Yeovil Town midfielder Dominic Blizzard has said that he had always had plans to sign his new contract at Huish Park, despite a couple of late twists and turns along the way this week. On Monday the club indicated that the 28 year old's contract offer had been withdrawn from the table, but by Thursday everything was back on, with Blizzard agreeing a one year deal.
With the former Bristol Rovers player now agreeing to move into his second season at the club, he has told BBC Somerset that he was glad to get his deal finally sorted, and that not too much had changed in his own thinking during those three days:
"Not a lot really, to be honest. I thought that I'd be signed up as well already. But what's most important is that I've signed. To be honest, I wasn't ever really not going to sign. So I'm just pleased that it's been done eventually now."
Blizzard said that he has spent this week talking to the Glovers backroom staff about the future and to help resolve the situation that had developed earlier in the week. He admitted that getting things worked through with first team manager Gary Johnson was vital for him:
"Obviously he's massively important. I've spoken to the gaffer and I've spoken to pretty much all of the members of staff. I get on really well with everyone at the club. I've enjoyed my time there and everyone is excellent to work with, and I'm just really happy with the whole environment. That's why I'm more than happy to sign again."
Blizzard had a rather lop-sided 2011-12 season, featuring in just three fixtures before October 22nd, as he struggled to find his fitness following an injury during pre-season. However, from mid-February onwards, he made 17 appearances thus clocking up over half of his 32 games inside two and a half months. He felt that he was finishing strongly as the season ended:
"It's nice to get the games under the belt, and I think that, just like any player, the more games (you play) the more you find your level. So I was feeling good and I still feel like I've got another couple of gears to go up. I'm hopeful that I will find that next season, obviously with a good pre-season, which I didn't have last season. So I'm really looking forward to it."
Apart from staying fit during pre-season, Blizzard added that he hoped to produce more attacking play from his midfield berth for the 2012-13 season, having had to play as a defensive blocker in front of the back four for much of the season just gone. Although he said he would be working on his overall midfield play:
"There's a bit of everything, really. This season I've been having to do a bit more of the defensive side for the team, which I don't mind doing, as long as it helps us win games and stuff. But I know that I can get forward and create goals and score and stuff like that. So there are things that I will be looking to add a little bit more to next season."
Link: Dominic Blizzard : Yeovil Town Statistics.
Comment on this News Item on Facebook
or Go back to Top of Page