda struck home a deflected shot from a Daniel James cross. Then as the game closed out and into the final minute, Matt Grimes struck a 25 yard drive into the back of the net that won the match for Swansea.
Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Swansea City 2.
Scorers: Jordan Green (1-0, 25 mins), Yan Dhanda (1-1, 77 mins), Matt Grimes (1-2, 90 mins)
1. Stuart Nelson
2. Tom James, 5. Shaun Donnellan, 6. Omar Sowunmi (Capt), 3. Carl Dickinson
7. Jordan Green, 8. Trialist A, 4. Alefe Santos, 10. Rhys Browne
11. Diallang Jaiyesimi, 9. Alex Fisher
12. Trialist B (60 mins for Stuart Nelson) 13. Francois Zoko 14. Dan Alfei 15. Gary Warren, 16. Bevis Mugabi, 17. Tyrique Spencer-Clarke 18. Trialist C 19. Trialist D 20. Trialist E 21. Trialist F 22. Trialist G (all subs introduced on 46 mins, except where stated) 23. Daniel Ojo (89 mins for Francois Zoko)
1. Erwin Mulder, 23. Connor Roberts, 26. Kyle Naughton, 5. Mike van der Hoorn, 50. Cian Harries, 15. Wayne Routledge, 24. Jordi Amat, 14. Tom Carroll, 48. George Byers, 11. Luciano Narsingh, 62. Oliver McBurnie.
19. Andre Ayew, 38. Adnan Maric, 21. Matt Grimes, 56. Jay Fulton, 23. Federico Fernandez, 42. Daniel James (all 46 mins), 61. Joe Rodon, 30. Yan Dhanda, 31. Aaron Lewis, 63. Ryan Blair (all 63 mins). 39. Gregor Zbret 18. Jordan Ayew (not used)
Referee: Kevin Johnson. Assistants: Simon Knapp and Ron Ganfield. Fourth Official: Matt Eva.
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page