Yeovil Town completed their pre-season schedule with an entertaining 3-2 win over Swansea City U21s at Huish Park tonight. In a match that saw both sides take the lead during the game, the Glovers came back from an early Henry Jones goal to level at the break via an Alex Lacey header. During the second period, Ryan Bird scored after he latched onto a long ball, whilst trialist Brandon Beresford fired home with two minutes to go. Swansea completed the scoring with the last kick of the game as Alex Samuel converted a cross, but that was to be merely a consolation for them.
The Glovers went into the match with four wide players missing out through injury, as Iffy Allen, Ryan Dickson, Jack Compton and Jordan Gibbons show concerns as to whether they will be ready and available for the League Two opener on Saturday. As a result, their 4-4-2 was more of a diamond than a flat midfield, with Matt Dolan operating on the base. An open and end-to-end first half saw both teams gain a large number of chances to find the back of the net. Swansea City were the first team to do so successfully, as Jay Fulton picked out Henry Jones, who had plenty of space and time on the ball to fire home from the edge of the box for an 11th minute lead.
Yeovil had created their own decent chances, with Jamie Burrows beating two defenders before forcing Josh Vickers to save low down. Then Vickers palmed away a Wes Fogden attempt from outside the box. Eight minutes after the opening goal, a Marc Laird free kick gave them their equaliser, as he found Alex Lacey inside the box, and the former Luton Town defender used his height well to beat Josh Vickers to the ball and head home.
The second half saw the Glovers make a number of substitutions, including the introduction of former Bristol City winger Jennison Myrie-Williams. Ultimately all four of the trialists included in the squad got onto the pitch as players legs were rested for Saturday. One of the contracted players introduced staked his claim for a place in the starting line-up though, after Jakub Sokolik's long ball up field caught out Swansea substitute Keston Davies. In ran Ryan Bird who finished well to put the home side 2-1 up.
With two minutes remaining, Guyanese international midfielder Brandon Beresford took advantage of Swansea only half clearing their lines, as he struck the ball from the edge of the box to return it into the back of the net for a 3-1 lead. And although two Swansea substitutes combined during second half injury time to pull one back - right-back Dan Alfei's cross was headed home by Alex Samuel, the Glovers were able to finish off pre-season with a win and a few goals - the mentality that they will want as they begin League Two on Saturday.
Final Score: Yeovil Town 3 Swansea City U21s 2.
Scorers: Henry Jones (11 mins, 0-1), Alex Lacey (19 mins, 1-1), Ryan Bird (71 mins, 2-1), Brandon Beresford (88 mins, 3-1), Alex Samuel (90 mins, 3-2).
1. Chris Weale
2. Jakub Sokolik 5. Alex Lacey 6. Stephen Arthurworrey 3. Nathan Smith (Capt)
7. Marc Laird 8. Wes Fogden 4. Matt Dolan 11. Jamie Burrows
9. Mark Beck 10. Shaun Jeffers
12. Artur Krysiak (46 mins for Chris Weale) 13. Sonny Black (59 mins for Marc Laird) 14. Shaun Keith (65 mins for Matt Dolan) 15. Max Melanson 16. Brandon Beresford (46 mins for Stephen Arthurworrey) 17. Jennison Myrie-Williams (46 mins for Jamie Burrows) 18. Jayden Corbridge 19. Ryan Bird (46 mins for Mark Beck).
Swansea City Under-21s:
1. Josh Vickers 2. Connor Roberts (Capt) 3. Raheem Manley 4. Jay Fulton 5. Stephen Kingsley 6. Joe Rodon 7. Ryan Hedges 8. Josh Sheehan 9. Owain Jones 10. Henry Jones 11. Mo Barrow
12. Keston Davies (64 mins for Joe Rodon) 13. Oliver Davies 14. Dan Alfei (72 mins for Connor Roberts) 15. Kyle Copp (80 mins for Henry Jones) 16. Dan James (72 mins for Ryan Hedges) 17. Alex Samuel (46 mins for Owain Jones)
Referee: Lee Swabey. Assistants: Adrian Tranter and Andrew Quin.
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page