Yeovil Town gained what might have in any other circumstances have been a superb draw against Championship league leaders Leicester City tonight - but it could have so easily been all three points. The Glovers conceded in the 90th minute, having held the lead for almost 70 minutes of the match, when a free kick from Cardiff City loanee Joe Ralls was curled in to give them the lead - slightly against the run of play, but certainly a testament to their battling display.
The Glovers could have extended their lead on a couple of occasions early in the second half when Ishmael Miller grabbed chances - one superbly saved by Kasper Schmeichel and the other curling just wide. Eventually though it was inevitable that Leicester would pile players forward for an equaliser. Introducing Lloyd Dyer, Chris Wood and Kevin Phillips onto the pitch as substitutes, the Foxes more or less fielded a four man strike force towards the end of the match and Yeovil were forced to adopt a rearguard action.
Just as the game swung into three minutes of injury time, a Danny Drinkwater cross into the box was headed against the underside of the crossbar by goalkeeper Kasper Schmeichel after the Dane stayed up field following a corner, and although Chris Wood swept home the loose ball, the eventual goal was awarded to the goalkeeper for his initial header.
On any other night, a point at Leicester would be a superb scoreline for any team in the Championship. But with Charlton Athletic getting a late winner at Nottingham Forest and Barnsley getting a shock 3-1 win at Reading, Yeovil stay in the bottom three, and Charlton's games in hand start to look very significant indeed. Saturday's home match against Barnsley verges on 'must win' territory for both clubs.
Link: 2013-14 Latest Championship Table.
Final Score: Leicester City 1 Yeovil Town 1.
Scorers: Joe Ralls (0-1, 22 mins), Kasper Schmeichel (1-1, 90 mins)
1. Kasper Schmeichel
2. Ritchie de Laet 27. Marcin Wasilewski 5. Wes Morgan 15. Jeffrey Schlupp
24. Anthony Knockaert 4. Danny Drinkwater 8. Matthew James 26. Riyad Mahrez
35. David Nugent 9. Jamie Vardy
7. Dean Hammond 10. Andy King 11. Lloyd Dyer (62 mins for Marcin Wasilewski) 18. Liam Moore 25. Conrad Logan 28. Kevin Phillips (67 mins for David Nugent) 39. Chris Wood (67 mins for Jamie Vardy)
Yeovil Town (4-4-2):
1. Marek Stech
2. Luke Ayling 5. Byron Webster 15. Shane Duffy 3. Jamie McAllister (Captain)
7. Kevin Dawson 4. Joe Edwards 19. Joe Ralls 11. Tom Lawrence
13. Kieffer Moore 27. Ishmael Miller
9. James Hayter (84 mins for Ishmael Miller) 14. Sam Hoskins 18. Matteo Lanzoni 21. Liam Davis (90 mins for Tom Lawrence) 24. Chris Dunn 26. Seth Nana Ofori-Twumasi 29. Adam Morgan
Leicester Bookings: None.
Yeovil Bookings: Jamie McAllister (foul, 65 mins).
Leicester Match Statistics: Possession: 67%; Shots: 31; Shots On Target: 8; Corners: 10; Fouls: 8.
Yeovil Match Statistics: Possession: 33%; Shots: 10; Shots On Target: 4; Corners: 3; Fouls: 14.
Referee: Andrew Madley (West Yorkshire). Assistants: Paul Cook (East Yorkshire) and Mark Russell (Somerset). Fourth Official: Stephen Bratt (West Midlands).
Attendance: 26,240 (including 245 Yeovil supporters.).
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page