Yeovil Town won their third pre-season friendly in four matches this evening, as they defeated Dorchester Town by a 3-0 scoreline. Returning to the Avenue Stadium for the second time in three days, two goals from Reading loanee Gozie Ugwu and another from winger Lewis Young, kept a degree of momentum going, along with their third clean sheet in a row.
The team selected was a slightly mixed one, with Gareth Stewart, Nathan Ralph, Sam Foley and Gozie Ugwu getting a chance to impress in the starting line-up, whilst Jamie McAllister got an opportunity to see what he could do in the slightly unfamiliar position of centre-back. Gavin Williams provided the slightly deeper striking role alongside Ugwu in a 4-4-1-1 formation.
The Glovers dominated the first period, and probably the main criticism was that it took them 35 minutes to find the net. Lewis Young put wide, Gozie Ugwu put a , whilst Luke Ayling did the same with a pair of headers. Ten minutes before the break though, Gozie Ugwu, who had earlier put two chances wide, got third time lucky, as he received a ball from Gavin Williams. Turning his marker, he created himself room, then shot left-footed across the face of goal for Yeovil's opener.
Yeovil could have been further ahead at the break, as Keanu Marsh-Brown had an effort saved by former Glovers keeper Jason Matthews, and although the ball was parried, Ugwu couldn't get the rebound, and so the Glovers went in at the break a single goal to the good. The break saw a quartet of substitutions - Gavin Williams replaced by James Hayter to form a more orthodox 4-4-2, but otherwise the replacements of Ed Upson for Rohan Ince and centre-back pairings Byron Webster and Jamie McAllister for Richard Hinds and Curtis Haynes-Brown were direct swaps.
Gozie Ugwu doubled his tally and Yeovil's scoreline ten minutes into the second period, when Chelsea midfielder Rohan Ince drove a low ball across the area, and the Reading player was on hand to smash the ball home from inside the box. Then in a half inevitably disrupted a touch by a mass of substitutions, and a large number of Under-18s players getting their chance to stretch their legs, Lewis Young got the third five minutes from time, as he dribbled his way into the box and beat Dorchester keeper Jason Matthews at his near post, from an acute angle.
Once again, a decent workout with a few 'lesser' players managing to get their chance tonight and one or two different ideas in terms of personnel. Jamie McAllister looked solid enough in his centre-back role, whilst Gozie Ugwu got a big boost in grabbing two goals, meaning that all of Yeovil's strikers have now found the net. Next up is Bristol Rovers, in a lunchtime kick-off, where supporters will finally get to see what Huish Park looks like these days.
Final Score: Dorchester Town 0 Yeovil Town 3.
Scorers: Gozie Ugwu (0-1, 35 mins), Gozie Ugwu (0-2, 55 mins), Lewis Young (0-3, 85 mins)
1. Gareth Stewart
2. Luke Ayling 5. Byron Webster 4. Jamie McAllister 3. Nathan Ralph
7. Lewis Young 6. Sam Foley 8. Ed Upson 11. Keanu Marsh-Brown
10. Gavin Williams 9 Gozie Ugwu
12. Marek Stech 14. Mitch Brundle (70 mins for Luke Ayling) 15. Richard Hinds (46 mins for Byron Webster) 16. Curtis Haynes-Brown (46 mins for Jamie McAllister) 17. Rohan Ince (46 mins for Ed Upson) XX. James Hayter (46 mins for Gavin Williams), XX. Will Agbo (86 mins for Lewis Young) XX. Curtis Hansford, XX. Charlie Ware (70 mins for Keanu Marsh-Brown) XX. Tommy Smith
1. Jason Matthews 2. Harry Bell 3. Neil Martin 4. Mark Jermyn 5. Nathan Walker 6. Jamie Gleeson 7. Nick Crittenden 8. Ashley Nicholls 9. Ryan Dowell 10. Sam Malsom 11. John Vance
12. Kyle Critchell (46 mins for Nick Crittenden) 14. Jamie Symes (51 mins for Sam Malsom) 15. Danny Way (78 mins for Neil Martin). 16. Lewis Morgan (46 mins for John Vance) 17. Josh Tennant 18. Elliott Ward (68 mins for Harry Bell).
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page