Yeovil Town's relegation to League One was 100 percent confirmed on Friday night, as a 2-0 defeat against Brighton and Hove Albion saw them run mathematically short of an escape route in their penultimate fixture of the 2013-14 season. Despite holding the Seagulls for a large proportion of the match, late goals from Kazenga LuaLua and Jesse Lingard sealed their fate.
The Glovers played their part in a match that saw them twice hit the crossbar, with Ruben Palazuelos producing a stunning first half drive from the edge of the box that had Tomasz Kuszczak easily beaten, with the keeper having to punch the ball away as it rebounded down close to his own goal line, with players charging in to take advantage. Then in the second half Joe Edwards hit a rising shot that clipped the top of the crossbar, after it had been laid back to him.
Brighton though possessed plenty of quality on their substitutes bench as well as in their first eleven, and that was proven when Kazenga LuaLua was introduced with 16 minutes remaining. He needed just four minutes to make his introduction known - albeit with the opening goal having a degree of fortune to it. His cross into the box from the left evaded an incoming Brighton striker as Leonardo Ulloa stretched to get a boot on it, but in doing so meant that the ball carried through and past a deceived Marek Stech and into the far corner.
Yeovil pushed players forward in the closing stages, with Byron Webster deployed as a striker in a tactical reshuffle. But in the dying seconds of the match, Manchester United loanee Jesse Lindgard connected with a Solly March cross inside the box, connecting well to seal all three points, much to the relief of the Brighton fans who saw their side move into the top six Championship play-off positions thanks to that win.
For Yeovil, it means the Championship dream is over, although the standing ovation the 471 travelling supporters gave their players at the end of the game, and the away shirts that were thrown into the crowd by the appreciative players show that there is still plenty of pride and heart about what was achieved by the Glovers during this season.
Link: 2013-14 Latest Championship Table.
Final Score: Brighton and Hove Albion 2 Yeovil Town 0.
Scorers: Kazenga LuaLua (78 mins, 1-0), Jesse Lindgard (90 mins, 2-0)
Brighton and Hove Albion:
29. Tomasz Kuszczak
2. Bruno 3. Gordon Greer 5. Lewis Dunk 17. Stephen Ward
6. Dale Stephens 4. Keith Andrews 11. Andrea Orlandi
30. Will Buckley 19. Leonardo Ulloa 35. Jesse Lingard
9. David Rodriguez 12. Craig Mackail-Smith 14. Inigo Calderon 16. Casper Ankergren 18. Jake Forster-Caskey (76 mins for Dale Stephens) 25. Kazenga LuaLua (74 mins for Will Buckley) 27. Solly March (64 mins for Andrea Orlandi)
Yeovil Town (4-4-2):
1. Marek Stech
2. Luke Ayling 5. Byron Webster 15. Shane Duffy 3. Jamie McAllister (Captain)
11. Tom Lawrence 4. Joe Edwards 8. Ruben Palazuelos 19. Joe Ralls
9. James Hayter 14. Sam Hoskins
24. Chris Dunn 7. Kevin Dawson (87 mins for James Hayter) 10. Sam Foley 18. Matteo Lanzoni (86 mins for Ruben Palazuelos) 21. Liam Davis (60 mins for Tom Lawrence) 23. Joel Grant 26. Seth Nana Ofori-Twumasi
Brighton Bookings: Keith Andrews (64 mins, foul)
Yeovil Bookings: Shane Duffy (53 mins, foul), Liam Davis (73 mins, foul).
Brighton Match Statistics: Possession: 56%; Shots: 23; Shots On Target: 6; Corners: 8; Fouls: 11.
Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 44%; Shots: 8; Shots On Target: 2; Corners: 3; Fouls: 17.
Referee: Andrew Madley. (West Yorkshire). Assistants: Constantine Hatzidakis (Kent) and Craig Hicks (Surrey). Fourth Official: Andy Woolmer (Northamptonshire).
Attendance: 26,901 (with 471 Yeovil fans).
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page