Yeovil Town gained their third consecutive draw in pre-season as they shared one goal each against Championship side Reading at Huish Park this afternoon. A Pavel Pogrebnyak headed goal early in the second period was cancelled out 18 minutes from time when a Liam Davis free kick was converted by a player simply known as Trialist B - but understood to be Achille Campion - one of four players who have been unnamed on the teamsheet over the last two matches.
The Glovers fielded two new faces in their starting line-up, although both were very familiar faces. Left-winger Andy Welsh and midfielder Simon Gillett were both hoping to earn contracts with the club they'd both served in the past, having been released by Scunthorpe United and Nottingham Forest respectively. They took part in a first half in which the visitors dominated to an extent, albeit without too many chances - Pavel Pogrebnyak's header at Artur Krysiak was one of their better efforts, but the keeper benefited by the close range attempt being planted straight at him.
The most concerning point of the half came right on the break, with the match referee having blown up for half time. With Andy Welsh and a Reading player lying prone on the deck following a head injury, it was the Glovers trialist who had clearly come off the worst - lying motionless for a few minutes until he finally moved and sat up. He was stretchered off with an obvious head wound - the second Yeovil player to withdraw through injury given that Ben Nugent had been taken out of the team just before kick-off and replaced by Jakub Sokolik - the Cardiff defender did not feature during the 90 minutes.
The second period opened up almost immediately with a Reading goal. A Ryan Edwards cross was met by a Pavel Pogrebnyak close range header as he gained room between a Glovers defender and the goalkeeper to open up the scoring. Reading almost netted again when Sean Morrison hit the crossbar as a slightly sleepy start to the half by the Glovers undid them.
Fortunately Reading's momentum was thwarted by them making nine substitutions an hour into the match, coupled by Yeovil introducing five players themselves, with Brendan Moloney, Liam Davis and James Hayter joining two of the unnamed trialists. One of those forced Reading substitute keeper Adam Federici into a flying save as Achille Campion planted a header that the Australian could only tip onto his crossbar, with Royals defenders clearing their lines.
With eighteen minutes remaining though, there was little Federici could do about Achille Campion's next header. A Liam Davis free kick was taken just as Yeovil made yet more substitutions. The ball found its way to the far post, and the Frenchman headed home for the equalising goal.
Thereafter Reading's young team - made up largely of Under-21 players by this point - struggled to contain some of the pace behind the Yeovil substitutes. Jake Cooper would have been red-carded in any other game, as he hauled back Trialist A who was clean through on goal - referee Philip Gibbs chose to recognise this game as a pre-season friendly and merely give Cooper a finger-wagging. In the end both sides had to settle for the draw - from a Yeovil point of view there was plenty of interest out there, with the identity of Trialist A (right-wing) and Achille Campion (Trialist B) particularly causing conversation after the match - it would be a surprise if manager Gary Johnson didn't want to see them in action again in some capacity.
Final Score: Yeovil Town 1 Reading 1.
Scorers: Pavel Pogrebnyak (0-1, 48 mins), Achille Campion (1-1, 73 mins)
1. Artur Krysiak
2. Seth Nana Twumasi 15. Jakub Sokolik 6. Aaron Martin 3. Nathan Smith
7. Kevin Dawson 4. Joe Edwards 8. Simon Gillett 11. Andy Welsh
9. Kieffer Moore 10. AJ Leitch-Smith
12. Chris Weale 13. Nathan Ralph (73 mins for Joe Edwards) 14. Matteo Lanzoni (73 mins for Jakub Sokolik) 5. Ben Nugent 16. Brendan Moloney (60 mins for Seth Nana Twumasi) 17. Trialist A (60 mins for Kieffer Moore) 18. Liam Davis (60 mins for Nathan Smith) 19. James Hayter (60 mins for AJ Leitch-Smith) 20. Achille Campion (60 mins for Kevin Dawson) 21. Trialist C (73 mins for Simon Gillett) 22. Trialist D (46 mins for Andy Welsh) 23. Calvin Brooks (73 mins for Aaron Martin)
20. Alex McCarthy
2. Chris Gunter 5. Alex Pearce 6. Sean Morrison 11. Jordan Obita
15. Michael Hector 16. Hope Akpan 22. Nick Blackman
36. Ryan Edwards
7. Pavel Pogrebnyak
1. Adam Federici (46 mins for Alex McCarthy) 9. Hal Robson-Kanu 18. Aaron Tshibola 24. Shaun Cummings 28. Aaron Kuhl 26. Dom Hyam 31. Mikkel Anderson 32. Sean Long 35. Jake Cooper 37. Jack Stacey (for Nick Blackman) 27. Liam Kelly 33. Tariqe Fosu
Referee: Philips Gibbs Assistants: Kevin Morris and Derek Eaton. Fourth Official: Richard Swaine.
Attendance: 1,153 (including 201 Reading supporters).
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page