Yeovil Town had to come from behind beat Frome Town in their fourth pre-season friendly this afternoon. The 2-1 victory at Badgers Hill gave them their third victory in four matches, with all three gained against non-league opposition. But as with other matches, they had to work for it, falling behind before goals from Nathan Smith and former Grimsby Town winger Rhys Browne turned around the game.
Two quick first half goals set the tone of the first half, with both sides competing evenly. Both came from set pieces, with Frome gaining theirs from a free kick. George Miller's set piece went in to the back post and Frome defender Marcus Mapstone was able to strongly head home for a lead that the home side deserved at 1-0.
Almost immediately though, Yeovil Town seemed to wake up from their early slumbers, as they equalised within two minutes. An Otis Khan corner went into the box, and Nathan Smith was in the right position to head home past Kyle Phillips for a 1-1 scoreline.
At half time, the Glovers made four substitutes, with trialist Alefe Santos joining three contracted players in loanees Keston Davies and Olufela Olomola and midfielder Jake Gray as the changes. The half saw Yeovil start far more impressively, winning a number of corners as they pressurised the home side.
They took the lead after a Frome mistake gave the ball away in midfield. Otis Khan picked the ball up on the counter-attack, threaded the ball to Olufela Olomola, whose ball into the box was lashed home confidently by Rhys Browne for a 1-2 advantage to the Glovers.
There could have been more goals at Badgers Hill, with Yeovil creating most of them, despite making seven further changes, which included several of the existing trialists, and youth teamer Samyan Ismail in their numbers as ultimately all eleven players left the field. Omar Sowunmi almost scored from an Otis Khan corner, but a covering defender blocked his header on the line.
Then Yeovil missed their second penalty of pre-season, as Olufela Olomola struck the base of the left hand post, following a foul on Owain Jones, meaning that both he and Rhys Browne have failed to convert in pre-season. That didn't matter though, with Frome rarely threatening in the second period, with the 2-1 scoreline being enough to see the visitors over the line.
Scorers: Marcus Mapstone (1-0, 33 mins), Nathan Smith (1-1, 35 mins), Rhys Browne (1-2, 63 mins)
1. Jonny Maddison
2. Bevis Mugabi 4. Keston Davies 5. Nathan Smith 3. Ryan Dickson
11. Rhys Browne 8. Connor Smith 6. James Bailey (Capt) 7. Otis Khan
10. Jermaine Easter 9. Francois Zoko
13. Oliver Davies (69 mins for Jonny Maddison), 12. Daniel Alfei (69 mins for Bevis Mugabi), 14. Omar Sowunmi (46 mins for Keston Davies), 15. Tom James (69 mins for Nathan Smith), 16. Connor Riley-Lowe (69 mins for Ryan Dickson), 17. Owain Jones (69 mins for Otis Khan), 18. Alefe Santos (46 mins for Connor Smith), 19. Louis Rooney (69 mins for Francois Zoko), 20. Olufela Onomola (46 mins for Jermaine Easter), 21. Samyan Ismail (69 mins for Rhys Browne) 22. Jake Gray (46 mins for James Bailey)
1. Kyle Phillips 2. Rob Hobbs 3. Ben Withey 4. Sam Teale 5. Marcus Mapstone 6. Chas Hemmings 7. Darren Jeffries 8. George Miller 9. Jake Jackson 10. Mikey Bryant 11. Ollie Knight.
12. Jon Davies 14. Ben Griffiths 16. Ryan Bath 17. Joe Raines 19. Ollie Price
Referee: Paul Rees. Assistants: Kevin Rodd and George Gross. Fourth Official: Ian Harley.
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page