Yeovil Town went down to their second defeat of pre-season on Tuesday night, as League One side Bristol Rovers scored three times at Huish Park. Although Nathan Smith scored his second goal in pre-season to reduce the deficit, Byron Moore quickly gave Rovers a two goal advantage and a 1-3 win, with Billy Bodin having bagged two goals on either side of half time.
There were four changes to Yeovil Town's line-up for this match. Trialist Daniel Alfei, came in for his first start, whilst Omar Sowunmi and Tom James made for a very new looking back four. Up front there was one change, with Olufela Onomola replacing Jermaine Easter, who sat out the whole night against his old club. Artur Krysiak made it as far as the bench but wasn't used, whilst there was still no sign of Stephane Zubar who missed his fourth game. Ryan Dickson was another player to take the night off.
The first half was one of few chances, with a deflected Olufela Onomola effort going into the keeper's arms, whilst Francois Zoko shot into the side netting from a narrow angle. At the other end, Ellis Harrison almost headed home, but was inches over the crossbar. All in all neither keeper had much to do until the 45th minute when Rovers took the lead with the final kick of the half. A free kick seemed to catch out the defensive line, as Chris Lines put the ball in along the deck and Billy Bodin was able to finish from inside the box for a 0-1 lead.
Three minutes after the break, and the same striker got space inside the box. Ellis Harrison made a bit of a hash of his own shot, but Billy Bodin was alert to quickly divert the ball past Jonny Maddison for a 0-2 lead.
Yeovil Town did react to that second goal, quickly pulling back one of their own. James Bailey got room down the right flank, and he found Nathan Smith who had stayed up following a set piece. His header went into the bottom corner for a 1-2 scoreline and his second of pre-season following a goal at Frome Town on Saturday.
Rovers got their third goal just four minutes later, and once again Bodin was heavily involved. His run caused the Yeovil back line to back pedal and they didn't notice Byron Moore making a well timed run that meant Bodin's threaded pass put him clean through on goal. He lifted the ball over Maddison for a 1-3 lead.
Whilst Rovers made plenty of substitutions, Yeovil held theirs back until as late as possible, presumably with a 'matchday dress rehearsal' in mind. Eventually Alefe Santos got onto the field against his old club, joined by Jake Gray as the central midfield was replaced, whilst there were late sightings of Owain Jones and Louis Rooney as substitutes as those two trialists continue to be used in pre-season. Jones and Rooney almost conjured up a late goal between them, with the former Swansea City man firing wide, but that was as close as it got in the latter stages.
Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Bristol Rovers 3.
Scorers: Billy Bodin (0-1, 45 mins), Billy Bodin (0-2, 48 mins), Nathan Smith (1-2, 53 mins), Byron Moore (1-3, 57 mins)
1. Jonny Maddison
2. Daniel Alfei 5. Omar Sowunmi 6. Nathan Smith 3. Tom James
10. Rhys Browne 8. Connor Smith 4. James Bailey (Capt) 7. Otis Khan
9. Olufela Onomola 13. Francois Zoko
12. Artur Krysiak, 11. Joe Tomlinson, 14. Keston Davies (83 mins for Omar Sowunmi), 16. Louis Rooney (83 mins for Francois Zoko), 17. Owain Jones (83 mins for Olufela Onomola), 18. Jake Gray (78 mins for James Bailey), 19. Alefe Santos (78 mins for Connor Smith), 20. Samyan Ismail and two unused trialists.
1. Adam Smith 2. Dan Leadbitter 3. Lee Brown 4. Tom Lockyer 5. Tom Broadbent 6. Chris Lines 7. Liam Sercombe 8. Ollie Clarke 9. Ellis Harrison 10. Billy Bodin 11. Byron Moore
14. Luke Russe (24 mins for Dan Leadbitter) 15. Rollin Menayese (75 mins for Liam Sercombe) 16. Connor Jones (75 mins for Byron Moore) 17. Lewis Ellington (70 mins for Billy Bodin) 18. Tom Jonkerman
Attendance: 1,351 (with 314 Bristol Rovers fans).
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page