Yeovil Town beat local rivals Bristol Rovers this evening in the club's fifth pre-season friendly of the month, to break a run of three draws. The damage was done early in the second half as former Crewe Alexandra striker AJ Leitch-Smith scored twice in the opening ten minutes, converting crosses on both occasions for his fourth and fifth goals since his arrival in Somerset.
The opening 45 minutes was a fairly low-key affair, that saw the Glovers look strong in defence, but struggled to break out and create a significant number of chances, with the few that came their way falling to two of the unnamed trialists, who were playing as wingers on the night. With a third member of the midfield quartet also being a trialist, in the form of Simon Gillett, there was a lack of attacking fluency during the opening half.
Matters changed very quickly after the break, with a number of second half substitutions. One of those - Kieffer Moore - made an instant impact, with his first contribution being to feed AJ Leitch-Smith with a cross, as his strike partner confidently fired home to give Yeovil the lead.
Ten minutes into the half and Yeovil doubled their lead, as right-back Seth Nana Twumasi's cross into the box couldn't be cleared by the Bristol Rovers back line, and AJ Leitch-Smith fired home from inside the penalty box for a 2-0 scoreline. The second half included the inevitable raft of second half substitutions, with only Chris Weale staying out on the pitch for the full 90 minutes, and further showings for 'Trialist C' and Andy Welsh - striker Achille Campion was not one of the unnamed trio, with the assumption that he has headed to Portman Road to try his luck with Ipswich Town in their friendly match against Colchester United on Wednesday.
Final Score: Yeovil Town 2 Bristol Rovers 0.
Scorers: AJ Leitch-Smith (46 mins, 1-0), AJ Leitch-Smith (55 mins, 2-0).
1. Chris Weale
2. Brendan Moloney, 5. Jakub Sokolik, 6. Aaron Martin, 3. Liam Davis
7. Trialist A, 4. Joe Edwards, 8. Simon Gillett, 11. Trialist B
9. James Hayter, 10. AJ Leitch-Smith.
12. Artur Krysiak, 13. Nathan Smith (46 mins for Liam Davis), 14. Seth Nana Twumasi (46 mins for Brendan Moloney), 15. Matteo Lanzoni (75 mins for Jakub Sokolik), 16. Calvin Brooks (75 mins for Aaron Martin), 17. Kevin Dawson (46 mins for Trialist A), 18. Nathan Ralph (75 mins for Seth Nana Twumasi), 19. Sam Foley (46 mins for Trialist B), 20. Kieffer Moore (46 mins for James Hayter), 21. Trialist C (75 mins for Simon Gillett), 22. Andy Welsh (68 mins for AJ Leitch-Smith).
1. Steve Mildenhall 2. Ryan Higgins 3. Lee Brown 4. Tom Lockyer 5. Mark McChrystal 6. Tom Parkes 7. Lee Mansell 8. Ollie Clarke 9. Ryan Brunt 10. Matty Taylor 11. Jake Gosling
12. Stuart Sinclair 14. Jamie White 15. Daniel Thompson 16. Neil Trotman 17. Ellis Harrison 18. Dominic Thomas 1. Kieran Preston.
Referee: Christopher Powell. Assistants: Mark Derrien and Richard Hulme. Fourth Official: Brendan Malone.
Attendance: 1,498 (including 289 Bristol Rovers supporters).
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page